Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   My early life in Accy 1946-68 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/my-early-life-in-accy-1946-68-a-59687.html)

Eric 06-11-2011 22:12

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 944846)
So you would be from Clayton then Eric? I'm always amazed at how manyof these names we can remember from way back when.

It's also amazing how the memory, once triggered, shifts into high gear. I hadn't thought about those two in a coon's age (sorry about the colonial imagery;)) ... but when I was eleven I hated Suzanne ... she was the teacher's pet in the top form. Miss Pilkington:mad: Suzanne came top of the class, but only because Miss Pilkington marked me low for conduct. And Christine was always so perfect ... so plastic ... so Barbie. Of course, it's all childish and all in the distant past ... but it did bring to mind Ernest Musgrave ... he was picked on because he was dumb and ugly (brutal terms, I know, but kids are cruel) ... but now, as I think back, he was a great kid ... friendly and generous ... I'm starting to remember with greater clarity ... all I have to do is to start to put names to faces. Raymond Pye ... Jack Dewar ... Terrence Gibbons ....

Oh, and that was a great pic of the prefects by the way ... and you were the cutest of the bunch;):D

susie123 06-11-2011 23:04

!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 945668)
It's also amazing how the memory, once triggered, shifts into high gear. I hadn't thought about those two in a coon's age (sorry about the colonial imagery;)) ... but when I was eleven I hated Suzanne ... she was the teacher's pet in the top form. Miss Pilkington:mad: Suzanne came top of the class, but only because Miss Pilkington marked me low for conduct. And Christine was always so perfect ... so plastic ... so Barbie. Of course, it's all childish and all in the distant past ... but it did bring to mind Ernest Musgrave ... he was picked on because he was dumb and ugly (brutal terms, I know, but kids are cruel) ... but now, as I think back, he was a great kid ... friendly and generous ... I'm starting to remember with greater clarity ... all I have to do is to start to put names to faces. Raymond Pye ... Jack Dewar ... Terrence Gibbons ....

Oh, and that was a great pic of the prefects by the way ... and you were the cutest of the bunch;):D

Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww thanks Eric! Know what you mean about Christine - she was just the same at the high school. Hope she isn't reading this. And Suzanne was always clever.

I think all this memory work is good for us, keeps the grey cells going. Accyweb is addictive and time consuming, but fun!

Cheers
Sue

PS if you think I was cute in that pic, wait till you see the next lot I post!

susie123 07-11-2011 12:24

3 Attachment(s)
Today, three more photos for you to laugh at. This time it’s my class at Central Prep school. The first with all the sellotape marks was the year I left, dated 8 July 1957, and most of my class mates had signed it on the back.

Here goes with names:

Back row, John Duckworth (Harwood), Michael Patton (?Ossy), John Livesey (lived up Willows Lane), Keith Mimnagh (was a choirboy at All Saints Clayton, I had a real crush on him, used to go all weak at the knees when I saw him in his choirboy gear on the annual walking day. Had an older brother Ian), John Stott, Adrian Hessey (Harwood), Dennis Smith (Haslingden), Ian Wright, Barry Jefferson, Roger McIntyre, Christopher McKiernan (lived on Lime Road or thereabouts, his father was plumber or electrician or perhaps both), David Foster (?Fern Gore), John Beard

Third row, Gladys ?, Kathleen Adamson, ?, Jennifer Jones, Diane Goulbourn, Pat Martin, Angela Cooper (lived first house, north side of Queens Road West. She died of cancer when she was about 15 or 16, I went to her funeral just before Christmas, very emotional. Her boyfriend was Richard Oldroyd who lived on Whalley Road just below the hospital with twin brother Geoff), Rona Rushton, ?, Jacqueline ?

Second row, Susan Sagar (lived in Cedar Street), Carol Riley, Christine Cowell, Sandra Adamson, Hilary Camp, Marilyn Waring, Kathleen Hornby, Carol Pickup, ?, Barbara Hartley, Jean Stafford (Haslingden)

Front row, Me, Marion Long, Kirsten Ecroyd, Eric Blunstone (lived in Park Street, two older brothers Colin and Geoff), Susan Ayre (father a minister, older sister Maeve, lived Whalley Road Clayton), Bernice Jacques (?lived on Owen Street), Ruth Aldred

Also signed on the back are Ann Browne and Roger Nuttall who are not in the photo, plus Valerie Evans and Catherine Goldsmith who probably are but I can’t put faces to the names.

