Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2010, 09:30   #526
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by albaby View Post
the nosmo kings line up lead guitar dave tomlinson bass guitar gordon holmes.drums alan bradshaw, james turner lead vocals. alan also played with the mustangs and francis t construction the cyclones yours albaby .
Used to see Gordon Holmes regularly, sadly James Turner died a few years ago saw him sing with a revival group at the Stop and Rest, Ossy, in the late 90s, he still had it then
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2010, 21:37   #527
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by albaby View Post
the nosmo kings line up lead guitar dave tomlinson bass guitar gordon holmes.drums alan bradshaw, james turner lead vocals. alan also played with the mustangs and francis t construction the cyclones yours albaby .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
still see mick stirzaker from cyclones frequently, also got a cd of em,
in fact seen mick wi you today in Grants, along wi dublomad, n many others, twas nice to meet ya al, though didn't recognise ya from 60s, this age things a bitch.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 03:57   #528
Senior Member
 
Alan Gilmartin's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Whats grants Cashy,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:25   #529
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Whats grants Cashy,
Used to be Hargreaves Arms Al.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 17:15   #530
Junior Member
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya Jaysay, a band I remember called "Gold"was Steve Owen[drums&vocals] Ian Mitchell[bass&vocals]&Rod Hill[guitar],this was the band Rod played in after leaving" Midnight Hour"-which I was his replacement in.I also played with Ian[he lives in France now]for a while in a band called "Reminder". All the best Trev.
The band was in fact called JUDE BROWN 1971 till 1981, you were right with Joe Murphy(lead & vocals) who now performs solo as Joel David, Steve Owen played drums for Jude Brown for just a short while while, but the drummer was Geof Hammond from Great Harwood, Ian Mitchell was Bassman. Joe Murphy, Steve Owen, Skip Holroyd, and Brendan Cook were the Midnight Hour 1965 till 1970. Jack,O
jack oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 17:42   #531
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack oakley View Post
The band was in fact called JUDE BROWN 1971 till 1981, you were right with Joe Murphy(lead & vocals) who now performs solo as Joel David, Steve Owen played drums for Jude Brown for just a short while while, but the drummer was Geoff Hammond from Great Harwood, Ian Mitchell was Bassman. Joe Murphy, Steve Owen, Skip Holroyd, and Brendan Cook were the Midnight Hour 1965 till 1970. Jack,O
Lot of info sorted out there Jack, watched Jude Brown quite a lot in the seventies, If I remember they had a marvelous Sure, PA system with 6 foot towers, actually think it got nicked out of their van, Knew Ian Mitchell quite well he came from Ossy, his brother as the Carpet shop at the top of Stonebridge Lane Ossy, think Ian lives abroad now
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:46   #532
Junior Member
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

You are right about the Sure P.A. system, it was inovative in the early 70's (and expensive) £2500-00 then... and yes they did get it nicked along with Joe Murphy's 1967 hand signed gold plated Les Paul custom sunburst guitar (worth about $200,000-00 according to ebay.com) . Skip Holroyd has his own music shop in Darwen called CUE MUSIC and Joe Murphy (JOEL DAVID) is still performing take a look at;
joeldavid on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads .Jack.O
jack oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 19:20   #533
Senior Member+
 
Taggy's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Was wondering if anyone remembers a drummer who went by the name of "Pop" Floyd? I've just come back from Benidorm and was chatting to Hendy (Henderson F Gibson) & his wife Fiona. We got talking about days gone by in Accy & Blackburn and he mentioned that Pop Floyd was a good drummer & a pal of his, but he unfortunately passed away some time ago!

Hendy's still doing well out in Beni & was on good form! He does his own show under the name Cheroot as well as an Eagles Tribute with his Pal Dave...very good too, well worth seeing if yer out there!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27   #534
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack oakley View Post
You are right about the Sure P.A. system, it was inovative in the early 70's (and expensive) 2500-00 then... and yes they did get it nicked along with Joe Murphy's 1967 hand signed gold plated Les Paul custom sunburst guitar (worth about $200,000-00 according to ebay.com) . Skip Holroyd has his own music shop in Darwen called CUE MUSIC and Joe Murphy (JOEL DAVID) is still performing take a look at;
joeldavid on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads .Jack.O
Ya jack keep seeing his name popping up occasionally, think he still does some TV work as a bit part actor and extra too
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34   #535
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Was wondering if anyone remembers a drummer who went by the name of "Pop" Floyd? I've just come back from Benidorm and was chatting to Hendy (Henderson F Gibson) & his wife Fiona. We got talking about days gone by in Accy & Blackburn and he mentioned that Pop Floyd was a good drummer & a pal of his, but he unfortunately passed away some time ago!

Hendy's still doing well out in Beni & was on good form! He does his own show under the name Cheroot as well as an Eagles Tribute with his Pal Dave...very good too, well worth seeing if yer out there!

Best Regards - Taggy
Pop was a mate of mine Taggy, red curly hair n from huncoat village, had some great laughs wi him in 60s, lived oer blackpool way fer a few years met up wi him when i lived oer yon. sorry taggy i posted this in other thread,
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 14:09   #536
Senior Member+
 
Taggy's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Pop was a mate of mine Taggy, red curly hair n from huncoat village, had some great laughs wi him in 60s, lived oer blackpool way fer a few years met up wi him when i lived oer yon. sorry taggy i posted this in other thread,
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D.
Cheers Cashy, Hendy thought people would remember him, sounds like they had some good times! Prob just a few years early for me, which is why i cant recall him! I said i'd send Hendy this link if a few folk had any stories to tell. He recalls playing The Loadstar when Margo Grimshaw had it, & The Fleece in Blackburn too. As well as Spinning Jenny when he lived in Accy, and popping in The George and the "Grotty" little Indian on Blackburn Road, which i think is the Azad! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 14:39   #537
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Cheers Cashy, Hendy thought people would remember him, sounds like they had some good times! Prob just a few years early for me, which is why i cant recall him! I said i'd send Hendy this link if a few folk had any stories to tell. He recalls playing The Loadstar when Margo Grimshaw had it, & The Fleece in Blackburn too. As well as Spinning Jenny when he lived in Accy, and popping in The George and the "Grotty" little Indian on Blackburn Road, which i think is the Azad! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
i have a story from his pre-drumming days, not wise to put on here, ask when ya see me or i'll forget.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 15:26   #538
Senior Member+
 
Taggy's Avatar
 

Wink Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i have a story from his pre-drumming days, not wise to put on here, ask when ya see me or i'll forget.
Lol!!!...Will do Cashy...somehow i thought you'd have one!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 18:00   #539
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Cheers Cashy, Hendy thought people would remember him, sounds like they had some good times! Prob just a few years early for me, which is why i cant recall him! I said i'd send Hendy this link if a few folk had any stories to tell. He recalls playing The Loadstar when Margo Grimshaw had it, & The Fleece in Blackburn too. As well as Spinning Jenny when he lived in Accy, and popping in The George and the "Grotty" little Indian on Blackburn Road, which i think is the Azad! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Hendy was resident for a short while at he Jenny with Dinglegrumph, did a lot of heavey rock, a great rendition of Sweet Child in Time
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 18:35   #540
Senior Member+
 
Taggy's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hendy was resident for a short while at he Jenny with Dinglegrumph, did a lot of heavey rock, a great rendition of Sweet Child in Time
He's still got a damed good voice John...& a nifty sense of humour too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:01.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.34830 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1