Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 15:06   #106
Resting In Peace

Re: Accy Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Being pedantic, twas actually the Melbo, was goin in yon since around 1960.
Sure was Cashy, used to stand opposite many times waiting for the Manchester bus but don't remember ever going in. Was a frequenter of the Blue Dahlia in my time.

See post 211 here:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ml#post1003081
Old 02-08-2012, 15:47   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Sure was Cashy, used to stand opposite many times waiting for the Manchester bus but don't remember ever going in. Was a frequenter of the Blue Dahlia in my time.

See post 211 here:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ml#post1003081
Yep spent a fair bit o time in Dahlia meself, but that would be Mid to Late 60s.
Old 02-08-2012, 15:50   #108
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yep spent a fair bit o time in Dahlia meself, but that would be Mid to Late 60s.
Well I must have been in there till 1964 which was when I left town to go to college so wouldn't have crossed paths there then, sadly.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:19   #109
Junior Member+

Re: Machpelah Graveyard on Hyndburn Road

We used to play around there when we were kids... Very scary at night.
crowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:31   #110
Junior Member+

Anyone remember Dougie Peyton the Dentist on Whalley Road? He scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. I remember his fingers used to stink of tobaco.
crowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10   #111
Mog

Quote:
Well I must have been in there till 1964 which was when I left town to go to college so wouldn't have crossed paths there then, sadly.
I used that place on a regular basis between 1962 and 1964. I remember some bloke called Tony working behind the bar/counter. spent lot of time with Bob Burnside, Jaz Moores. Silvia Slattery, sometimes with Carol Taylor and I think I first met a nice lass called Susan in there. I think her last name was Townsend or something like that. Lots of good memories from there and walking some pretty ladies back home. Even went out of my way sometimes. Lonsdale sreet and even up Willows lane. Easy walk back down to Crown Street though.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 17:43   #112
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Well i was popping in yon from early 63 (which i regard as mid 60s) so yeh never know susie.
Old 03-11-2012, 18:47   #113
Super Moderator

Used to love going in coffee bars in the 60's. First one I used to frequent in '64 was the KJ Coffeehouse at the top of Jubilee St on Blackburn Boulevard. Then, took to going in the Olympus on Union St from '65-'67. Moved on to the Dahlia in '67-'69. Also, used to hang out in the Wimpy Bar opposite the Town Hall, as it was a great place for surveying the comings and goings on the Deck.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:08   #114
Senior Member+

Can anyone tell me where Wilsons Row Accrington is/was?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:01   #115
Senior Member+

Accy Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Can anyone tell me where Wilsons Row Accrington is/was?
am half asleep, but my first thought is, on Manchester Rd nr corner with Harcourt Rd??????
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34   #116

I used to go to Dougie Paytons, yea his fingers did smell of tobaco, KD coffee house brings back memorise Wyn. Sad one as well, there was a girl I went to Blackburn Tech with who went in there, was suposed to meet her, there one day, a guy came in and told me she had been killed in a car crash the night befor, a beautiful girl as well.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 18:28   #117

Sure is a superb thread.
Spent many nights of my mispent youth at the Empire in Ossy.
"The Rockets" was it not that really got us bopping?
or is my memory playing up
68 now so real good tothink back
A14Val likes this.
lol1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 18:44   #118

Got me thinking about flat roofed houses!!
Was born in prefab up Springhill---cannot remember name of road but is at the end of Arncliffe Avenue. Road ran from Richmond road at top to Fairfield Avenue at bottom---shop at bottom called Liveseys??
I was always told I was in my pram when Arncliffe houses were being built . Think we moved from prefab to Arncliffe about 1946.
A14Val likes this.
lol1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 19:06   #119
Senior Member+

You went up the Emp. lol1944, funny, I don,t recognize you???
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 19:15   #120
God Member

I remember The Rockets skiffle group - they were the lads I grew up and 'played out' with.

When they reached the Lancashire Skiffle final, I went in the coach to Preston Jazz club - they came second.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..