Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2009, 17:54   #1

A Slap Up Meal!!!!

Your a clever bunch here, so tell me, where does this phrase come from????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2009, 18:02   #2
God Member

Re: A Slap Up Meal!!!!

Who needs 'clever' when there is google?

Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable gives an origin and a Dickens quote.

Slap up. To have a slap up meal means to eat well. The expression goes back to the time of Charles Dickens, when it was a "slap-bang" meal, derived from cheap eating houses, where one slapped one's money down as the food was banged on the table. Why "down" has turned to "up" is probably another example of language evolution, in much the same way as "to be sold a pig in a poke" has come to mean that one has been cheated, whereas, in reality, the reason for going to a medieval market was often to buy the pig and not to be "sold a pup"!
Quote: Dickens, Sketches by Boz, 3, 36. "They lived in the same street, walked to town every morning at the same hour, dined at the same slap-bang every day."

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 18:09   #3

Went there also, doesn't seem to have the same ring that it has today. We tend to use it as a meaning for a very good meal that cost more than normal, a sort of reward for something, well in our house that is!
Old 29-12-2009, 18:29   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Went there also, doesn't seem to have the same ring that it has today. We tend to use it as a meaning for a very good meal that cost more than normal, a sort of reward for something, well in our house that is!
yep thats what i always assumed, sod dickens, long dead anyway.
Old 29-12-2009, 19:18   #5

That is the difference between North and South language, North means one thing, South means another. I learnt that when i moved here from South.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 09:37   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
That is the difference between North and South language, North means one thing, South means another. I learnt that when i moved here from South.
And the northern meaning usually makes more sense
Old 30-12-2009, 09:55   #7

nothing to do with dressing up for it, slapping on make up etc ?
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 14:21   #8

No, Jaysay, it just means that Northeners are very difficult to understand in not only their dialect but also in their customs
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 15:02   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
No, Jaysay, it just means that Northeners are very difficult to understand in not only their dialect but also in their customs
as well as dialect, difficult to understand to southerners cos northerners in the main, call a spade a spade.
Old 30-12-2009, 15:28   #10

How the heck did we get onto a North/South slaggin match???? I found out awhile ago not to go there. Born here, live there, shouldn't make too much of a problem. Back to Slap Up! (or not, it is an open forum all the same)
Old 30-12-2009, 18:18   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as well as dialect, difficult to understand to southerners cos northerners in the main, call a spade a spade.
As a Northerner - spades were always called something else in the days before PC
Old 30-12-2009, 18:23   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
How the heck did we get onto a North/South slaggin match???? I found out awhile ago not to go there. Born here, live there, shouldn't make too much of a problem. Back to Slap Up! (or not, it is an open forum all the same)
Accrington lad, but 18 years in the RAF, I lived in quite a few areas of UK - North, South even the Scottish Isles and Wales. There is a difference but most of the time it is very good natured banter.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57   #13

I thought we called a spade a shovel.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14   #14

Once got turned down for a job with Thompsom Holidays because my accent was too northern!! Guess where the interviewer came from -would you believe- Burnley- although she did her best to sound like a southerner.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 22:57   #15

Last couple of months they have just started screening Coronation St, last time I ever saw it was 1975, I cant belive Ken Barlow is still in it, & these are episods made in 2001, is he still in it, watched a couple of episods, that was it cant be bothered again. They are showing Emerdale as well back to back, watching coronation St, went to the loo, came back and didnt realize, that emerdale was on, till it finished, thought it was C St. Maybe Im just thick.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..