Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2011, 11:53   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Baby shortening!!!

I have just spoken to Ma and she has confirmed all of what I said.......and that the long clothes were to prevent the devil from getting the baby's soul(that was the superstition of the time)....she also said that if you hadn't been churched then some local women would not speak to you or acknowledge you in any way.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2011, 11:56   #17
Junior Member+

Thanks again for all your information it has been very helpful
Parrot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 18:30   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have just spoken to Ma and she has confirmed all of what I said.......and that the long clothes were to prevent the devil from getting the baby's soul(that was the superstition of the time)....she also said that if you hadn't been churched then some local women would not speak to you or acknowledge you in any way.
As I said, fear, induced by religious superstition, formulated to keep the masses subserviant to the church.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 18:59   #19
Give, give, give member

Might be nowt to do with priests, original sin, and swaddling clothes.

Your mum could have feared you were going to be called Beanpole.

Or, if it was only the one leg, Hopalong.

Limb shortening for the management of leg length discrepancy

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:57   #20
JCB

The Churching of mothers was quite common in the Catholic Church during my younger days . It was a simple ceremony when the mother gave thanks for the birth of her child on her first visit to the church after the birth .

As far as I know the practice has died out . I can recall a priest in a local Catholic parish in the late 1950s refusing to allow the ceremony because of the superstition surrounding it .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 20:28   #21
Senior Member+

i believe it was also at these ceremonies (certainly in very old churches) that the devil,was cast out from the child and it was the job of the nominated godparents to slam the 'devil's doorway' closed, so the devil could never return. there are not many of these churches left, in fact the only one i know of that remains is in york. (however sadly it is no longer a church but a storeroom for york city council junk)
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 20:38   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The Churching of mothers was quite common in the Catholic Church during my younger days . It was a simple ceremony when the mother gave thanks for the birth of her child on her first visit to the church after the birth .

As far as I know the practice has died out . I can recall a priest in a local Catholic parish in the late 1950s refusing to allow the ceremony because of the superstition surrounding it .
Yes that is what our vicar told me, but the common view, the one held by the people, was that it was to cleanse the woman of the stain of original sin........and as I said in a previous post women who had given birth and had not been 'churched' were not made welcome at social gatherings....and would be shunned by those who felt themselves to be devout Christians.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 21:16   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes that is what our vicar told me, but the common view, the one held by the people, was that it was to cleanse the woman of the stain of original sin........and as I said in a previous post women who had given birth and had not been 'churched' were not made welcome at social gatherings....and would be shunned by those who felt themselves to be devout Christians.
They probably packed in wi it cos it didn't work?
Old 22-11-2011, 22:50   #24
God Member

As a result of this thread I have a song jingle torturing me today -

"Mammas little baby loves shortnin, shortnin. Mammas little baby loves shortnin bread."
I found it featured on youtube but decided not to inflict it on you.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 06:21   #25
Junior Member+

Ha Ha MargaretR....I've had the same so annoying , sorry .
Parrot24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..