Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2010, 15:04   #1

Best year(s) while living in Accy

1970, 17 going on 18 and just started to hit the Accy nightlife on a regular basis. OK what nightlife??? When your allowed into the pubs as an adult the world is yours!!!! Had my 1st tash, string on a lip! Tight fitting flared trousers and tight fitting shirts!!! Long hair. The girls wearing HOTPANTS for goodness sake!!!! Did have some better years but this was the one that stood out for me!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2010, 15:18   #2

Re: Best year(s) while living in Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
1970, 17 going on 18 and just started to hit the Accy nightlife on a regular basis. OK what nightlife??? When your allowed into the pubs as an adult the world is yours!!!! Had my 1st tash, string on a lip! Tight fitting flared trousers and tight fitting shirts!!! Long hair. The girls wearing HOTPANTS for goodness sake!!!! Did have some better years but this was the one that stood out for me!!
Same age, same year, I loved my hotpants.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 15:54   #3
God Member

Oh dear...looks like senile dementia has set in with you two.

'Hotpants' were 1971, not 1970.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 16:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Oh dear...looks like senile dementia has set in with you two.

'Hotpants' were 1971, not 1970.
wore them a lot did you?
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 16:40   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
wore them a lot did you?
No..too young..but in later years I removed a few (denim cut-offs by then).
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 16:40   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

63 fer me, started work could afford me first made to measure suit, music was taking off on a different tangent, could afford 3/4 dance halls a week, flicks a couple of times etc etc, got me motor bike,was just magic, the rest of that decade was great also.
Old 20-08-2010, 16:51   #7

Hate to say I did this but just Googled to see about the time frame and it did say "very fashionable in the 70's" My 1st proper girlfried had a pink hotants suit on when I first saw her down the Lone Star!!!!
Old 20-08-2010, 17:43   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
63 fer me, started work could afford me first made to measure suit, music was taking off on a different tangent, could afford 3/4 dance halls a week, flicks a couple of times etc etc, got me motor bike,was just magic, the rest of that decade was great also.
My first years on the scene was 1962, when jiving was frowned on at Accy Con, Ballroom dancing only, jiving round the sides was regularly howled from the stage, then between 9-30 and 10 the jivers filled the whole floor whilst the Band was on their break. It wasn't long before Monday nights became a cult with Bernard presents, (Bernard was also steward at Stanley Supporters club Jazz club) The Lionel Morton Four, were resident, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Herman's Hermits, Freddie and the Dreamers, and many many more the good old days
Old 20-08-2010, 18:18   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Instead of reminisce does anyone mind if I cry?

Just as randy but can't seem to pull them as well as I did in the sixties, (even the blind ones have some sort of warning on their sticks).

Please whatever you do don't grass me up by reading this to the really blind, that would ruin what little chance I actually have!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 18:20   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Hate to say I did this but just Googled to see about the time frame and it did say "very fashionable in the 70's" My 1st proper girlfried had a pink hotants suit on when I first saw her down the Lone Star!!!!
hotants suit? bet she was nifty. ya probably also mean the Lode Star?
Old 20-08-2010, 18:38   #11

50 ??? she wasn't 50!!! Yes she was nifty, we got married 4 years later! Always did and always do get the Lode/Lone Star wrong.
Old 20-08-2010, 18:43   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
50 ??? she wasn't 50!!! Yes she was nifty, we got married 4 years later! Always did and always do get the Lode/Lone Star wrong.
Hotants = nifty. hotpants = good gear. me own late wife was a lode star lass.
Old 20-08-2010, 18:47   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Sorry Looked through the thread, can't see anyone mentioning 50 either as a decade or a ladies age, perhaps you should ask Nursie for a fresh pair of underwear and stop getting so worked up? (Bless).

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 18:50   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Instead of reminisce does anyone mind if I cry?

Just as randy but can't seem to pull them as well as I did in the sixties, (even the blind ones have some sort of warning on their sticks).

Please whatever you do don't grass me up by reading this to the really blind, that would ruin what little chance I actually have!
I won't say out Less, honest
Old 20-08-2010, 18:53   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just for further reference G. The lode star was down the ribble valley, the Lone Star is Texas

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..