Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 23:27   #166

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

[quote=keith;821670]Seem to remember seeing kyte the group on three occasions twice in rishton first the now closed down legion club and then on another occasion the free gardeners on parker street also someones birthday bash at the baxenden golf club quite a few years ago though[/quote Sounds about right Keith, it woulkd be in the early days at Rishton free gardeners, around '86/'87, if memory serves me right, the Bash golf club do was probably around ;90/;91. We also did a Saturday afternoon gig on tha Oxo Carnival float!!!!]
dublomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2010, 09:29   #167
Resting in Peace

Hows this got from 60s groups to 80s and 90s groups
Old 11-06-2010, 09:32   #168
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Another local 60s group was the "Cyclones" did a tour of europe somewhere, still see the bass guitarist pretty regular. M.S.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:27   #169
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

me memories vague about the Cyclones, perhaps Alan Gilmartin can add to this,as i know he knew some of em, or maybe Tony our new lad remembers or the soundcasters played wi em?
Old 12-06-2010, 00:10   #170

I do remember the name Cyclones cashy, but I think they were phasing out when we were getting started, around '64. If I can dig out all my photos and stuff, there might be some more groups we used to play with.
No-one's mentioned Gideons Ways, who I think were post Scorchers. Apart from the Dansaks and Soundcasters, they were probably the other major band of the time.
Old 12-06-2010, 00:18   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hows this got from 60s groups to 80s and 90s groups
Sorry Jaysay, the Soundcasters progressd into Kyte, just answering a querie. Unfortunately even the 80's and 90's seem a long time ago now!!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:37   #172
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublomad View Post
Sorry Jaysay, the Soundcasters progressd into Kyte, just answering a querie. Unfortunately even the 80's and 90's seem a long time ago now!!
Your okay, but why not start a new thread and blather to your hearts content
Old 12-06-2010, 14:58   #173
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublomad View Post
I do remember the name Cyclones cashy, but I think they were phasing out when we were getting started, around '64. If I can dig out all my photos and stuff, there might be some more groups we used to play with.
No-one's mentioned Gideons Ways, who I think were post Scorchers. Apart from the Dansaks and Soundcasters, they were probably the other major band of the time.
would be 66, by all accounts when they disbanded, was just after they returned from france, or so the boss tells me.
Old 13-06-2010, 08:29   #174

Ask Mick when you see him Cashy, ask him who were the guys in the group,and if he has any photos, still got to write to him yet. Dublomad your right the scorchers were one of the major groups at that time, they play at the Cavern once, Dave Robinson, trevor Gardener, Jim Payne, dave Ayrton was the manager, roadie,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 09:10   #175
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Ask Mick when you see him Cashy, ask him who were the guys in the group,and if he has any photos, still got to write to him yet. Dublomad your right the scorchers were one of the major groups at that time, they play at the Cavern once, Dave Robinson, trevor Gardener, Jim Payne, dave Ayrton was the manager, roadie,
Was Trevor Gardener the Drummer Alan?
Old 13-06-2010, 09:17   #176
Super Moderator

Quote:
Was Trevor Gardener the Drummer Alan?
Jim Payne was the drummer, Jaysay. He went on to play in a whole series of pro bands, including the legendary Accy supergroup, Accrington Stanley. Been talked about on here a few times.
Old 13-06-2010, 09:46   #177
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Jim Payne was the drummer, Jaysay. He went on to play in a whole series of pro bands, including the legendary Accy supergroup, Accrington Stanley. Been talked about on here a few times.
Thanks Wny, just remember the chap I was thinking about was called Trevor Cunliffe he's my age knocked bout with him in the sixties and he's still drumming today, used to practice in Ossy Con with a group called Tatters
Old 13-06-2010, 10:16   #178
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thanks Wny, just remember the chap I was thinking about was called Trevor Cunliffe he's my age knocked bout with him in the sixties and he's still drumming today, used to practice in Ossy Con with a group called Tatters
Jaysay...was the Trevor Cunliffe you mention a really big bloke??...If so i'm afraid he died some years back, he went to Germany to live and Play, and passed away over there....i never saw him, but my ex-wife was related to him, and said he was a brilliant drummer!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 13:32   #179
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
right Al, just bumped into Mick in town original Cyclones were= Ian Spencer- Lead guitar, Mick Stirzaker- Bass, Paul Curtis- Vocals, Stephen Farnsworth - Drums, have sent ya a P.M. wi somemore stuff.
Old 14-06-2010, 10:08   #180
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Jaysay...was the Trevor Cunliffe you mention a really big bloke??...If so i'm afraid he died some years back, he went to Germany to live and Play, and passed away over there....i never saw him, but my ex-wife was related to him, and said he was a brilliant drummer!

Best Regards - Taggy
Na he's still going strong Taggy, he used to have the car sales place opposite the side entrance of the old cop shop on Spring Gardens, in the sixties he was a dead ringer for Bobby Vee

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..