Funny isn’t it how I can remember all the boys’ names but not the girls!

The other two photos would be from earlier years, 1956 and 1955 I guess. Don’t know which is which! I will add the names as some are the same, some different from the later one.

So for the second photo (without teacher):

Back row, David Foster, Christopher McKiernan, Adrian Hessey, Roger McIntyre, John Stott, Barry Jefferson, Roger Baldwin, Keith Mimnagh, John Livesey

Third row, Michael Patton, Pat Seville, Kathleen Hornby, Angela Cooper, Pat Martin, ?, Ann Browne, Kathleen Adamson, Maria Allen, John Duckworth

Second row, Marion Long, ?, Sandra Adamson, Ruth Aldred, Bernice Jacques, Carol Howarth, Susan Ayre, Kirsten Ecroyd, Carol Pickup, Jean Stafford, Me

Front row, Hilary Camp, Barbara Hartley, Eric Blunstone, John Beard

For the third photo, with teacher:

Back row, David Foster, Gordon Whittaker, Peter Bentley, Christopher McKiernan, Adrian Hessey, John Stott, John Livesey, Keith Mimnagh, Bernard Howarth, John Beard, John Duckworth

Third row, Eric Blunstone, Pat Seville, Kathleen Hornby, Ann Browne, Jennifer Jones, Pat Martin, ?, Kathleen Adamson, ?, Pamela Ingham, Michael Patton

Second row, Me, Marion Long, Susan Ayre, Ruth Aldred, Kirsten Ecroyd, Carol Riley, Barbara Hartley, Carol Howarth, Susan Sagar, Carol Pickup, Jean Stafford, Sandra Adamson, Bernice Jacques, Norma Hodgkinson

Front, Mary Madden, Maria Allen

I think this one must be the earliest photo as I’m so small my feet don’t quite touch the ground and I’m still wearing a hair ribbon, gone the following year. I think the teacher was Mrs Ward, though I don’t ever remember her being our class teacher. I only remember Miss Caulfield and Mrs Backhouse.

Jaysay I think on an earlier thread you were asking if anyone knew the name Barry Jefferson in connection with St Christophers. Well there is a Barry Jefferson in two of these photos, look on the back row. Haven’t heard of him since, however.

Enjoy!

mobertol 07-11-2011 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 944921)
I dont believe there were any triplets with that surname. There were the Whelan trips from Clayton

Was at school with John Whelan at St Mary's Clayton through the 70's - possibly a son of one of these Whelans? They were a good Catholic family and had a child in every class!

cashman 07-11-2011 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 945750)
Was at school with John Whelan at St Mary's Clayton through the 70's - possibly a son of one of these Whelans? They were a good Catholic family and had a child in every class!

Worked wi john fer years, bumped into him a few week ago, is living oer rishton now, was a good mate of mine,:);)

claytonx 07-11-2011 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 945752)
Worked wi john fer years, bumped into him a few week ago, is living oer rishton now, was a good mate of mine,:);)

I think there first names were Herbert, James, and Robert

mobertol 07-11-2011 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 945752)

Would that be the same John? -he's my age...if so do say hello from me when you see him - we share the same birthday and i always think of him that day every year!

jaysay 07-11-2011 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 944769)
Went to school with Suzanne Bradley and Christine Cookson at All Saints.

Was Christine Cooksons John Cooksons Sister Eric, he went on to become a brewer at Lion Brewery at Little Harwood

jaysay 07-11-2011 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly baby (Post 945156)
This was later re-named De Lacey House school and nursery, my son went there from 1980 - 1982. The head at the time was a man called Mr Norcross/Norbert?? He was later (around 1986) accused of interfering with some boys at the school, I don't know if he was convicted or not. The school moved to Rishton shortly after this. I don't know if it is still going now.

Ya thats right jelly baby De Lacey, remember the chap being accused, but can't remember if he was convicted

cashman 07-11-2011 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 945756)
Would that be the same John? -he's my age...if so do say hello from me when you see him - we share the same birthday and i always think of him that day every year!

