Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2012, 19:49   #1

Smile big crown, next to joe morts

in my younger years a thousand years ago,(or seems that) i used to frequent a few accy pubs but one that really stuck out was the big crown, it was next to railway bridge,opposite side of bridge to gibsons sports shop, frank monahan, was the land lord and stood no messing, with his huge shelaleagh, behind the bar he wasnt frightened of useing it either,if any trouble prevailed,the regulars was mostly of irish decent or wanted to be , i think at that time a lot of the black stuff was drank, guiness, one guy really stuck out his nickname was bruno, i beleave he was an electrician by trade, but road digging was his money earner,

can any one rember
around the same time, alex higgins was a regular, when frank would let him in,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-09-2012, 21:36   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: big crown, next to joe morts

Remember Frank well, Bumped into his daughter Pat in Morecambe a good few years ago, Bruno croaked a few years back, When Higgins was goin in yon,he was living wi me mate @ me. Johnny Fritz, Scotch Bob, Cyl, Jimmy Mcgogh, n others i can't bring to mind all went in in those days.

Last edited by cashman; 20-09-2012 at 21:40.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 21:44   #3
God Member

Bruno wired a ring main in a kitchen for me.
I bought all the wires and sockets and had to collect him from his home and deliver him back.

Before work there was always a detour via the selling out shop (to stop his hands shaking), and when I watched him wire it up live to the mains I was praying!

During those few days he told me a lot about his rather hair raising past life.
A likeable rogue.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 21:51   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

He was actually a good sparks Margaret, understand yer concern though, He was also a good geezer in my book.
Old 21-09-2012, 11:57   #5

bruno was ok he rewired a house for me in annie street, donkeys years ago,jimmy and john fitz went to school at rhy ddings when i did, jimmy was in same class for a while,
jimmy mcgogh lived on higher antley street when i knew him, was scotch bob a bricky??
there was a scotch bob worked with bill berry, bill was always a decent bricky, i used to go sea fishing with bill with a fishing club from accy, i should imagine some time in our past, (cashman) our paths have crossed. bruno was the guy scottish by birth but wanted to be irish.
Old 21-09-2012, 12:30   #6
God Member

Bruno was from Kirkintilloch
Old 21-09-2012, 17:12   #7
God Member

Scotch Bob's real name was Robert Burns Dickie and he lived longest amongst the Scottish 'lads' - he died last year

Mr Robert Burns Dickie | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 17:42   #8

i seem to remember a bob slimish guy, maybe thinning hair, i have just looked at the observer, yes i remember him, he died on my birthday, george kennedy, was another of the gang
Old 22-09-2012, 07:58   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
in my younger years a thousand years ago,(or seems that) i used to frequent a few accy pubs but one that really stuck out was the big crown, it was next to railway bridge,opposite side of bridge to gibsons sports shop, frank monahan, was the land lord and stood no messing, with his huge shelaleagh, behind the bar he wasnt frightened of useing it either,if any trouble prevailed,the regulars was mostly of irish decent or wanted to be , i think at that time a lot of the black stuff was drank, guiness, one guy really stuck out his nickname was bruno, i beleave he was an electrician by trade, but road digging was his money earner,

can any one rember
around the same time, alex higgins was a regular, when frank would let him in,
I think my time in the Crown was a little while before you - mid, late '50s. Closest pub to Mort's
Old 22-09-2012, 08:12   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
i seem to remember a bob slimish guy, maybe thinning hair, i have just looked at the observer, yes i remember him, he died on my birthday, george kennedy, was another of the gang
George Kennedy is gone also, am friendly n still see his ex wife, from when they lived on Hyndburn Rd.
Old 22-09-2012, 14:11   #11

he lived on the estate what was off whalley road, when he worked on the old tar, with me jimmy fitz, and a guy nicknamed carrot, used to drive for me,tarmac was £6-10s a ton then its about £120-00 a ton now, they was good days, and good lads the crown was our local, i then moved back over to sunny nelson,
Old 22-09-2012, 21:16   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
he lived on the estate what was off whalley road, when he worked on the old tar, with me jimmy fitz, and a guy nicknamed carrot, used to drive for me,tarmac was £6-10s a ton then its about £120-00 a ton now, they was good days, and good lads the crown was our local, i then moved back over to sunny nelson,
Would carrot be either Docker or Donny?
Old 23-09-2012, 10:18   #13

not sure it was a long time ago, docker rings a bell, the wagon i bought off john fitz was an old ironfields tk, but was a ten tonner, carrot had a heavy goods licence and did drive for a living at that time, if that helps, and of course red hair, hence carrot, but my sister saw him not so long ago,in a pub around the back of the old stanley ground --jaz club, cant remember the name of it, so he is still about,
Old 23-09-2012, 10:52   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
not sure it was a long time ago, docker rings a bell, the wagon i bought off john fitz was an old ironfields tk, but was a ten tonner, carrot had a heavy goods licence and did drive for a living at that time, if that helps, and of course red hair, hence carrot, but my sister saw him not so long ago,in a pub around the back of the old stanley ground --jaz club, cant remember the name of it, so he is still about,
That would be the Peel Park a top pub, Docker n Donny both had red hair n mated together, aint seen docker fer years, but donnys still knocking about, when he aint working away,his real name was Donald Holden, has a older sis called Pat who was hairdresser, also i know he used to have a flat wagon. so who knows?
Old 23-09-2012, 19:04   #15

yes it was the peel park dont know if its age creeping up or the fact i have been away from your area so long, i will have to ask my sis, she maybe knows his nickname or real name for that matter,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..