Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   My early life in Accy 1946-68 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/my-early-life-in-accy-1946-68-a-59687.html)

Margaret Pilkington 05-10-2017 07:00

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1202539)
Ecky thump Margaret, tha dusn'd ayf bring back memories, my grandad Fenwick lived on Higher Antley St, only a door or two away from thi Grandma, Daniel's coyle, think he moved to Lee St an took oer a pub, cake shop at top end of Major St, facing back Higher Antley St, they med some right gradely Parkin, A thowt ice cream man were Clemson, delivered in a horse drawn milk float.
I used to do me Grandads shpping for him during last war, armed wit basket, ration books, an money, you could get every thin you ever needed in shops in Woodnook, last stop were for his tobacco, fromt shop on Nuttall St, he always gave me a brand new penny, aypenny for that, and I was too watch closely as grandads baccy was cut off a large coil of black twist, an balanced the penny, aypenny. Dusnd thowts like thad start you ramblin thro time, ell fire near 75 years since. And tha geet punced eyut o skoo wen tha wur 14 an all. :hehetable

The ice cream man might have been Clemsons for you, but in my time it was Birtwells.
You were right about the Daniels...they did branch out and the pub they had in Accrington was The Kings Arms.
In fact, when I was in Rough lee having my daughter, one of the younger generation of the Daniels was in there having her son...we reminisced about how it was when we were children.
I didn't tell her that I often went with a coal shovel and riddled under the coal yard gate for whatever would fall on the shovel.(frequently not much other than a bit of 'slack').

Frank...that has solved the mystery. I have racked my brains trying to remember who had the greengrocers.

Mark2009 05-10-2017 10:18

The Daniels brothers were Frank and Jack. One had the Kings Arms on Lee St around the corner from where we lived on Plantation Street and the other had the Coal business. Not sure now which was which.
Mark

Luckyboy 08-03-2021 13:12

HI Sue. Just read your memories and the subsequent links.Between 1947 and 1951 I lived on Haywood Rd near the Co-op and Meadow St. and have vivid memories of Whalley Rd Congregational YC and standing on the iron bridge while the trains passed under. In later years Arcs was a popular place on Sunday afternoons but we always went to the Con on Saturdays and Mondays

rtbarton 08-03-2021 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyboy (Post 1251327)
...standing on the iron bridge while the trains passed under. ...

Do you mean the foot bridge at the end of Meadow Bank, near Back Owen St.?

I used to watch the trains go under it in the 1950s, steam in those days which made it more interesting.

My grandparents lived on Whalley Rd and the had a flat roofed extension which I used to stand on pretending to be the signalman, you could see the signal from there.

Happy days :)

cashman 10-03-2021 18:44

i used to train spot yon in the 50s lived on dowry st then.

ferret man 11-03-2021 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 1202553)
The Daniels brothers were Frank and Jack. One had the Kings Arms on Lee St around the corner from where we lived on Plantation Street and the other had the Coal business. Not sure now which was which.
Mark

Jack had the pub Frank did the coal, Jack retired, Frank took the pub,Phill took the coal,Frank retired Phil took the pub and so on.