Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2013, 15:54   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Am I Right In Noticing?

I remember as a child going to the corner shop to get a sliced loaf.

It was a new thing, probably the start of this consumer society we live in.

They always came in waxed paper, the names of various Companies breads no doubt are plenty.

We go to the supermarkets today and most for this area sell Warburtons or Rathbones.

I enjoy both.

Anyone remember though in the late 70's early 80's?

We seemed to switch to plastic bags with either a little twist thing similar to a pipe cleaner, or else a plastic tag.

Both meant to keep the bread fresh.

Neither worked, the bread always seemed to sweat in the packet, if mold didn't get it then you always had dry uninviting bread the following day.

What seems to be back on the shelves these days?

Bread, still sliced, but in waxed paper, why? because that is still one of the best ways for us to keep our staple diet on the shelf, no matter how we slice it.

After all, we take a couple of slices, push the paper down and it stays there not like a poly bag.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2013, 17:05   #2

Re: Am I Right In Noticing?

I'd not noticed this really, I hardly ever buy bread-but come to think of it now yes you're right!

Green/recycling reasons maybe?
It looks a lot nicer. Chuff knows what they put in bread that stays 'fresh'for long periods of time, anyway!
Old 23-03-2013, 17:14   #3
Senior Member+

yeh what do they put in bread for it to last so long?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 17:18   #4

I've never researched what it is exactly because I avoid eating bread so haven't needed to but I imagine stabilising chemicals and emulsifiers to stop the crystallisation ?
They may not be all that bad for you, I don't know. Still bit wary of it though! If I do buy it I just freeze some of it and/or keep it in the 'fridge.
Old 23-03-2013, 17:19   #5
Senior Member+

Bread never used to last as long as it does now
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 17:33   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yer right, but i hadn't noticed.
Old 23-03-2013, 17:36   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I've never researched what it is exactly because I avoid eating bread so haven't needed to but I imagine stabilising chemicals and emulsifiers to stop the crystallisation ?
They may not be all that bad for you, I don't know. Still bit wary of it though! If I do buy it I just freeze some of it and/or keep it in the 'fridge.
Calcium propionate to stop fungal growth.

What Is Calcium Propionate? (with picture)

Ever heard of the Chorleywood process? You might not want to eat a white sliced again...

The shocking truth about bread - Features - Food & Drink - The Independent
Old 23-03-2013, 17:42   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Bread never used to last as long as it does now
Lasts less than a day in my house, greedy gannets
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 17:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Ever heard of the Chorleywood process? You might not want to eat a white sliced again...

Have to love the wisegeek website

The CWP term is familiar but I'd never researched it.

As for white sliced-not touched that trash since I was about 10!One may as well eat a bowl of sugar for the good it does lol.

I do eat bread occasionally if I'm away from home but I like to get carbs from sources that have more nutrition in them than most breads do (and bread tends to make me fat quite easily)!
Old 23-03-2013, 18:17   #10
I am Banned

Waxed bread paper.... it was great for shining up the big slide on King Georges.
You went down like billy-o after that.
Many a ripped pair of school pants to explain away not to mention the gravel rash on your you know what.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 19:26   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Now I know why the bread I used to make never lasted fresh longer than a day, what gets me is why the so called top bread makers loaves are nearly twice the price of some small bakery's bread. As
for Warburtons & the other top names, the taste has changed in the last 12 months, and doen't last as long in the freezer.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 19:39   #12
Beacon of light

I hate Warbies bread......it feels like you are eating cotton wool.
I have been getting a batch loaf from Aldi for a long time now(I don't know if it was subject to the Chorleywood process, but it went mouldy fairly rapidly in summer)......I used to buy the wholemeal batch - they stopped making it, replaced it with a multigrain loaf which is awful...so I went over to the white batch loaf...liked it. It was fine for toast(sliced a bit thicker than medium)...Now, that had been discontinued in favour of a White Seeded Batch.......I wouldn't eat so many seeds if I were a damn budgie.......so now, I am on the search for a decent white loaf from which to make my morning toast - and the odd sandwich.
Any recommendations(other than bake it yourself) would be welcome.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 19:48   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been getting a batch loaf from Aldi for a long time now(I don't know if it was subject to the Chorleywood process, but it went mouldy fairly rapidly in summer)......I used to buy the wholemeal batch - they stopped making it, replaced it with a multigrain loaf which is awful...so I went over to the white batch loaf...liked it. It was fine for toast(sliced a bit thicker than medium)...Now, that had been discontinued in favour of a White Seeded Batch.......I wouldn't eat so many seeds if I were a damn budgie.......so now, I am on the search for a decent white loaf from which to make my morning toast - and the odd sandwich.
I agree, I hate bread or anything with seeds in it. I've been eating sliced oatmeal bread for a while, there are several makes, can't be any more specific as Richard gets it for me.

Isn't it annoying though when you find something you like and they discontinue it - makes you feel your custom isn't valued when you have to go scrabbling round for a substitute.

I think all mass produced bread is Chorleywood these days - we always keep ours in the fridge.
Old 23-03-2013, 19:57   #14
Beacon of light

I don't like oats at all...in anything. I know they are good for you...keep the cholesterol down and all that....but they don't agree with me......they speed up my digestive processes and make me windy(OK...TMI).

Well, the batch loaf from Aldi was a very open texture...it put me in mind of the bread we used to get years ago from a little bake shop near where we lived.......and it didn't have that annoying tendency of modern bread, where it sticks to the roof of your mouth.......and the crusts were not too hard.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 20:37   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Tesco's every day value isnt to bad for toast, not as big as a warburtons toastie, but not bad on price and taste
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..