Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2005, 10:18   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accy Places

does anyone remember a place on castle st. the cavern i think it was called,saw long john baldry there in the late sixties or mid cant remember exactly drank to much in them days,it was only open a few years. also chaigley manor was a great place for kids used to make weekly donation from my wage to support it,did no good though not enough people helped when it was going-great shame.
Old 29-03-2005, 22:14   #92

Your right cashman, it was the cavern, I saw Long John Baldry on the same night, pity you cant remember, because, Kiki Dee, Rod Stewart, were on with him. It was only open for a couple of years, I still have my membership card. I think it closed in 1969, I think Accy disco opened then, I never went there, Wynonnie Harris will know more about that. Also saw Blues Incorporated, The Formost, Swinging Bluejeans, Undertakers, there.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 00:28   #93
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

another place,the vic just over canal bridge at clayton, johnny kidd@pirates were on early60s,didnt find out till day after gig,was sick as a parrot,one of the best british r@b groups ever in my opinion,never did get to see them he was killed over bolton way not to long after.
Old 30-03-2005, 07:37   #94
Super Moderator

Johnny Kidd & the Pirates played round here? Wish I'd known! Still, I probably would've been too young to get in anyway.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 09:24   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Johnny Kidd & the Pirates played round here? Wish I'd known! Still, I probably would've been too young to get in anyway.
i think it was late64 which only put me going on 17,be interested if any one on here actually went to the gig.
Old 30-03-2005, 23:14   #96

My brother Kevin, might have seen them he is four yrs older than me, I,ll ask him. I think Fred Skinner owned it at the time. Kevin said He once saw Graham Nash drinking there one night. Is the Vic still there ?.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 23:48   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thumbs up Re: Accy Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
My brother Kevin, might have seen them he is four yrs older than me, I,ll ask him. I think Fred Skinner owned it at the time. Kevin said He once saw Graham Nash drinking there one night. Is the Vic still there ?.
your spot on there the late fred skinner owned the vic at that time,he went on to own the salchow in gt harwood,@then martholme grange,the vic is long gone though.
Old 29-07-2012, 16:31   #98
Junior Member+

I am Ivor Gears. I used to live on Gloucester Avenue, No. 11. Who are you? Did you know the Moores family?
Ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 16:40   #99
Resting In Peace

Who are you talking to after seven years?? You'll have to shout a bit louder!
Old 31-07-2012, 08:18   #100
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Who are you talking to after seven years?? You'll have to shout a bit louder!
I was trying to reply to Caz about living on Lancaster Ave. What is the significance of 7 years?
Ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 08:47   #101
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
I was trying to reply to Caz about living on Lancaster Ave. What is the significance of 7 years?
Last post before yeh replied Ivor was oer 7 years ago, aint seen Caz on here fer a long long while.
Old 02-08-2012, 14:03   #102

Glad this thread was resurrected as missed it first time round remember all the places mentioned although I knew the cafe on Melbourne st as the Melba spent many many happy hours in there with my then boyfriend playing Emile Ford,s "What Do You Want TO Make Those Eyes At Me For" over milk shakes!! lol.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 14:11   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post
Glad this thread was resurrected as missed it first time round remember all the places mentioned although I knew the cafe on Melbourne st as the Melba spent many many happy hours in there with my then boyfriend playing Emile Ford,s "What Do You Want TO Make Those Eyes At Me For" over milk shakes!! lol.
Being pedantic, twas actually the Melbo, was goin in yon since around 1960.
Old 02-08-2012, 14:31   #104

[quote=cashman;1006566]Being pedantic, twas actually the Melbo, was goin in yon since around 1960.[/quot I think maybe that was year Istopped going in
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 15:01   #105
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=hassy rvr;1006570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Being pedantic, twas actually the Melbo, was goin in yon since around 1960.[/quot I think maybe that was year Istopped going in
Not to worry, we have all made mistakes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..