Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 17:19   #436

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Hiya Jim, so Mr. Hirst was the culprit eh!! I've got this photo too! The drummer was Wally Day I think,he played in a local band The Pleasers .Dave Almond last I heard was doing the same as Wami[solo with backing tracks] Trev.
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2010, 17:31   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hi Trevor,I remember Dave Almond, he played with me in Kudos.The bright spark who came up with the idea of having two drummers, two bass guitarists etc was called Mr Hirst.He managed both The Reflections and Kudos.Maybe the photo will bring back a few memories.Cheers, Jim.
I forgot to put some names to The Reflections photo: left to right-unknown, Walter? (the drummer), Margaret? Mr Hirst's son David? and Dave Almond.Jim.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 19:10   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya Jim, so Mr. Hirst was the culprit eh!! I've got this photo too! The drummer was Wally Day I think,he played in a local band The Pleasers .Dave Almond last I heard was doing the same as Wami[solo with backing tracks] Trev.

I have a single or two by The Pleasers. A bit Beatlesque weren't they? Can't remember the titles, but I think one has 3 tracks on it. I'll have to dig them out sometime.
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 19:15   #439

You've probably all seen this already, so my apologies if I'm just going over old ground (I'm new on here).

lankybeat.com
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 19:56   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post
You've probably all seen this already, so my apologies if I'm just going over old ground (I'm new on here).

lankybeat.com
Just had a quick look, never heard of it before. Trev.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:17   #441
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post
I saw Shabby Tiger about 3 times at The Regent (mid 70's or thereabouts) and saw them once at The Sett End, around the same time. Hendy Gibson lived around the corner from my mum for a lot of years, on Revidge Road.
Zanzibar were another band that had a residency at The Regent for a while as well.

I'd better shut up about the Regent, this is an Act site after all. I saw a few bands at The Albion in Clayton (he said, tactfully diverting the conversation) in the early - mid 70's too, but can't really recall any names.
Hendy (Henderson) Gibson was a hell of a performer, I first saw him when he fronted a band called Dinglegrumph, they were resident on Friday nights at The Spinning Jenny in the early 70s, did a great rendition of Sweet Child in Time, complete with finger stuck firmly in his right ear

Last edited by jaysay; 06-09-2010 at 09:20.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:47   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian F Smith View Post
Hi Jim
Looks like we were typing at the same time. I remember running in to you briefly on the Kings Road in Chelsea during a visit to London around 71/72. I still have pictures and cuttings myself, even the "Scorchers" drum logo I had made at work for your base drum.

Cheers Ian
Hello Ian, Yes, I remember seeing you.Some of the band (Accy Stan) were living in Elm Park Road, just off Kings Road.We had the top two floors, and a band called "Rare Bird" lived and rehearsed in the basement flat.The entire house was full of musicians! Cheers, Jim.
Old 13-09-2010, 12:56   #443

Hello Trevor,A mystery band, at least to me.The date on the back of the photo is 28/1/67 but there isn't any band name.The first names of the guys are on the back,
From left to right: Eric, Keith, Melvyn, Andy and Colin.I recognise Andy Russell and Colin Edmondson from the Atlantics, but I played with them in 1969 not 1967.I also have a vague memory of the big guy with the blonde hair, Keith.Do you recognise anybody else? Cheers, Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unkown local band.jpg (254.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 13-09-2010, 16:51   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hello Trevor,A mystery band, at least to me.The date on the back of the photo is 28/1/67 but there isn't any band name.The first names of the guys are on the back,
From left to right: Eric, Keith, Melvyn, Andy and Colin.I recognise Andy Russell and Colin Edmondson from the Atlantics, but I played with them in 1969 not 1967.I also have a vague memory of the big guy with the blonde hair, Keith.Do you recognise anybody else? Cheers, Jim.
Hiya Jim, No I don't recognise any of the lads except Andy. Trev.
Old 13-09-2010, 20:51   #445
JCB

The sound of distant drums up Fern Gore .

I've still got ear-ache , Jim .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 17:57   #446
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hendy (Henderson) Gibson was a hell of a performer, I first saw him when he fronted a band called Dinglegrumph, they were resident on Friday nights at The Spinning Jenny in the early 70s, did a great rendition of Sweet Child in Time, complete with finger stuck firmly in his right ear
Jaysay, Hendy (Henderson F Gibson) has been living and performing in Benidorm now for many years, certainly over 10. His wife Fiona comes from Darwen, and is often back over this way to see her pals. He works under the stagename Cheroot and is also now part of a duo doing an Eagles tribute!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 18:09   #447
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Jaysay, Hendy (Henderson F Gibson) has been living and performing in Benidorm now for many years, certainly over 10. His wife Fiona comes from Darwen, and is often back over this way to see her pals. He works under the stagename Cheroot and is also now part of a duo doing an Eagles tribute!

Best Regards - Taggy
Thanks for that Taggy, I know I haven't seen him for years, in those days he had a girlfriend called Karen who lived near the Jenny, she latter took job as a go-go dancer at the Cav when I worked there. What kind of stuff does he do when solo?
Old 17-09-2010, 19:21   #448
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thanks for that Taggy, I know I haven't seen him for years, in those days he had a girlfriend called Karen who lived near the Jenny, she latter took job as a go-go dancer at the Cav when I worked there. What kind of stuff does he do when solo?
Fiona's a good bit younger than him, she's around 40. He actually does comedy in his show now, and mainly middle of the road and a bit of soft rock stuff. Not heard him sing any Shabby stuff lately. He and Fiona are both on Facebook actually. He doesn't go on facebook too often, but its usually late when he's had a bevvy or 3 when he does Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy

Ps If you look on this link you'll come up with the name Cheroot and there's a photo of him on there! Hendy is the one on the right! He's actually been in Beni 17 years!!!
http://www.benidorm-spotlight.com/ni...s/pages/33.htm

Last edited by Taggy; 17-09-2010 at 19:27.
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 09:17   #449
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Fiona's a good bit younger than him, she's around 40. He actually does comedy in his show now, and mainly middle of the road and a bit of soft rock stuff. Not heard him sing any Shabby stuff lately. He and Fiona are both on Facebook actually. He doesn't go on facebook too often, but its usually late when he's had a bevvy or 3 when he does Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy

Ps If you look on this link you'll come up with the name Cheroot and there's a photo of him on there! Hendy is the one on the right! He's actually been in Beni 17 years!!!
The Benidorm Entertainers Guide - Cheroot
Thanks for that Taggy, think I would have known which one he was on the photo, he hasn't changed facially that much really
Old 29-09-2010, 19:53   #450

Hiya to you all, just to let you know Backtrack, the band I play in are playing on Saturday 2nd Oct at the Globe Bowling club Accy, you don't have to be a member to get in, this is the 2nd time that we've played this year! so it's quite a rare appearance!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..