Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2012, 14:47   #1
Rest in Peace

Black &Tan

Talking to my son in law the other day the converation got round to all the modern drinks available at pubs and night clubs,I mentioned drinking black and tans at the Derby in Accrington in the 1950s he asked what they were and I cannot remember were they Guiness & OBJ, or OBJ & Jubilee Stout, or something quite different.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2012, 15:05   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Black &Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Talking to my son in law the other day the converation got round to all the modern drinks available at pubs and night clubs,I mentioned drinking black and tans at the Derby in Accrington in the 1950s he asked what they were and I cannot remember were they Guiness & OBJ, or OBJ & Jubilee Stout, or something quite different.
Stout and bitter or pale ale, no particular brand as I remember. I had a boyfriend who used to drink it and I used to think it was terribly macho - not that we used such a word in those days!
Old 21-11-2012, 15:05   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Hell thats a drink i'd forgotten, think twas Guinness or OBJ. wi a pale ale? seems susies got a better memory n both of us clayton ex.
Old 21-11-2012, 15:11   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hell thats a drink i'd forgotten, think twas Guinness or OBJ. wi a pale ale? seems susies got a better memory n both of us clayton ex.
That's because I didn't drink it!
Old 21-11-2012, 15:25   #5
God Member

I quite like a pint of Golden ( bitter and lager mix) then of course there is Snakebite ( cider and lager ) .

I was also partial to a Thwaites Big Ben with a dark rum chaser..... ( you can only get Big Ben occasionally now when they do a special bottled run )

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 15:47   #6

the derbys, now that place brings back memorys, i saw jasper carrott in the back room there, but for the life in me i cant remember the time, i think black and tan was stout and bitter but i drank brown split in those long gone days, and that was brown ale and bitter, first one was in the brown cow at ossy, i think?it was opposite side to the foxhill, just below the clinic, minds gone, but i,m sure some one will remember got done for drinking under age and that was a brown split, i think the fine was 10 bob,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 16:00   #7
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Just thinking of the Derby was there any more Dutton pubs in Accy ?
(cummon Cashy get those brains going.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 17:09   #8
God Member

Quote:
Lots of them ... and in Clayton too ... I used to enjoy a pint in the Village Blacksmith on Bayley St.. Come to think of it, working at Dutton's was my first real summer job. We got a beer allowance in the morning and one in the afternoon ... health and safety ... god knows how many of us had a glow on by 3:00 pm

Oh ... and I remember Black and Tan as half best bitter and half Guinness. What were the words in that song about Liverpool? Something like "there's lots of girls with peroxide curls; and the black and tan flows free.?" Anyone remember Black Velvet? Half Guiness and half cider?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 17:10   #9
Senior Member+

It was one of my favourites - Guinness & Thwaites Bitter for me, but it was OK with Massey's & Lion - the Guinness used to cover up the taste of those.
Old 21-11-2012, 17:14   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Yeh Kings Arms on Lee St pretty near, centre. Think the Arden on abbey st was also.? Think the long gone pub up corner of Stanley St n Washington st also duttons was it Stanley arms? must be more but at this point am off out.
Old 21-11-2012, 18:33   #11
Senior Member+

Cross Guns in Church?
Old 21-11-2012, 18:35   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Cross Guns in Church?
Yep that was one.
Old 21-11-2012, 18:44   #13
Senior Member+

guiness and bitter, the black and tan didnt only refer to the colour, it was also a referance to the british army in the early part of the century in Ireland!

Diesel = snake bite with blackcurrant
Blastaways = bottle of castaway and bottle of diamond white, tasted like lilt, but knocked you on your ar5e

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 19:03   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
guiness and bitter, the black and tan didnt only refer to the colour, it was also a referance to the british army in the early part of the century in Ireland!

Diesel = snake bite with blackcurrant
Blastaways = bottle of castaway and bottle of diamond white, tasted like lilt, but knocked you on your ar5e
Which century
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 19:10   #15
Senior Member+

20th

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..