Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 11:44   #421
Junior Member+

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Trevor

I found the site one day by typing "Scorchers" in to google and it led me to the Accy web. Yesterday I was listening to a program on Radio Lancs re Nelson Imperial that a friend down in Clitheroe told me about. That led me to look again at the Accy site and what did I find, you and Jim having a long conversation about our youth, amazing coincidence. What guitar do you use these days? Wonderful thing the chat forum, great we are all still in good form.

Cheers Ian
Ian F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2010, 11:51   #422

Hiya Jim\Ian, Wow! love to hear that kit Jim,sounds like it's a"right driving"kit to me. Ian good to hear from you, nearly fell off my chair when I saw you on here,glad you liked the old photo's, I wonder if there's any of us inside the Cavern? Trev.
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:04   #423

Still got the 335,aSquier Strat, aPeavy Strat-type,12string Yamaha Pacifica &Taylor Big Baby acoustic,unfortunately the AC 30 is somewhere in Germany so using aPeavey stereo combo also a Hiwatt with a 4x12 cab still got the Copicat but needs some T.L.C.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:13   #424
Junior Member+

Trev
That is a fine sounding collection, a pity about the Vox, yours was a "Top Boost" version if I remember rightly and they are pretty rare. Is Dave still in the resturant business down in Stratford ? Speak soon.

Cheers Ian
Ian F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:56   #425

Hi Trevor, Thanks for this photo, I did laugh.If you look closely at my eyes, I appear to have gone blind, was it the sight of all those girls in swimsuits?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim and Derek Blackburn Mecca 1965.jpg (132.4 KB, 83 views)
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 13:26   #426

Hiya Jim, I don't even remember the girl's Jim ,but you always had an eye [or two] on all the girl's!!! [or you might have them closed 'cause I'd played another bum note or two!!!!!] Trev.
Old 05-09-2010, 15:57   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya Blackburnlad, I knew the bass player in Thunderbird, Mervin Goldsworthy he also played in another local band-Streetfighter,they played all Thin Lizzy songs one of their guitarists was John Sykes who joined the last line up of Thin Lizzy. Merv joined a recording band called F.M.very good they were too,saw them at the Apollo Manchester. Trev.
Hi Trev

I do remember seeing Streetfighter. The name John Sykes rings a bell too. That other band I mentioned 'Forever' did a lot of Doobie Brothers stuff and old Stax / Atlantic covers. The lead vocalist Sean was a window cleaner by day (I think).

Shabby Tiger were another band that sometimes played the Regent on a Monday night. Everyone always made a big deal about them when they were on. I think it was because they'd had a couple of minor hits. I always preferred Forever and Thunderbird Sabden myself (no offence to the Shabby guys if you ever read this;-)
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 16:03   #428
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post
Hi Trev

I do remember seeing Streetfighter. The name John Sykes rings a bell too. That other band I mentioned 'Forever' did a lot of Doobie Brothers stuff and old Stax / Atlantic covers. The lead vocalist Sean was a window cleaner by day (I think).

Shabby Tiger were another band that sometimes played the Regent on a Monday night. Everyone always made a big deal about them when they were on. I think it was because they'd had a couple of minor hits. I always preferred Forever and Thunderbird Sabden myself (no offence to the Shabby guys if you ever read this;-)
Used to follow Shabby Tiger about in those days, together with Rainbow Cottage, and Copper Kettle, the last two were under management with a Wigan Company
Old 05-09-2010, 16:15   #429

Hiya Blackburnlad, Yeh John Sykes has lived in the States long time now, I remember Tommy Vance interviewing him when he had a Saturday afternoon rock programme on Radio 1,so thats a long time ago. I know Sean,I used to give him a lift home from the Regent ,had a jam with him a couple of months ago,very talented lad! Lost touch with Merv, last time I spoke to him he was in a tribute band playing Australian pub's in London. Trev.
Old 05-09-2010, 16:25   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
The Scorchers.Ray Parsons, Dave Robinson, Ian Smith, me, Trevor Gardener.I think I was still at school!
I like this photo of The Scorchers (Aug 11th posting). Does anyone know what the little amp on the left is? The one in the bottom right corner, which is only just visible, is a Watkins V Front Dominator.
Old 05-09-2010, 16:30   #431

Hiya J, I think I only saw" Tiger "once in the Regent, Hendy was the singer and the lead guitarist in that line-up was Dave Almond,he came from Burnley and had previously been in a band called the Reflection's who the Gideon's had played together with in the 60's,I mean together at the same time=2drummer's. 2lead guitarist's etc. sounded a bit jumbled if you know what I mean, don't remember who came up with that idea!!!!! Trev
Old 05-09-2010, 16:41   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post
I like this photo of The Scorchers (Aug 11th posting). Does anyone know what the little amp on the left is? The one in the bottom right corner, which is only just visible, is a Watkins V Front Dominator.
Well spotted, the Dominator was my 1st. amp,before this had to use old valve radio's, the little Bird Amp was Ian's, & the one far left Dave's Fenton Weill bass amp. Trev
Old 05-09-2010, 16:54   #433

Quote:
Well spotted, the Dominator was my 1st. amp,before this had to use old valve radio's, the little Bird Amp was Ian's, & the one far left Dave's Fenton Weill bass amp. Trev
A Bird - Cheers for that. I thought that's what it said, but couldn't make it out properly.

On the photo of you lads (God you were lads too - really young) in Liverpool, there's one of you carrying the V front Dom. I only saw it after I had left the previous comment. I have an old V front Dom myself, picked it up a couple of years ago, works fine, but sadly has been re-covered at some time. Did a cracking job though, whoever re-covered it.
Old 05-09-2010, 17:04   #434

Quote:
Hiya J, I think I only saw" Tiger "once in the Regent, Hendy was the singer and the lead guitarist in that line-up was Dave Almond,he came from Burnley and had previously been in a band called the Reflection's who the Gideon's had played together with in the 60's,I mean together at the same time=2drummer's. 2lead guitarist's etc. sounded a bit jumbled if you know what I mean, don't remember who came up with that idea!!!!! Trev
I saw Shabby Tiger about 3 times at The Regent (mid 70's or thereabouts) and saw them once at The Sett End, around the same time. Hendy Gibson lived around the corner from my mum for a lot of years, on Revidge Road.
Zanzibar were another band that had a residency at The Regent for a while as well.

I'd better shut up about the Regent, this is an Accy site after all. I saw a few bands at The Albion in Clayton (he said, tactfully diverting the conversation) in the early - mid 70's too, but can't really recall any names.
Old 05-09-2010, 17:04   #435

Quote:
Hi Trevor,I remember Dave Almond, he played with me in Kudos.The bright spark who came up with the idea of having two drummers, two bass guitarists etc was called Mr Hirst.He managed both The Reflections and Kudos.Maybe the photo will bring back a few memories.Cheers, Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Reflections.jpg (330.5 KB, 71 views)
james is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..