Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2003, 17:21   #16

Post Re: Accy Places

Who remembers Accy Disco above Norths cleaners and the Catholic Youth Club at the top of Church St on the Bend. During the Mods era. Scooters, Parker jackets, fluffy tails hanging off areials. Mary Quant, Temptations, Jimmy Ruffin, Supremes dont u wish for the motown days again. 1965 to 1970.  Sunday night was Burnley Mecca night. Monday Accy Con Club, and grab a granny Thursdays at Blackburn Mecca. 8)  
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2003, 17:39   #17
Caz
God Member

Remember Accy disco. Round about '67 I used to go in. Got your hand stamped if you wanted to pop out.

Then went to Blackburn Mecca when it was the Golden Palms, & occasionally the Cavendish Club.

Later started going to Blackpool Mecca, as they had a free bus running from Accy then.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2003, 07:15   #18

Started going to the Con in '66, but it was a bit heavy for me. Look at one of the rockers the wrong way and you could get a thump in the face! Joined Accy disco when it opened in summer, '67. In fact, I had one of the first membership cards. Fantastic nights up there, with Big Mick spinning the sounds and everyone dancing in a circle. Used to go to Blackpool Mecca in the '70's, but I never bothered with the downstairs bit. It was straight up to the Highland Room for me - Northern Soul heaven!
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 15:35   #19

Well guys you have better memories than me. I forgot about the free bus to Blackpool but I know I used it many times.  Yeah we did dance in circles I dont know who got more dizzy us or the handbags in the middle.  ???
Old 02-10-2003, 16:24   #20
God Member

Hi Lynne,

Whatever were you doing grabbing grannies on thursday night? You were'nt mugging them were you?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:28   #21

Ok tealeaf I let myself in for that one.  :-[ I never went myself when I knew it was for grannies.  ;D
Old 03-10-2003, 12:35   #22

Any Memories of the Fair when it used to come to the Teniment they used to call it. Now i think they park busses there. Waltzers, speedway and Black peas yeah.
Opposite Asda
Old 03-10-2003, 12:50   #23
God Member

The correct name for the tenement was "Ellisons Tenement"...Who was Ellison, thats what I want to know......but who remembers the old mill that used to stand just before the railway viaduct....you could still see the stains from the waterwheel on the side (waterwheel long gone)....and who remembers the old graveyard by the side...sometimes you'd see sheep in there (probably waiting to meet their maker in the slaughterhouse across the road, i.e. now the site of the Accy bowl...
Old 03-10-2003, 15:36   #24

Tks tealeaf. Yes Ellison. Don't know him sorry (not that old). I do remember the graveyard, sheep, slaugherhouse but not the mill. There was an old theatre there too. Princess and Empire Cinema on Edgar st. Also there was a blacksmith in that area. I used to take Farmer Nelson's horse Dolly to be shoed there. I remember the mine at the bottom of Willows Lane just up from Accy Baths and opposite to Howard and Bulloughs were my dad worked all his life and was captain of the cricket team they won the league in 1949. After swimming in Accy Baths (not posh enough to call swimming pool) we would go across the road to the chippy for a penny worth of chips.  Don'f forget the Odean WE COME ALONG ON SATURDAY MORNING GREETING EVERBODY WITH A  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Old 03-10-2003, 15:41   #25

ok Tealeaf my brain is in gear now. I do remember the mill. Later they had some other companies in there. My cousin Chris Mercer used to work there. Ewbank was at the other side of the graveyard.
Old 03-10-2003, 15:45   #26
Senior Member+

The old theatre was called the hippodrome remember it well ( not that well i'm to young)
Old 03-10-2003, 17:01   #27
God Member

Yeah.......how can we forget Accy Baths!  Whoever decided to pull that lovely old building down should be shot....did you see were similar baths in Manchester won the restoration contest on the telly a few weeks ago? I think the demolition of Accy baths was a crime........in fact, I think I'll start a new subject on this.....
Old 05-10-2003, 16:32   #28

Moffets Haberdashery on Church St used to fascinate me. Watching how they put the money in a little cylinder on an overhead wire, pull the cord and it would be sent wizzing to the cashier.
Old 05-10-2003, 18:44   #29
Senior Member+

i remember that to used to love going in there with my mum.
Old 24-11-2003, 03:51   #30

I remember Marlbrough st, Ribble bus stop, from Manchester, used to catch last bus home to Clayton, after seeing my girlfriend who lived opposit the clock garage, in the 60s, Clive loyd was always on that bus I think he was pro for Hasligdan at that time, was there a cafe in Marlbrough st?.Tony Abbot worked at a record shop in abbey st and he was also a DJ at the arcadian Ballroom on sat nights. Us under  age drinkers got our beer and cider from off licence on the corner, till me and a mate got caught by the cops who were waiting outside, and took us home to our parents, for a good telling off. And of all the girls I walked home, or to the bus stop and miss my bus home, there was a lot of empty bottles of beer & cider left up those back alleys, not to mention Hanky Panky.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..