Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2013, 11:03   #661
Member
 
lol1944's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quite often look through this thread.
Nobody has mentioned "the rockets"!!
Is it my memory playing tricks on me?
Seem to remember them as a superb group that played at the Empire in Ossy when I was about 16 so say around 1960
lol1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2013, 14:06   #662
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol1944 View Post
Quite often look through this thread.
Nobody has mentioned "the rockets"!!
Is it my memory playing tricks on me?
Seem to remember them as a superb group that played at the Empire in Ossy when I was about 16 so say around 1960
Can't recall em lol, no mention on either "Lankybeat" or "Manchester Beat" so seem sunk without trace.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 14:56   #663
God Member
 
MargaretR's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol1944 View Post
Quite often look through this thread.
Nobody has mentioned "the rockets"!!
Is it my memory playing tricks on me?
Seem to remember them as a superb group that played at the Empire in Ossy when I was about 16 so say around 1960
See post #120
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ml#post1035468 (Accy Places)

It was earlier than 1960 - more like 1955/6
cashman and jaysay like this.
__________________



MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 16:17   #664
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Ahh no wonder i can't remember em.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:09   #665
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol1944 View Post
Quite often look through this thread.
Nobody has mentioned "the rockets"!!
Is it my memory playing tricks on me?
Seem to remember them as a superb group that played at the Empire in Ossy when I was about 16 so say around 1960
The Rockets Skiffle Group with Gordon Holms, and Jack Groves, Gordon was on the Tea Chest Bass as I remember
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:11   #666
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
See post #120
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ml#post1035468 (Accy Places)

It was earlier than 1960 - more like 1955/6
I hadn't read your post when I posted mine Margaret, of course both Gordon and Jack lived on Hornby Street if I remember rightly
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:16   #667
God Member
 
MargaretR's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Gordon Holmes didn't live on Hornby St but 2 other members did - Jack Groves and Frank Isherwood. Melvyn Mann lived nearby on Fielding Lane.

Frank played the tea chest, Jack sang, Gordon played guitar and Melvyn played a washboard.
Skiffle was primitive but fun.
__________________



MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:32   #668
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Gordon Holmes didn't live on Hornby St but 2 other members did - Jack Groves and Frank Isherwood. Melvyn Mann lived nearby on Fielding Lane.

Frank played the tea chest, Jack sang, Gordon played guitar and Melvyn played a washboard.
Skiffle was primitive but fun.
Forgot about Frank Isherwood but can't remember Melvyn Mann, Where did Holmesy live then, always thought he lived on Hornby Street, I know he did when he got married, he lived near to the Fielding Lane end back to Park Lane
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 18:06   #669
God Member
 
MargaretR's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Forgot about Frank Isherwood but can't remember Melvyn Mann, Where did Holmesy live then, always thought he lived on Hornby Street, I know he did when he got married, he lived near to the Fielding Lane end back to Park Lane
I am not sure where he lived. He was still with his mum - I think it was somewhere between the war memorial and the town hall area.
__________________



MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 08:05   #670
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I am not sure where he lived. He was still with his mum - I think it was somewhere between the war memorial and the town hall area.
Its just come to me Margaret, he lived in the wine shop next door to Gorrels grossers, can't think of the name began with a B? I think
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 09:03   #671
Member
 
james's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
was dickie rimmington with the scorchers/
Yes he was the singer with the band. There's a photo of him on here somewhere.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 16:21   #672
Junior Member
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

That would be Geoff Hammond with two f's.
geoffhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 16:25   #673
Junior Member
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack oakley View Post
The band was in fact called JUDE BROWN 1971 till 1981, you were right with Joe Murphy(lead & vocals) who now performs solo as Joel David, Steve Owen played drums for Jude Brown for just a short while while, but the drummer was Geof Hammond from Great Harwood, Ian Mitchell was Bassman. Joe Murphy, Steve Owen, Skip Holroyd, and Brendan Cook were the Midnight Hour 1965 till 1970. Jack,O
Geoff with two f's!
geoffhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 20:55   #674
Senior Member
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Sorry if this has been posted before but well worth a look

The Four Pennies on Manchesterbeat - the group and music scene of Manchester in the 60s
Stevie R likes this.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13   #675
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its just come to me Margaret, he lived in the wine shop next door to Gorrels grossers, can't think of the name began with a B? I think
Seeing this thread again reminded me of the name of the wine shop it was the Bureau wine shop
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.36544 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1