Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49   #1
Resting in Peace

Air Trips for Kids

Was talking to another member, GBell the other day about the once a year air trips which were organised for school kids from this area back in the 50s and early 60s. Think they used to take place on Maundy Thursday every year. It was like a school trip kids from schools in the are could go on a coach to, I think, Squires Gate Airport and would be flown back over Accrington and area for aerial view. Never actually went myself but know a few mates who did, think the plane made about 4 trips in the day. Does anybody else remember these events or better still did you do the trip
Old 09-09-2011, 11:11   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Air Trips for Kids

can remember em, never went though.........being from peasant stock,twas not viable.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:04   #3
Beacon of light

It was always ascension day......I never got to go on them either.......didn't get to go on school trips...there wasn't the money available for such luxuries.(I only ever went on one school trip - to Chester. My gran paid....but one of the boys threw my school beret in the river Dee.......he threw it like a frisbee. My Ma was none too pleased at having to buy me a new one)
I did envy the children who were able to go though.......I used to scan the skies on the day of their flight and imagine what they would be seeing from 'up there'.......while I was bound to terra firma.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 13:05   #4

I was only reading about this yesterday whilst going through some old Haslingden Observers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trip.jpg (483.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg trip2.jpg (540.3 KB, 11 views)
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:49   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
I was only reading about this yesterday whilst going through some old Haslingden Observers.
Thanks for those anzac

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..