I would assume it is,hes still only a young un like you.:) quite a big family.

susie123 07-11-2011 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 945843)
Was Christine Cooksons John Cooksons Sister Eric, he went on to become a brewer at Lion Brewery at Little Harwood

Can't remember if she had a brother but her father had the dentists on the corner of Queens Road and Whalley Road.

Jaysay the last sentence in my last post, number 78, was for you, don't know if you've seen it.

Cheers
Sue

jaysay 07-11-2011 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 945863)
Can't remember if she had a brother but her father had the dentists on the corner of Queens Road and Whalley Road.

Jaysay the last sentence in my last post, number 78, was for you, don't know if you've seen it.

Cheers
Sue

Ya its the same lad, I though he would have joined his father in the dentists, but I lost touch with John when me went to Uni as I say the next time I saw him was at Lion Brewery in the late 70s

jaysay 07-11-2011 19:59

Just looked at your post 78 Sue It was the Barry Jefferson I knew, I grew up with him, he lived in Ossy then moved to Park Road, before going to Blackpool where his parents took the Norbreck News agency behind the hotel, he eventually moved to sussex and became a director of his own high quality printing business (he served his time as a printer on the Blackpool Gazette, I haven't herd from him for over ten years since his parents died, two more on the picks one was Dave Foster founder member of the Warriors rock band and another was Peter Bentley who had his own hairdressing salon next to the black dog Ossy from about 1963 until he retired a few years ago, he now lives in the Trough of Bowland

susie123 07-11-2011 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 945869)
Just looked at your post 78 Sue It was the Barry Jefferson I knew, I grew up with him, he lived in Ossy then moved to Park Road, before going to Blackpool where his parents took the Norbreck News agency behind the hotel, he eventually moved to sussex and became a director of his own high quality printing business (he served his time as a printer on the Blackpool Gazette, I haven't herd from him for over ten years since his parents died, two more on the picks one was Dave Foster founder member of the Warriors rock band and another was Peter Bentley who had his own hairdressing salon next to the black dog Ossy from about 1963 until he retired a few years ago, he now lives in the Trough of Bowland

Thanks for the update Jaysay, I remember Barry living on Park Road.

To think I trawled all the way through the 60s pop group thread when I first found this site (don't ask me why!) and never picked up on Dave Foster!

Am I totally wrong in thinking that Peter Bentley's father had a hairdresser's too?

Thanks again
Sue

susie123 07-11-2011 21:55

3 Attachment(s)
Three more pics, from my days at Whalley Road Congregational Youth Club. The date on the back of the football team photo is 22 April 1961 and fortunately all the names are on the back so I can tell you who they all are.

Back: Ian Ormerod, Anthony Neild, John Clegg, Renwick Richardson (had such a crush on him but he just wasn’t interested), Eric Steedman (lived on Queens Road West), Peter Osbaldeston

Front: Keith Topham, Richard Oldroyd (lived on Whalley Road just below the hospital), Terry Crowther (my first boyfriend!), Michael Blackburn (think his dad may have had Sudders butchers at Oakleigh), John Eastwood

The second photo is a May Morning Breakfast, for Young People’s Weekend, 6 May 1962. I seem to remember getting up very early!

Seated at table, from left: Marjorie Walsh, Bronwyn Rowbottom (she lived at Altham West, had brother John, their dad had Len Rowbottom bike shop on Blackburn Road), me (with freshly done cottage loaf hairstyle), John Eastwood, ?, Christine ?

Serving, Mrs Hurst (she had a daughter Verena), walking behind, Sandra Staples, in background, Bill Crawshaw, youth club leader

Wonder what we did for the rest of the weekend?

The third photo is the annual walking day. I am on the extreme left, it w Jaeger ould have been 1965 as I had that dress for my parents’ silver wedding party in May of that year, bought from in Manchester at enormous expense!

You can see the pipe band in the background. We are just passing the hospital at the top of Haywood Road, crossing over Queens Road. I’m assuming that this type of event no longer takes place but I may be wrong. I can remember taking part in walking days with various churches from the age of about three.