Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2010, 19:51   #76

Re: Barbary Coast

I remember most of these, wasn,t there a sleazy pub called the Top Hat where the die hards used to go later, not that I ever went was always on the last bus home, well nearly.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2010, 20:25   #77

I'm utterly at a loss to understand how anyone can remember their nights out on the Barbary Coast !! We used to go out in the car Saturday nights - meet up in the local Sunday lunch & try to guess who drove home !!!
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 20:42   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
I remember most of these, wasn,t there a sleazy pub called the Top Hat where the die hards used to go later, not that I ever went was always on the last bus home, well nearly.
Twas not a pub kikine the Top Hat was the "King" of nightclubs,.......................if ya were a puff,lesbian, rogue, n had a degree in violence, twas a great night out.
Old 14-07-2010, 20:43   #79

Forgotten the name of the owner
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 20:47   #80

Happy Mondays 180487 at The Top Hat, thanks to
http://www.last.fm/event/752744+Happ...+18+April+1987
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Happy Mondays 180487.jpg (15.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 14-07-2010, 21:53   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

long after my time wadey, late 60s early 70s. when it was really classy.
Old 15-07-2010, 00:13   #82
God Member

Quote:
The Top Hat..in the 70's it was a den.. at sixteen in Blackburn drinking up to 11 o'clock we asked some bods in the Dun were we could get a drink.. he says the tophat will let anyone in.. yes, let me in and paid my money.. got to the bar and got whizzed out.. great money making project..but the tophat ended up as somewere yo could go as a last result..it was some sort of mixed up gaff..some hard nuts , some transvstites and just bods having a late drink and such but always a great disco.. plenty of tamla and 60's stuff.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 10:06   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Twas not a pub kikine the Top Hat was the "King" of nightclubs,.......................if ya were a puff,lesbian, rogue, n had a degree in violence, twas a great night out.
Wine, Dine and Bleed at the Top Hat
Old 15-07-2010, 10:21   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Forgotten the name of the owner
Cyril Kenyon wadey
Old 15-07-2010, 10:22   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Happy Mondays 180487 at The Top Hat, thanks to
Happy Mondays at TOP HAT CLUB (BLACKBURN) on 18 Apr 1987 ? Last.fm
Bet they weren't as Happy after that gig
Old 15-07-2010, 14:14   #86

Cyril Kenyon wadey

Thanks jaysay
Old 15-07-2010, 17:33   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Cyril Kenyon wadey

Thanks jaysay
Your welcome, he also had a place in the centre of Colne too
Old 22-07-2010, 20:26   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Cyril Kenyon wadey
nowt wrong with your memory, Cyril..... ? it would have taken me forever to remember that. do remember him though, quiet sort of chap. The music and dancing was great so I heard, ok did go there once or twice!1
Old 23-07-2010, 09:44   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
nowt wrong with your memory, Cyril..... ? it would have taken me forever to remember that. do remember him though, quiet sort of chap. The music and dancing was great so I heard, of did go there once or twice!1
As wide as he was tall nearly The reason I remembered him kikine is because I knew him, you got to know Cyril when you worked the nightclub scene
Old 23-07-2010, 15:12   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
As wide as he was tall nearly The reason I remembered him kikine is because I knew him, you got to know Cyril when you worked the nightclub scene
Our paths must have crossed. Did you work the Top Hat? The clubs I remember were the Mecca to become I think Golden Palms, Cats whiskas, Cabin End, Cavendish and of course the legendary Martholme with grab a granny on Wednesdays. Oh and Lar de Dars although I was past clubbing by then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..