Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Whalley Nab and a tree.... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/whalley-nab-and-a-tree-70956.html)

dotti34 10-02-2020 00:25

Whalley Nab and a tree....

This might seem a trivial question but does anyone know of a very large tree, either in the past or still there, somewhere up Whalley Nab and referred to as The Rookery? My brother-in-law (who lives in Australia) was relating stories of his youth to his grandson and spoke of all the times him and his mates used to go up the nab. He spoke of a massive tree that was called The Rookery because it housed so many rooks which were extremely noisy.

Although they have searched the web and found Whalley Nab on there, there is no mention of this tree. His grandson wants to know more about it and so if anyone can give me any information I would be very grateful and I will pass this on to him. Of course a photo would be a bonus

cashman 10-02-2020 12:36

Re: Whalley Nab and a tree....

peoples memories are never trivial, hope he finds out the score. soz i cant help.

gpick24 10-02-2020 14:38

"There was always the lovely noise of the swallows, weaving & diving around the square, plus the din of the rookery, in the trees of the graveyard."
Copied from here - Life Story

dotti34 10-02-2020 21:23

Many thanks for that reference, gpick, I looked it up and it really is an interesting website. As well as the quote you wrote there is also mention of a huge Silver Birch on the Nab. I wonder if my brother-in-law is getting a bit confused between the graveyard and the nab....after all he was only a young lad and it is a long time ago.

wadey 11-02-2020 21:25

You might try Billington as that is really the place but we all say Whalley

Bob Dobson 12-02-2020 13:24

There is a very active Whalley Past History Facebook page.

Margaret Pilkington 12-02-2020 15:00

Do you have to be on Facebook to access it Bob?

dotti34 14-02-2020 07:23

Thank you again gpick for the link. I think it has solved the query, as after having his memory jogged a bit my brother-in-law recalled that the tree he had in mind did have some religious connection. So although he remembers the big trees up the nab, he agrees the rookery one he was thinking about was probably the one referred to in the link as being in the churchyard.

Once again an Accyweb member has come to the rescue. Thank you.

DaveinGermany 15-02-2020 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1237032)
Once again an Accyweb member has come to the rescue. Thank you.

Who needs the Thunderbirds & International rescue eh?

Amateurs! :D