Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2009, 10:50   #106
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We've actualy dicussed this before cashy, they did start as a ten bopper group before Jon and Tony became involved, but there were two brother Tony and Ian Alveston, Tony was my mate and I travelled round with them when we were still at school, but can't ever remember them playing Accy Con, Tony is a member on here but haven't seen him post.
yeh i remember, don't think stumped was a member then? cos i'm blowed if i could find the thread.
Old 16-02-2009, 11:02   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
We've actualy dicussed this before cashy, they did start as a ten bopper group before Jon and Tony became involved, but there were two brother Tony and Ian Alveston, Tony was my mate and I travelled round with them when we were still at school, but can't ever remember them playing Accy Con, Tony is a member on here but haven't seen him post.
Ian's still around too, but hav'nt seen him for several months.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 14:33   #108
Senior Member+

i think between us, we saw a lot of bands
up accy con but i cant recall the Warriors ever gigging there

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 16:26   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Ian's still around too, but hav'nt seen him for several months.

Best Regards - Taggy
The last time I heard Ian was living up Green Haworth, but I haven't seen him for years, Ian is probable one of the best local guitarists I've ever seen, he used to use lots of Jazz cords brilliant
Old 16-02-2009, 16:29   #110
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i think between us, we saw a lot of bands
up accy con but i cant recall the Warriors ever gigging there
I saw lots of Bands up the Con Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Hermans Hermits, Four Pennies, or the Lionel Morton Four as they were known then, but the Warriors na
Old 16-02-2009, 16:40   #111
Senior Member+

Quote:
The last time I heard Ian was living up Green Haworth, but I haven't seen him for years, Ian is probable one of the best local guitarists I've ever seen, he used to use lots of Jazz cords brilliant
Think he may still pop up the Stanley Street Pub occasionally on the Monday Jam nights, but i've not been up there for a while now, good guitarist, as you say! I was driving back from Ossy one night last year, and i switched on the radio and there was a programme on which i think was for local musicians, the presenter said they were going to play a track from Ian's latest CD, so he must have recorded something around that time, but i did'nt get to hear it. Have a feeling it was for a Charity, but not certain.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 17-02-2009, 10:12   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Think he may still pop up the Stanley Street Pub occasionally on the Monday Jam nights, but i've not been up there for a while now, good guitarist, as you say! I was driving back from Ossy one night last year, and i switched on the radio and there was a programme on which i think was for local musicians, the presenter said they were going to play a track from Ian's latest CD, so he must have recorded something around that time, but i did'nt get to hear it. Have a feeling it was for a Charity, but not certain.

Best Regards - Taggy
Think he's done one or two over the years Taggy seem to remember my mate Pete Crook who playes with Accy Rockers telling me about some CDs Ian had made
Old 17-02-2009, 10:17   #113
Resting in Peace

Taggy, have just Googled Ian Alveston, 848 hits, the first one is a U-tube link, looks like the lad has a real following worth a shufty
Old 17-02-2009, 11:16   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
Taggy, have just Googled Ian Alveston, 848 hits, the first one is a U-tube link, looks like the lad has a real following worth a shufty
Hey, bringing back the memories that, just had a look at couple of those links...could'nt get on his website though! He also used to pop up St Mary's Club on Folk Nights, but i dont think they have them there anymore!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 17-02-2009, 21:59   #115
Full Member+

I saw the Warriers at the Con during a private function. They were very young at the time and, although good, fluffed some of the guitar sequences. When I saw them some months later at Great Harwood's Mercer Hall they were terrific.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 22:22   #116
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I saw the Warriers at the Con during a private function. They were very young at the time and, although good, fluffed some of the guitar sequences. When I saw them some months later at Great Harwood's Mercer Hall they were terrific.
ah thats why no-one remembers stumped, would that be before or after the "Anderson" brothers joined em?
Old 18-02-2009, 10:02   #117
Resting in Peace

When Tony and Ian left the Warriors, they formed another group called Tony and the Tea Leafs, so um perform at Spring Hill on a Saturday night, but they didn't carry on long after that
Old 22-02-2009, 17:41   #118
Full Member+

The honest answer to that would be "Dunno!" The occasion at the Con would have been around 1965/6 though if that's any help?
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 10:25   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
The honest answer to that would be "Dunno!" The occasion at the Con would have been around 1965/6 though if that's any help?
Tony and Ian Alveston left the warriors in 1962, when Jon and Tony Anderson took over, Jon left the group in 1967 to follow a solo career before joining Yes, Not sure but think Jon made to records under the name of Hans Christian Anderson but can't remember much about them
Old 26-02-2009, 14:58   #120

No I dont think Nosmo Kings where pre Jay Turner Four. The only connection as I can remember may have been Noel Smith (drummer with the Jay Turner Four) whom I think at one time did play for the Nosmo Kings. The Nosmo Kings if I remember correctly where managed for most of the time by Lennie Herbert from Great Harwood, who regular had them on at the Mercer Hall and can remember them supporting a Lennie Herbert promotion with headliners Nero & The Gladiators. Also the lead singer with the Nosmos(for a long number of years was very pally with the jay Turner Four and I think he did one or two guest spots, so I can see where there maybe a little confusion.

The Vidors became the Dynamites, The Dynamites became the Jay Turner Four, The Jay Turner Four became the James Turner Four and the James Turner Four became Second Time Around. This band spanned (the band spanned over 20 plus years with varying members) but the long term main players where: Gerard Navin (lead) John Tillotson (Bass) Ronnie Green (Rhythm & Vocals) Noel Smith (Drums) Vocalist: The late James Turner, The late Billy Kerr. also: John Turner Drums

Beejay (Agent/Manager)
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..