Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Shops in Peel Street (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/shops-in-peel-street-5620.html)

WillowTheWhisp 20-09-2004 13:24

Shops in Peel Street

Can anyone remember the ''original'' four shops which had almost identical fronts with different coloured mosaic tiling at the top (still there on three) just below what was then Blackburn Trustee Savings Bank in Peel Street? The top one of the four was eventaully taken over by the bank when they enlarged their premises, leaving just three.

I know the next but one to the bank was Veevers and I vaguely remember going in there, the smell of freshly ground coffee, a chair for customers to sit on and tins of biscuits with windows in the lids.

I believe the one the bank took over was Noble's and was it a shoe shop?

What about the other two? The names Crompton and Harris's come to mind. In fact you can almost see a shadow of the name "HARRIS'S" in the mosaic above one, but what were they?

Although I remember them looking new I have no idea what was there before.

Darby 20-09-2004 13:49

Re: Shops in Peel Street

Sorry Willow....I can't remember shops names for the love of it...Unless it sold...beer, wine, spirits or sports gear or records. I'm good at remembering Pubs though...but that's no help to you..............sorry!!

Ifty 20-09-2004 22:26

I know what shoops are you mean but dont know what they were sorry.

WillowTheWhisp 21-09-2004 06:44

Maybe someone has an old photo?

Tricia 21-09-2004 07:46

I know one of them was a children's outfitters. It was owned by a friend of my mother's but I don't remember the name. I do remember buying my school uniform there - and a frilly blue satin party dress (yukk! - but which I thought was the bees knees at the time, and which I never got to wear to the party because the person who had invited me had told me the wrong date!)

WillowTheWhisp 21-09-2004 07:50

I think I got my Peel Park uniform from Isobel Winter's which was across the road.

Shame you never got to wear that dress. I had a pink frilly one with numerous net underskirts to make it stand out. Ah what memories.

Tricia 25-09-2004 20:50

Yes. Isobel Winter - that was the name I was trying to remember. It seems I was thinking of the shops on the opposite side of the street from the ones you had in mind. Isobel Winters was about the second or third down from the top on the left hand side if you were walking towards the centre of town (same side as the old Palace cinema).

One of the shops on the other side of the road was a grocers or confectioners. I do remember they sold some very nice small fancy cakes.

Retlaw 28-11-2004 22:10

What about O'Connors Furniture.Relaw

WillowTheWhisp 29-11-2004 07:02

Where was that one located?

les stewart 15-12-2004 18:39

First time post from New zealand. From memory, the original shops were demolished after a runaway truck crashed into them. I think the driver's brakes failed on Manchester Road.

WillowTheWhisp 15-12-2004 22:03

Any idea what year that was?

les stewart 15-12-2004 22:25

Maybe late 1950's? Gets foggier the further back I go.

les stewart 15-12-2004 22:35

Maybe late 1950's? Gets foggier the further back I go.

jelly baby 16-12-2004 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by les stewart
First time post from New zealand. From memory, the original shops were demolished after a runaway truck crashed into them. I think the driver's brakes failed on Manchester Road.

Are you thinking about the shops at the top of Little Blackburn Rd?
A truck crashed into them, where the traffic lights are, next to Stanleys jewellers.

fibi 16-12-2004 10:21

Hope i'm on the right side of the road here but I think one of the shops was either lighting or carpets it would be the one nearest the market. Let me know if i'm off track and should be on the other side.