Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2009, 10:33   #136
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not sure about the "Special" i was never arrested by a part-timer.
Ya they had a full time job keeping tabs on you cashy
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2009, 20:08   #137
Member
 
james's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Yes,I remember Kris Ryan and the Questions.A friend of mine called Geoff Wills played drums.Kris went into computers in their early days,sold out to some company and became a millionare.The guitarist,Alan Kendall went on to play with the Bee Gees and made a fortune.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:30   #138
Senior Member
 
Alan Gilmartin's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Was Chris Ryan his real name,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:37   #139
Senior Member
 
Alan Gilmartin's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Just looked on Manchester Beat, Real name Tony Holgate.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:14   #140
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyroma View Post
John Cunliffe singer and Lennon look and soundalike, Geoff Greenwood lead guitar, Rishton John on bass, me Malcolm Whittaker drums. Played all the area youth clubs, town hall, wmclubs all around, we were quite well known and not bad if i say it myself. all at accy grammar at the time and it was "o" levels that did for the group - that and hp on our good equipment (20 quid in 4 not much a night!) It was great fun at the time - knew the Warriors. i have a picture but sadly no tapes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
right remember vaguely now, john cunliffe n geoff greenwood went to ossy technical school, they were in my class, remember just about lol , geoff lived in the willows lane area as did john i think, aint seem either though fer many years.
Just read in todays Observer, "John Cunliffe" died suddenly on May 16th in Indonesia, was a shock to me i must be getting near top o the list. R.I.P. Cunny.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 14:49   #141
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Just read in todays Observer, "John Cunliffe" died suddenly on May 16th in Indonesia, was a shock to me i must be getting near top o the list. R.I.P. Cunny.
Thats very sad cashy
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:04   #142
Senior Member+
 
beechy's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

seem to remember mick macks brother george
was in a group with john way back.Dansaks..i think
__________________
its just

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:39   #143
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyroma View Post
John Cunliffe singer and Lennon look and soundalike, Geoff Greenwood lead guitar, Rishton John on bass, me Malcolm Whittaker drums. Played all the area youth clubs, town hall, wmclubs all around, we were quite well known and not bad if i say it myself. all at accy grammar at the time and it was "o" levels that did for the group - that and hp on our good equipment (20 quid in 4 not much a night!) It was great fun at the time - knew the Warriors. i have a picture but sadly no tapes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
seem to remember mick macks brother george
was in a group with john way back.Dansaks..i think
Micks brother aint one of them beechy, theres a great photo just bin put in gallery by ozzyroma,
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 14:07   #144
Senior Member+
 
beechy's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Micks brother aint one of them beechy, theres a great photo just bin put in gallery by ozzyroma,
george must have drummed later
unless my brain cells are failing
__________________
its just

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 15:18   #145
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
george must have drummed later
unless my brain cells are failing
quite possible, will try find out next week.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 15:20   #146
Member
 
AccyGirl's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
seem to remember a group called
Shaddy ..had a female singer..
I remember a local group in the 60's..one of the guitarist's was Nicholas Murphy, he had blonde hair and was married to my friend Joan, she sang with the group, I remember she used to sing Brenda Lee's 'Sweet nothins'.... they had two children, Andrew Murphy and Lisa Murphy, both would be in their 40's now..Joan and Nicholas divorced in the 70's.
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 15:23   #147
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyGirl View Post
I remember a local group in the 60's..one of the guitarist's was Nicholas Murphy, he had blonde hair and was married to my friend Joan, she sang with the group, I remember she used to sing Brenda Lee's 'Sweet nothins'.... they had two children, Andrew Murphy and Lisa Murphy, both would be in their 40's now..Joan and Nicholas divorced in the 70's.
would that be the group that used to sing "Zip A Dee Doo Dah"? remember them the lass singer was wed to one of the group, a guy wi glasses i think?
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 15:35   #148
Member
 
AccyGirl's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would that be the group that used to sing "Zip A Dee Doo Dah"? remember them the lass singer was wed to one of the group, a guy wi glasses i think?
Hi Cashy, I can't remember Nicholas wearing glasses, but they could well have sung the song you mention....they played in working men's clubs and pubs around Accy..early/mid 60's, they lived right next door to a working men's club in one of the roads running parallel with Avenue Parade.... could have been water street
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 16:16   #149
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Perhaps a differant group wi members wed ?? saw em one night in King St Club, was well oiled at the time, still see the lass singer shopping in accy occasionally.the glasses the guy had on were black, like "Buddy Holly" wore, thats how i remember, maybe he just wore em fer effect on stage?
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 21:59   #150
Member
 
scoot66's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

and for those under the age of 50 there was (and is) streetfighter,oxym,the itch,spy vs spy,the cybermen,the exis,scoolgirlbitch,the stanleys and i few more i`ve seen and forgotten.
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 17:40.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.38940 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1