Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   the good old days THE BLOCKADE (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/the-good-old-days-the-blockade-51207.html)

johnenglish 09-01-2010 18:13

the good old days THE BLOCKADE

Saw the post on pubs last night and remember this one the blockade .
Joyce was the landady,Eddie and john her son .
any one else got a few tales , I have but will add them as the thread grows.

Wynonie Harris 09-01-2010 18:39

Re: the good old days THE BLOCKADE

The Blockade...a pub amongst pubs! You could actually "alter your consciousness" just by breathing the air in the backroom. ;) Remember one night, a young lady who had been...err...taking some "medication", removing all her clothes and dancing on the pool table. This being, the Block, nobody bothered much. :D

cashman 09-01-2010 18:53

was having a pint at corner of bar one night, was a guy i knew sat on a high stool round barfront, i decided to go fer a pee, on way through was a guy on telephone- saying hes sat at the bar now, thought nowt of it, approx 5/6 mins later back supping me pint n another guy i know runs in pub, grabs guy on stool, nuts him etc etc, stood tall n says= Am i still barred Eddie? Class pure Class.:D

johnenglish 09-01-2010 19:14

ROFTFL
Just wondering anyone had the pleasure of watching spoof played at the bar on Fri,sun night.
see you later

expatcheshirelad 09-01-2010 19:30

A sign behind the bar might be help
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7293056_s.jpg

Mancie 09-01-2010 21:39

"hells kitchen"...was one of the back rooms and thinking about it now it was small..apart from the usuall stuff it was the first time I heard of Tequila slamming..whatching bods faces cringe up after salt n lemon was funny..and you could smoke in them days.:)

yerself 09-01-2010 21:43

The Blockade had one of the best juke boxes in Accy.

cashman 09-01-2010 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 777099)
"hells kitchen"...was one of the back rooms and thinking about it now it was small..apart from the usuall stuff it was the first time I heard of Tequila slamming..whatching bods faces cringe up after salt n lemon was funny..and you could smoke in them days.:)

was introduced to Southern Comfort wi Canada Dry in that room.:D already smoked.:D

Mancie 09-01-2010 21:56

I know old codgers go on about the good old days ..but the Block was a pub you could rely on to sort out a dull night.. I don't know how they got away with it..bleedin long haired hippies!:D

cashman 09-01-2010 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 777107)
I know old codgers go on about the good old days ..but the Block was a pub you could rely on to sort out a dull night.. I don't know how they got away with it..bleedin long haired hippies!:D

Always had a theory about that, cos know fer a fact the "Drug Squad" were well aware.:D

Mancie 09-01-2010 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 777102)
was introduced to Southern Comfort wi Canada Dry in that room.:D already smoked.:D

Just reminded me Cashy.. once came across a bloke called "Bonzo" introduced me to a drink he called a "mind blower".. creme de menth plus double perno.. and it is a mind blower!

cashman 09-01-2010 22:06

Some of the tales John not a good idea to tell em on here,i think.:D

Wynonie Harris 09-01-2010 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 777099)
and you could smoke in them days.:)

...oh yes, you could smoke...I smoked loads of stuff in there...I even smoked ordinary fags sometimes. ;)

cashman 09-01-2010 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 777124)
...oh yes, you could smoke...I smoked loads of stuff in there...I even smoked ordinary fags sometimes. ;)

they were ordinary fags in those days.:D

Mancie 09-01-2010 22:45

Hey it don't matter much now.. lets be honest the Block was the place to go if you wanted to partake in the old "have a smoke and get loadsa curry and chappattis"...or for the less well cultered Grammer school boys the "lets go home and play Ludo with my parents" :D