Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2010, 09:03   #376
Resting in Peace

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublomad View Post
Hi Jaysay. I knew Steve very well. His mum and dad were Brenda and Alf (Alf also suffered from chest complaints), They used to have a toffee 'n train shop across from King Georges Hall around where Waves is now. Steve used to work in the shop, good bloke, do anything for you. In the 80's he took a shop up 4 lane ends in Blackburn and I rewired the place for him. As for his keyboard skills, he was excellent, nearly persuaded him to play in Kite with us but his health wasn't really up to it. I was quite close to all the family, but haven't seen Claire and the kids since the funeral, very sad. He used to come and watch us when he was up to it, last time was about '94, when I was in a duo, but after that he went down hill fast. I used to go round to see him before he died, tried to persuade him that he should be doing more music, but he hadn't really got the energy. Rock on Steve!! Tony
Hi Tony,

Glad some one knew Steve, we became great friends in the late 80s early 90s as we spent quite a lot of time together on ward E3 at Queen's Park, I think Claire went back to Liverpool with the kids, I went to his home once, which was just off the arterial road. I was very sad when he died, because he was such a great guy who never moaned about his poor health, just got on with his life the best way he could. The last time I saw him was actually in the chest clinic at the infirmary. Unfortunately I was unable to attend his funeral as I had only been discharged from hospital the day before, but I know lots of the staff from E3 went, he was such a popular bloke and certainly died well before his time

Last edited by jaysay; 20-08-2010 at 09:05.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2010, 10:17   #377
Resting in Peace

Was thinking last night about a guy I worked with in the early 70s at Premier Construction Whiteberk, he played with a band called Angie, can't remember the guys name but they were quite popular on the circuit back then, could have even been a 3 piece rhythm/lead drums and Bass or the standard 4 set up, any one come across them
Old 21-08-2010, 11:06   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ask him if he's got any pics of the group Trev, as I remember Eric had really long hair, you might also ask him about a prodigy of his, was called Mick (can't remember his surname even though he jammed with us a bit) he had long read hair, and had and American fender strat, which he bought from Eric, on the case was the name of one of Eric's former groups "Weather" he was only very young when I knew him 17 or 18 but he was a very good guitarist even then, the last time I saw him h was with a big showband at Martholme Grange must have been 12 strong
Hiya J, spoke to E.T, yesterday sorry no photo's,he remembers red head Mick tell's me he switched to bass but then started to get a skin-reaction from touching metal strings so had to pack it in. Trev.
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 13:30   #379
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya J, spoke to E.T, yesterday sorry no photo's,he remembers red head Mick tell's me he switched to bass but then started to get a skin-reaction from touching metal strings so had to pack it in. Trev.
That was a shame about mick he was very good and lived for music
Old 28-08-2010, 12:13   #380

Hello Trev, Well, I found the only photo I have of Frany Daly (and that's a miracle), and it's not a good one.It was taken when some of us in Francis T went to Whalley Abbey, left to right, Frany, me, Tom Robinson, Lynne Whittaker and Kathleen, who married Stewart Howlett when I was with Francis T.Most of the band went to the wedding at St James's.The missing members are Bob Taylor (guitar), and a guy called Arthur who played keyboards and ran a Wimpey Bar which was across the road from Accy Town Hall, All the best,Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Francis T.jpg (152.8 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by james; 28-08-2010 at 12:23. Reason: misspelling
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 14:13   #381
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hello Trev, Well, I found the only photo I have of Frany Daly (and that's a miracle), and it's not a good one.It was taken when some of us in Francis T went to Whalley Abbey, left to right, Frany, me, Tom Robinson, Lynne Whittaker and Kathleen, who married Stewart Howlett when I was with Francis T.Most of the band went to the wedding at St James's.The missing members are Bob Taylor (guitar), and a guy called Arthur who played keyboards and ran a Wimpey Bar which was across the road from Accy Town Hall, All the best,Jim.
Hi James, did the Bob Taylor you metioned, come from Ossy
Old 28-08-2010, 14:23   #382

Quote:
Hiya Jim, Fran's called at our house I've shown him your latest photo with him on,he can't remember it being taken! where was Bob? Trev.
Old 28-08-2010, 14:42   #383

Hello Jaysay, To be honest I don't know, there's a picture of him in the other Francis T photo that I put on.He had a girlfriend called Susan (big help) and he was really into cars, I think he had a Mini Cooper which was something back then,Cheers, Jim.
Old 28-08-2010, 14:47   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya Jim, Fran's called at our house I've shown him your latest photo with him on,he can't remember it being taken! where was Bob? Trev.
Hi Trev,I've no idea, maybe he took the photo ? Cheers, Jim
Old 28-08-2010, 14:47   #385
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hello Jaysay, To be honest I don't know, there's a picture of him in the other Francis T photo that I put on.He had a girlfriend called Susan (big help) and he was really into cars, I think he had a Mini Cooper which was something back then,Cheers, Jim.
Hi Jim, ya think its the same one who I'm thinking about, seem to remember the mini cooper, I was into rallying back in those days and things like that usually stick, John
Old 28-08-2010, 14:59   #386
Senior Member+

Hi James, re Whalley Abbey photo. Nice one! Lovely to see the piccy of Lynn. Have just emailed her daughter to tell her about the photo.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 15:14   #387

Hi Trevor, I've just found another photo of Frany.Same people, same place.Left to right, me, Frany, Tom Robinson and Lynne Whittaker who was my girlfriend.Do you know where our guitarist, Bob Taylor came from? Was he from Ossy? All the best, Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whalley Abbey.jpg (55.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 28-08-2010, 15:28   #388
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hi Trevor, I've just found another photo of Frany.Same people, same place.Left to right, me, Frany, Tom Robinson and Lynne Whittaker who was my girlfriend.Do you know where our guitarist, Bob Taylor came from? Was he from Ossy? All the best, Jim.
The guy on the right must be Tom Robinson Jim
Old 28-08-2010, 20:14   #389

Talking Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Hiya Jim&Jay, yeh you're right Bob was from Ossy I think he lived off White Ash is that the road turn right before Golden Cross?he emigrated to New Zealand or Australia years ago I think. Jim were you thinking of joining the order or just visiting local abbey's? Trev.
Old 28-08-2010, 20:16   #390

Talking Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Hiya Jim&Jay, yeh you're right Bob was from Ossy I think he lived off White Ash is that the road turn left before Golden Cross?he emigrated to New Zealand or Australia years ago I think. Jim were you thinking of joining the order or just visiting local abbey's? Trev.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..