Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 18:20   #166
Resting in Peace

Re: Barbary Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Lynda Susan Belcher
Was that her proper name wadey, no wonder she changed it
Old 12-08-2010, 18:25   #167
God Member

Was there not a Belcher Baths in Blackburn at one time? I wonder why it was so called...maybe summat to do with what you were swimming in?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 18:37   #168
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Was there not a Belcher Baths in Blackburn at one time? I wonder why it was so called...maybe summat to do with what you were swimming in?
Twas Belper Street baths Tealeaf, if I remember rightly it was near the college
Old 12-08-2010, 18:45   #169
God Member

No...that was Blakeamoor baths...really old Victorian stuff...like Accy baths, but alot smaller.
Old 12-08-2010, 18:52   #170
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No...that was Blakeamoor baths...really old Victorian stuff...like Accy baths, but alot smaller.
Ya off course, but belper street weren't that fare because we actually went swimming during lunch when we were at college, the guy who was the supervisor was the chap who used to teach swimming at accy baths when I was a school, Jim Smith, he died not too long ago, there was an article in the Obs about him
Old 12-08-2010, 19:08   #171
God Member

Yeah...I remember him...the man with the pole.

We had proper swimming pools in those days. Mind you, it was only about 6 years ago I got slung out that 'Waves' pool in Blackburn for misbehaving.
Old 13-08-2010, 05:47   #172
God Member

Quote:
might be getting confused here , but seem to remember Belper St. baths were in the Daisyfield area of Blackburn(off top of Harwood St.general area near the Sir William Hopwood pub/greyhound race track ? to the left before the railway underpass to the Northrop) , Blakemoor and Freckleton St. were the other two swimming baths in B,Burn ... talking about the late 50s early 60s
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 09:21   #173
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
might be getting confused here , but seem to remember Belper St. baths were in the Daisyfield area of Blackburn(off top of Harwood St.general area near the Sir William Hopwood pub/greyhound race track ? to the left before the railway underpass to the Northrop) , Blakemoor and Freckleton St. were the other two swimming baths in B,Burn ... talking about the late 50s early 60s
Now you've got me puzzled SJ I know we used to go for a swim from college in the sixties and the baths were quite close to the college, somewhere between the college and the Mecca
Old 13-08-2010, 14:21   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was that her proper name wadey, no wonder she changed it

Lyn Paul, born Lynda Susan Belcher (16 February 1949 in Wythenshawe, Manchester), is an English pop singer. She changed her name to Lyn Paul before joining the international pop group The New Seekers in 1970. She has now found most recognition and critical acclaim as the lead role Mrs Johnstone, in long running West End musical Blood Brothers.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 17:40   #175
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Lyn Paul, born Lynda Susan Belcher (16 February 1949 in Wythenshawe, Manchester), is an English pop singer. She changed her name to Lyn Paul before joining the international pop group The New Seekers in 1970. She has now found most recognition and critical acclaim as the lead role Mrs Johnstone, in long running West End musical Blood Brothers.
Thanks for that wadey, but she's still a supercilious bitch, she really did think she was gods gift
Old 17-09-2010, 19:29   #176
Junior Member+

You are way off with Belper St. Baths. It is (still going) situated at th bottom of Belper st. off Cob Wall ,Whalley Old Road. about 300 mts from St. Albans Church.

Blackamoore Baths (girls only) was at the rear of King Georges Hall.

Freckleton St Baths was off King St. .
Freckleton St. was opposite what used to be the Elma Yerbugh pub. now a hire shop
s.pollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:37   #177
Junior Member+

Pubs ... Vulcan, Jubilee, Ribbledale, George. Turn Right and at the bottom of St was the Swan, Sun and Thwaites or Saemes.
The Wine lodge was where Debenhams is opposite the Abbey.It moved to Church st..
Opposite the Cav was the Grosvenor Pub and there was a Chinese behind it down the ginnel
s.pollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 20:10   #178
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.pollard View Post
You are way off with Belper St. Baths. It is (still going) situated at th bottom of Belper st. off Cob Wall ,Whalley Old Road. about 300 mts from St. Albans Church.

Yep , it was the Daisyfield area ,got my pubs mixed up , was the Florance not the William Hopwood , general area around Moss st. near to where the railway station used to be . (Dog track was top end of Harwood st and Little Harwood/Daisyfield at the bottom end.)
Just taken a look at the area on Google earth and there sure have been lots of changes to the area .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 09:13   #179
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.pollard View Post

Blackamoore Baths (girls only) was at the rear of King Georges Hall.

Freckleton St Baths was off King St. .
Freckleton St. was opposite what used to be the Elma Yerbugh pub. now a hire shop
Freckleton Street Baths, that where we went from college in the 60s
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Freckleton Street Baths, that where we went from college in the 60s
Freckleton St baths were near St Peter's graveyard / church Jaysay, sort of near where the new bridge is now. Like you say, only a few minutes walk from the college.

Blakeymoor baths were in the basement of Blakeymoor school. I worked in that building for years while the baths were still open (council run). The college, who I worked for at the time, took over the baths when it closed. For years we used it as a storage area, but eventually it was converted into classrooms and staff areas. The pool is still there to this day, it was just boarded over. There's an access hatch in the middle classroom. I'll bet 99% of the students (and staff) that have classes in there don't realise there's a swimming pool below their feet. It must have been gas lit in its early days, as when we were converting it, I found an old gas mantle above a suspended ceiling.

Colin
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..