Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2007, 05:30   #1
God Member

Accrington Fish market

just curious , is Accy fish market still going ? used to be outside alongside the market hall , (Google earth still shows the buildings between Broadway and the market hall)
Reason for asking .....just wondering how many folks still buy fresh fish and cook it at home , what brought this to mind is I was in my local supermarket and noticed the price of fresh fish is sky high here in California and seems to be going up every week , maybe I am weird but to me farm raised freshwater fish has no taste or flavour whatsoever , unless it comes out of the sea I'm not interested , Sorry but farm raised salmon (with colour added) and giant 6" prawns imported frozen from Thailand don't cut it as fresh fish for me.
When I was a youngster Finny (Finnon) haddock and boiled spuds slathered in butter used to be regular mid-week fare when the purse was running dry, now its an expensive treat even when I fly up to Vancouver BC for a weekend break

note to moderators ...not sure if this should be in nostalgia or not . thx
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2007, 05:52   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington Fish market

Well its sort of still going there are 2 stalls selling fresh fish
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 06:46   #3
God Member

I love fish and seafood in general. Although we are in a situation where Fresh Tuna is now cheaper than Cod due to the overfishing.

The fish/meat market at Bury is brilliant though.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 06:55   #4
Resident Waffler

The thing you see on Google Earth was demolished when they knocked down the rest of the outdoor market to build the Wilkinsons block.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 07:06   #5

Thumbs up Re: Accrington Fish market

I visited good old Accrington back in 1998 after 34 years in Australia, was dying for a plate of various types of "Tripe", but was disappointed that only one stall existed at the Market, whereby back in the 50's and early 60's there were plenty (just like the fish stalls). Also here in OZ they warm tripe up and serve it with onions, how can you improve on cold tripe, cowheels, elder, and wessel?. Is nothing ssacred these days. Up The Stanley

Last edited by keith higson; 18-04-2007 at 07:07. Reason: incorrect spelling and additional comment
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 11:40   #6
God Member

Cant beat fresh fish and the best is of small day boats that land fish a few hours old. You cant beat fish that you catch yourself as it seems to taste better because you caught it yourself. As for Tuna providing it is cooked properly and slightly under done (over and its like tinned stuff) its a delight to the pallette.

The old fish market was great but like the rest of the redevelopment it has lost part of its "feel" sadly.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 11:45   #7
God Member

Dont eat fresh fish that often at the mo, have gone right off it for some reason, in need of recipe inspiration.
Old 18-04-2007, 12:34   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
Dont eat fresh fish that often at the mo, have gone right off it for some reason, in need of recipe inspiration.
Make an Admirals pie for a change.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Seafood/Fish/Main.aspx

(for other fish dishes)

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Last edited by SPUGGIE J; 18-04-2007 at 12:39.
Old 18-04-2007, 12:53   #9
God Member

Thanks for the link Spuggie, you never know I might just do that
Old 18-04-2007, 17:58   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post

...or you could make that Cornish favourite, Stargazey Pie, and have all the little fishes smiling, or scowling, up at you before tucking in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 18:40   #11
God Member

Hope thats proper Cornish Sardines in there Chef G.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 18-04-2007, 20:23   #12
God Member

That pie looks awful G, definately wouldn't be able to eat that.
Old 18-04-2007, 20:26   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm sad to hear the Fish Market has gone. I'm one of those few people who love the smell of fish and I used to love shopping in there, for my mum, when I was a teenager.

I was spoilt by living for nearly 6 years in Whitby which, certainly when I lived there, was primarily a fishing port. We would go down to the harbour early in the morning and buy fish that had just been unloaded from the trawlers or a crab that was just cooked as we arrived. I could never bear to buy a lobster, though, as they were always alive (they boiled them for you if you asked) and they used to wave their claws pathetically at you through the packing cases they were in. When my parents came to visit, my dad and I would always go down early and have our treat - oysters and mussels from a stall on the quay. I still eat a lot of fresh fish and shell-fish but it's not as fresh at Sainsburys as it was there.

Khigson, we've only 1 stall on Warrington market that sells tripe too. I love it "raw" and laced with salt, black pepper and vinegar and I eat about 1lb a week. Can't stand it cooked - it looks like cattarh and smells like sick.
Old 19-04-2007, 06:05   #14
Senior Member+

When we come over on holiday I go down Accy fish market for a couple of Gurnets and some finnon haddy. I,m lucky living 1 mile from a river that has five runs of salmon every year. I smoke lots of it {yes i know,it,s hard to light** goes down great with a beer or two.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 13:06   #15
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I'm sad to hear the Fish Market has gone.
fish market hasn't gone! just moved
and less of em!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..