Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   How close did we come to killing ourselves as kids???? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/how-close-did-we-come-to-killing-ourselves-as-kids-62605.html)

kestrelx 07-10-2012 18:28

Re: How close did we come to killing ourselves as kids????

Once I was nearly killed by a demented ferret! :rolleyes:

Sunflower49 08-10-2012 01:01

Some funny stories on this thread!

I was pretty reckless as a kid, always up trees and climbing about on rocks but I was sure-footed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1020998)
Came close a couple of times as a kid, but came even closer twice as a drunken teenager.:D

Lol-yes this!

entwisi 08-10-2012 11:04

been very close a couple of times on my motorbike.... at uni ( ~ 1987 ) after dropping a friend off at RAF Valley, coming back over Britannia bridge at 2am I was lent over and sweeping across the whole of the dual carriageway when the back wheel clipped a cats eye and went completely sideways, I kicked down at the road( bye bye trainer... last time I rode when not wearing boots) to push the bike upright and was effectively "speedway" riding at somewhere north of 120mph . When I manged to pull over I couldn't stand up for nearly an hour and just sat shaking at the side of the road. another was heading out by Ribblehead/Hawes etc. suffice to say I was doing wrong side of a large number and was 2 foot above the road wondering how the heck I was going to land the thing... the bikes natural desire to stabilise after a significant wobble got me away with just a very rapid heartbeat...

I had my big motorcycle accident whilst stationary, crushing L1 vert when I was rammed from behind... I am lucky to be walking according to the docs. the crushed bone went outwards rather than inwards and damaging the spinal column.

davebtelford 31-12-2012 09:34

I think one kid on our street DID die. We had been building rafts on the factory lodge - he went back there on his own and was drowned - I think he had an epileptic fit. Older brother of my friend Gordon Russell, but I forget his first name.

Shurm 31-12-2012 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 1021590)
been very close a couple of times on my motorbike.... at uni ( ~ 1987 ) after dropping a friend off at RAF Valley, coming back over Britannia bridge at 2am I was lent over and sweeping across the whole of the dual carriageway when the back wheel clipped a cats eye and went completely sideways, I kicked down at the road( bye bye trainer... last time I rode when not wearing boots) to push the bike upright and was effectively "speedway" riding at somewhere north of 120mph . When I manged to pull over I couldn't stand up for nearly an hour and just sat shaking at the side of the road. another was heading out by Ribblehead/Hawes etc. suffice to say I was doing wrong side of a large number and was 2 foot above the road wondering how the heck I was going to land the thing... the bikes natural desire to stabilise after a significant wobble got me away with just a very rapid heartbeat...

I had my big motorcycle accident whilst stationary, crushing L1 vert when I was rammed from behind... I am lucky to be walking according to the docs. the crushed bone went outwards rather than inwards and damaging the spinal column.

That road from Hawes to Ingleton is fantastic for take offs :D

gdm27 12-01-2013 11:01

Rope swings!!! What was the highest swing you went on not thinking what would happen if you fell? Used to be one down the Clough that was about 20ft above the water, saw a guy come off that one and broke an arm and ribs!!!

maxthecollie 12-01-2013 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdm27 (Post 1036660)
Rope swings!!! What was the highest swing you went on not thinking what would happen if you fell? Used to be one down the Clough that was about 20ft above the water, saw a guy come off that one and broke an arm and ribs!!!

Over the stage at Accy Hippodrome.

jaysay 12-01-2013 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebtelford (Post 1034944)
I think one kid on our street DID die. We had been building rafts on the factory lodge - he went back there on his own and was drowned - I think he had an epileptic fit. Older brother of my friend Gordon Russell, but I forget his first name.

There was a kid had an epileptic fit fishing in the big lodge on what is Ozzy Nature reserve when I was a lad Dave, he died, but can't remember his name he was about 13 or 14 at the time, I know my old lady banned me from going near the lodges for a while because of it

Less 12-01-2013 13:58

I actually died trying to put the roof back on Stone Henge, I've led a very careful life since then!

susie123 12-01-2013 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1036697)
I actually died trying to put the roof back on Stone Henge, I've led a very careful life since then!

You obviously didn't use enough Polyfilla! :(

jaysay 12-01-2013 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1036701)

Or he was stoned at the time:rolleyes: okay I'll get mi coat:D

Less 12-01-2013 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1036701)

Too much Polyfilla!

I was underneath admiring how smooth the surface was when because of the weight, cracks started to appear, it's similar to another tale, Don't believe the story of the boy and the dyke, putting your fingers in a dykes crack will only lead to the World falling in on you.
:o

susie123 12-01-2013 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1036711)
Too much Polyfilla!

I was underneath admiring how smooth the surface was when because of the weight, cracks started to appear, it's similar to another tale, Don't believe the story of the boy and the dyke, putting your fingers in a dykes crack will only lead to the World falling in on you.
:o

How long have you been waiting for an opportunity to use that joke? Or did the crack occur to you just now? ;)

Retlaw 12-01-2013 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1036718)
How long have you been waiting for an opportunity to use that joke? Or did the crack occur to you just now? ;)

Ask him how long it took him to build the pyramids, he's been stoned ever since.:hidewall:

Less 12-01-2013 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1036721)
Ask him how long it took him to build the pyramids, he's been stoned ever since.:hidewall:

Got to admit, it was a monumental task!