Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2012, 21:28   #106
Senior Member+

Re: Any old AM CB radio users out there?

Its when you start looking back that you realise just how far down the road you have come, I was in at the start of am CB. Had one in the car, and a base station at home, but TVI drove me up the wall.
At its height every high spot was occupied by a car with a Cb'r inside. Then the kids must have all got one for Christmas and it was impossible to use the set without people walking all over the frequencies.Decided to take the Ham ticket (Dec1981), then took the Morse test (April 1984). Then it was back to having one in the car and a base station at home, and a portable radio as well this time.
Then moved house, put it all in a box and it stayed there for 10 years, and only recently dabbled slightly back on 2 mtrs and 70 cm, and funnily enough it is like the early days of am, not many people about.

I think life is a bit circular, and a little bit funny when you look back.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2012, 21:43   #107
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Its when you start looking back that you realise just how far down the road you have come, I was in at the start of am CB. Had one in the car, and a base station at home, but TVI drove me up the wall.
At its height every high spot was occupied by a car with a Cb'r inside. Then the kids must have all got one for Christmas and it was impossible to use the set without people walking all over the frequencies.Decided to take the Ham ticket (Dec1981), then took the Morse test (April 1984). Then it was back to having one in the car and a base station at home, and a portable radio as well this time.
Then moved house, put it all in a box and it stayed there for 10 years, and only recently dabbled slightly back on 2 mtrs and 70 cm, and funnily enough it is like the early days of am, not many people about.

Ha ha just like my other half, his radio amateur stuff has been in a box for a bit longer than ten years I think. Though I think I mentioned before, my brother in Belthorn has been licensed for about forty years and I think is still fairly active.
Old 19-09-2012, 19:41   #108
Senior Member+

I think it was all the hassle of dismantling my station and putting it in a box, I even had a crossed Yagi, on a rotator, on the roof, it was attached to the wall, when it rotated it just missed the chimney.
I could never muster the enthusiasm to go through all that again. I have recently purchased a portable radio, but there was no one of the airwaves, so that sits at my side and only gets turned on sporadically.

Computers now fill the space left by radio, and ham radio has moved onto the computer, it is now possible to work stations around the world through the computer using a virtual hf transmitter. For instance, I worked someone in Malta on 2 meters (line of sight transmissions normally) sat in my underpants in my front room on the computer, and I make no apology for that mental picture.
Old 04-10-2012, 19:19   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post

Surely there's only one davemac with a G4 in CLM. Does spraying a Rapier bright orange in a certain mean owt to you.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 21:11   #110
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Ha ha just like my other half, his radio amateur stuff has been in a box for a bit longer than ten years I think. Though I think I mentioned before, my brother in Belthorn has been licensed for about forty years and I think is still fairly active.
Do you know your brothers call sign Susie, I may have worked him at some time.
I had the B licence in about 81 and the A licence a couple if years later.
I passed theCW test first time at Fleetwood nautical college and then went on to pass the Marine Hf andVHF licence along with the inshore navigation ticket.

Ihad briefly dabbled in AM CB and because I drove a tanker I was known as the Tankerman.
Old 04-10-2012, 21:40   #111
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Do you know your brothers call sign Susie, I may have worked him at some time.
I had the B licence in about 81 and the A licence a couple if years later.
I passed theCW test first time at Fleetwood nautical college and then went on to pass the Marine Hf andVHF licence along with the inshore navigation ticket.

Ihad briefly dabbled in AM CB and because I drove a tanker I was known as the Tankerman.
He's John Creasey G4 FSD. And he taught at Fleetwood college for years, not quite sure when he started, now semi retired and I think he still does some work there.
Old 04-10-2012, 22:23   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
Surely there's only one davemac with a G4 in CLM. Does spraying a Rapier bright orange in a certain mean owt to you.
It certainly does, I was at Hawoth Park at the time, I was G6HQP when I worked at Haworth, then a few years later, G4XEI.

I checked your details, and it is not specific enough for me to suss you out.
Old 05-10-2012, 18:02   #113

Mac, it's Ian, G1 OPU once. Spent many hours on BQQ's roof installing more metalwork than goonhilly downs. That last post should've read "a certain park".

Last edited by MovedtoBolton; 05-10-2012 at 18:11.
Old 05-10-2012, 20:10   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
Mac, it's Ian, G1 OPU once. Spent many hours on BQQ's roof installing more metalwork than goonhilly downs. That last post should've read "a certain park".
Well blow me down, did you move on from the Post Office or still connected?
I know what you mean about on his roof, I still wake up sweating about some of the experiences, like the time we went up one sunny afternoon, whilst up there it went dark and frost developed on the slates, swinging across a slippery roof on a rope to get to the ladder, this bit should be in the thread "have you nearly killed yourself". If he had anything he always had to have the biggest and with a light on as well.

I see from your profile you are into photography, you may be interested in the "Today in Pictures" section in Accrington photos.

Nice to make contact again, keep posting on the site.
Just a quick question are you still licenced, I tried a callsign look up and it came back with a no results option. You may want to move this conversation onto the PM route if you have stuff you want to say but not generally broadcast.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:15   #115

PM sent
Old 06-10-2012, 22:54   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
PM sent
Got it , replied.
Old 07-10-2012, 18:16   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
He's John Creasey G4 FSD. And he taught at Fleetwood college for years, not quite sure when he started, now semi retired and I think he still does some work there.
I certainly worked him many years ago but only on VHF or UHF from the tanker.
We usually spoke when he was returning from work and I was on the last leg of my trip back from Newcastle (oop North)

I have a vague feeling his wife was licenced as well but maybe not.
Old 31-12-2012, 18:33   #118

Hi there. I've just come across this forum because I was thinking of getting a new CB setup for my 4x4, and was wondering if anybody was actually on CB these days.
I used to be on when it was good old AM and super secret. I can remember going to eyeballs at Martholme Grange and Bogarts in Darwen.
My handle was Daybreaker back then and will brobably go back to that if they still use handles that is.
Ah, the good old days.
Daybreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 17:20   #119

I loved my CB days, spent a few years being an idiot on it. My handle was CrazyKilt.
tony oconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 19:26   #120
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony oconnor View Post
I loved my CB days, spent a few years being an idiot on it. My handle was CrazyKilt.
Never had one, never interested me, am older n you n i'm still n idiot.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..