Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2010, 00:51   #226

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hello to you all, just stumbled across this website by accident, glad I did.Scorchers won a schools group competition in Penwortham,this was judged by The Cavern's owner & Bob Wooller- Beatles 1st manager, -the prize to play at The Cavern.I left The Scorchers who were then called Gideon's Way to play with Wami,Tony Anderson was the vocalist.Dave Robinson lives in Stratford, talk to him occasionally,Ian Smith lives in Bolton-by-Bowland not in contact. Derek Rimmington who was vocalist in Gideon's(holding Maraccas"s in photo)sadly Derek died quite a few years ago,Jim Payne not in contact with. I still play with a 60's type band occasionally, Pete Hibbert was the vocalist,but unfortunately he's had to retire with bad health, very sad really his voice still sounded so good,very powerfull,he's been to watch us play though. Hope I've helped to answer some of your question's. All the Best Trev Gardner.
Hi Trevor. Used to play with Gideons quite a lot with the Soundcasters in '65ish, so must know all of you, unfortunately we started out later than most of you, but carried on till 69 so I can't remember the Cyclones but I oi remember the Scorchers. Used to watch the Warriors practicing at Christ Church School when I was a kid 'cause Jon and Tony Anderson's sister used to babysit for me and our kid, that was it really, had to give it a try. Last time I saw Pete Hibbert he was with his partner Margaret in the Alma and although we got to know each other quite well in the 80's and 90's, he didn;t even know me, terrible shame he was a good singer and a top bloke. Saw Wami last year in Benidorm, nice to see that most of us are still around and still enjoying music. Have some newspaper clips of Gideons and Soundcasters from Acci Con etc., good days. Just got back together with some mates and my brother after 15 years and for the first time in 41 years going under the name of the Soundcasters. Theres only me left from the original line up, the others packed it in in 69, but we're all still around and all living local. If anyone's interested we are Baxenden Con on the 14th August. Tommy Franks is usually around, so there's always some reminiscing to do!! All the best Tony Cooper
dublomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2010, 09:23   #227
Resting in Peace

Some great picks Trev
Old 31-07-2010, 10:20   #228
Senior Member+

Top site this! I just LOVE the old photos. These new ones showing the Scorchers when they played the Cavern ARE JUST GEMS! I once had the priviledge of going to the Cavern too. One Sunday afternoon - with, funnily enough Trevor Cunliffe, but he was the drummer, the one who lived on South Street in Accrington. I went with my cuz Les Brown. When I remember the name of the group, I will post it.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 10:42   #229
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

great photos, bash cons on me calendar.
Old 31-07-2010, 10:43   #230
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Top site this! I just LOVE the old photos. These new ones showing the Scorchers when they played the Cavern ARE JUST GEMS! I once had the priviledge of going to the Cavern too. One Sunday afternoon - with, funnily enough Trevor Cunliffe, but he was the drummer, the one who lived on South Street in Accrington. I went with my cuz Les Brown. When I remember the name of the group, I will post it.
The Trevor Cunliffe I was on about Atarah is a Drummer
Old 31-07-2010, 11:51   #231

Hiya to all of you, so glad you all enjoyed seeing "old Scorchers photo's," I was suprised the old Telegraph clipping came out o.k.hope you can read the write-up too? I'd put new strings on my" old Burn's guitar"the night before we played the Cavern,big mistake! it just would not stay in tune the whole performance,that experience stuck with me, very careful as to when I restring now! Played Cavern a couple of times after with" Wami",last time we supported "Badfinger" who were still called"The Ivey's", Apple were just about to launch them,about 5or6 months later I saw them at A.B.C.Blackpool and they'd had their 1st hit,if I remember rightly The Marmalade&Joe Cocker on as-well. Trev.
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 12:16   #232

Hiya Tony, yes remember Soundcasters,when I was searching for old Scorchers photo's found advert for Majestic Ballroom[Accy Con]The fabulous Ugly Ray Terrett[Radio Caroline D.J.]The exciting"Gideons Ways" &Accrington's own" Soundcasters". Have to see if I can make it to Bash Con, Tommy's sang with us sometimes. All the Best Trev.
Old 31-07-2010, 20:18   #233

Hi Trev. I have the same clip from the Observer. Loads of others too, along with lots of photos. Think I'll get my son to put them on for me, save me losing my patience. We never got to the Cavern, but were never away from Nelson Imp in 68 and 69, also did the twisted wheel in Manchester a couple of times with the Brian Auger Trinity. I'll see if I can dig those photos and clippings out. Cheers, Tony.
Old 31-07-2010, 20:22   #234
Senior Member+

Hi dublomad...whats your group called now?...Is it mainly 50's/60's etc Rock stuff that you play now....if i've not got my lad with me that weekend i'll def try to get upto Bash Con!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:59   #235

Hi Taggy. We've just started going under the Soundcasters name again - nostalgia I think! 99% of our songs are from the sixties, witha few seventies thrown in for good measure, quite a lot were songs we did in the souncasters in the sixties. be nice to see you there, if you can make it. Off to the pub now. All the best, Tony
Old 31-07-2010, 21:01   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublomad View Post
Hi Trev. I have the same clip from the Observer. Loads of others too, along with lots of photos. Think I'll get my son to put them on for me, save me losing my patience. We never got to the Cavern, but were never away from Nelson Imp in 68 and 69, also did the twisted wheel in Manchester a couple of times with the Brian Auger Trinity. I'll see if I can dig those photos and clippings out. Cheers, Tony.
Hiya Tony, If I'm honest it was my son Dale[he's a guitarist too]that helped me to put those old photo's on this site! Trev.
Old 31-07-2010, 21:20   #237
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Hi dublomad...whats your group called now?...Is it mainly 50's/60's etc Rock stuff that you play now....if i've not got my lad with me that weekend i'll def try to get upto Bash Con!

Best Regards - Taggy
Hope to see ya up yon mate.
Old 31-07-2010, 21:21   #238
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublomad View Post
Hi Taggy. We've just started going under the Soundcasters name again - nostalgia I think! 99% of our songs are from the sixties, witha few seventies thrown in for good measure, quite a lot were songs we did in the souncasters in the sixties. be nice to see you there, if you can make it. Off to the pub now. All the best, Tony
Will Certainly try my best Tony..as i say if my lad isnt staying at mine that weekend i'll certainly be up! I'm a Pal of Wammys too...in fact i'm off to Benidorm again in Sept and will see him then!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 31-07-2010, 21:23   #239
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hope to see ya up yon mate.
Aye fingers crossed Cashy..i'm pretty sure i should be ok for that..its a definate if my lads not at mine! Be good to see you there too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 01-08-2010, 01:11   #240

Here you are jaysay, Just got an email from my brother, He's alive & well,still playing drums,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..