Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01   #151
Senior Member+

Re: Barbary Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Brings back a few memories that wadey, brings the old saying back to mind "manning the bridge" which was the most unpopular job at the Cav, just a pity there are no picks of the inside both before and after the fire
Yeah i recall the fire at the Cav Jaysay, it was always regarded as an "Insurance Job" but i guess most fires seem to get that rumour attached to them. We used to do some printing for them, and later when it became the Peppermint Place. Didn't they call it the "new" Cavendish once it reopened, and i think as a touch of irony the dot over the i in Cavendish became a Flame!!

I remember seeing Bob Monkhouse and Tommy Cooper there, as well as Showaddywaddy too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2010, 16:29   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
all this talk of barbary coast has got me wanting a visit.
anyone fancy a barbary coast ( whats left of it ) saturday night pub crawl sometime ?
If I still lived there I'd be up for it, If there is any interest would even make a special trip
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 16:37   #153

Tony Christie was always on at the Cav, Bernard Manning, The tymes ( Miss Grace) who was the Irish comedian around at the time?
Old 11-08-2010, 16:39   #154
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
If I still lived there I'd be up for it, If there is any interest would even make a special trip
You sound like you are wicked...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 16:46   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You sound like you are wicked...
Hey can still party and do a pub crawl but would hope a responsible member would be present maybe a moderator!
Old 11-08-2010, 17:53   #156
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yeah i recall the fire at the Cav Jaysay, it was always regarded as an "Insurance Job" but i guess most fires seem to get that rumour attached to them. We used to do some printing for them, and later when it became the Peppermint Place. Didn't they call it the "new" Cavendish once it reopened, and i think as a touch of irony the dot over the i in Cavendish became a Flame!!

I remember seeing Bob Monkhouse and Tommy Cooper there, as well as Showaddywaddy too!

Best Regards - Taggy
I was back stage security for Tommy and Showaddywaddy, the later were managed by Baileys who owned the Cav or New Cav as it was called, changed to peppers after I left
Old 11-08-2010, 18:31   #157
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was back stage security for Tommy and Showaddywaddy, the later were managed by Baileys who owned the Cav or New Cav as it was called, changed to peppers after I left
Back Stage Security for Tommy!!!.....Did that involve keeping the drinks secure from him Jaysay?...Tommy was well known for his love of a tipple or 7!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:08   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
Tony Christie was always on at the Cav, Bernard Manning, The tymes ( Miss Grace) who was the Irish comedian around at the time?
Frank Carson?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 20:25   #159

Just phoned a friend. Dave Allen
Old 11-08-2010, 20:28   #160
God Member

I saw Eartha Kitt there - complete with feather boa and chaise longue (her not me )

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:59   #161
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Back Stage Security for Tommy!!!.....Did that involve keeping the drinks secure from him Jaysay?...Tommy was well known for his love of a tipple or 7!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Tommy was a very complex character Taggy, everything had to be in place every night, i.e. Same security, same taxi driver, same waitress etc. The Taxi driver, Tez used to pick me up at the stage door every night at 8-30 then of to the Saxon, Tez waited while I went up to Tommy's room, is first question was (and in exactly the same voice as TV) what they like tonight John( the audience) then I'd pick his bag up collect his agent from the next room then back to the Cav, then I was outside the door until he went on stage then back to the door afterwards, well usually inside the dressing room. You won't believe this but Tommy suffered from hug bouts of Stage Fright and necked nearly a full bottle of scotch before going on stage. On the Friday night he wen with us to the Sakumo restaurant for meal and a few drinks, He dropped me off in his taxi at Ossy Town Hall at 7am Saturday morning, with everybody waiting for the bus to Howard and Bulloughs, there faces were a picture with Tommy leaning out of the window shouting see you tonight John

Last edited by jaysay; 12-08-2010 at 10:07.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14   #162
Resting in Peace

The one artiste who appeared at the Cav who I couldn't stand was Lynn Paul, ex New Seekers, her name translated into Chinese was Foo Kin Cow and she was one, big time, she was so far up herself it was unbelievable, was glad when she moved on
Old 12-08-2010, 14:01   #163

Lynda Susan Belcher
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 14:07   #164
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I saw Eartha Kitt there - complete with feather boa and chaise longue (her not me )
I had n Eartha Kitt yon meself.
Old 12-08-2010, 18:18   #165
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I had n Eartha Kitt yon meself.
I had one of them whenever there was a coach load of scousers booked in the Cav on a Friday night

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..