Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Aussie Irene
  • 1 Post By westendlass
  • 3 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By mallard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48   #1

A Long Time Ago

Does anyone remember the days of the street sweepers who worked for Accrington Corporation?.
Judith Addison likes this.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: A Long Time Ago

We still have one, does our street every Preston Guild Irene. has some long pincers n picks up litter,more than he sweeps.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
We still have one, does our street every Preston Guild Irene. has some long pincers n picks up litter,more than he sweeps.
Does he shove a big hand cart Cashey like the old timers used to do.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:20   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yeh they do irene, but the cart is much lighter than the owd uns. Health n Safety at Work i suppose.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:21   #5
Full Member+

A chap walks up Union rd. every morning with his cart and does a cracking job of keeping the area clean. He's no spring chicken either.
Old 06-09-2013, 16:32   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Does anyone remember the days of the street sweepers who worked for Accrington Corporation?.
I remember them ... and now I have come to this:

Street Sweeping - City of Kingston

Don't suppose there are too many hosspickles to pick up any more
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:39   #7
Senior Member+

One of my cousins was out of work for a long time, then got a job as a street sweeper in the town centre. He had a brush and handcart. Not long into the job, he felt able to go out for a drink with his mates, one of whom said, "Bloody hell, Andy. You've only been in the job five minutes and already you've got a company vehicle/"
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 20:24   #8

There as been a few on that road I retired cause of my illness but the chap what dose it now I think he took over from me
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 21:04   #9

I remember in the 50s Fred Chapman who was a street sweeper for Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council. A little chap with glasses, went round with a cart and a brush. He and his wife, I think her name was Ada, belonged to John Street Christian Institute. She was the Primary Superintendent in the Sunday School. Memories from long ago!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41   #10

[QUOTE=Judith Addison;1074741]I remember in the 50s Fred Chapman who was a street sweeper for Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council. A little chap with glasses, went round with a cart and a brush. He and his wife, I think her name was Ada, belonged to John Street Christian Institute. She was the Primary Superintendent in the Sunday School. Memories from long ago![/QUOTE

My hubby's grandad worked for most of his adult life as a street sweeper for Accrington Corporation. He worked out of the Moreton St. depot. Sometimes he was rostered to the streets around Bulloughs and Paxton St.. That was in the days when Bulloughs used to take large boxes of machinery parts down to the station to be loaded onto the trains. The method of transporting these boxes was by Clydesdale horses, pulling large wooden carts. Does anyone remember these? His job was to keep those few streets clean from horse droppings. As the horses were going backward and forward all day, it was a fulltime job to keep the streets clean
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37   #11
I am Banned

[QUOTE=Aussie Irene;1074784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I remember in the 50s Fred Chapman who was a street sweeper for Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council. A little chap with glasses, went round with a cart and a brush. He and his wife, I think her name was Ada, belonged to John Street Christian Institute. She was the Primary Superintendent in the Sunday School. Memories from long ago![/QUOTE

My hubby's grandad worked for most of his adult life as a street sweeper for Accrington Corporation. He worked out of the Moreton St. depot. Sometimes he was rostered to the streets around Bulloughs and Paxton St.. That was in the days when Bulloughs used to take large boxes of machinery parts down to the station to be loaded onto the trains. The method of transporting these boxes was by Clydesdale horses, pulling large wooden carts. Does anyone remember these? His job was to keep those few streets clean from horse droppings. As the horses were going backward and forward all day, it was a fulltime job to keep the streets clean
Yes I remember Bullough's horses, from when I was a kid, I posted on another thread about waiting for them at the bottom of Adelaide St, when we got to ride them up to the field, where they built the college of knowledge
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..