Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00   #1

Blythe Chemicals Works

Does anyone remember working here in the 60's and 70's. Had to be the dirtiest place on the planet to work at that time. I worked for Pilkington Bros. who did lots of work for them. ALL of my tools took on a grey colour with no shine on anything, what did it do to your lungs I wonder. Is it still there and has the place been cleaned up yet???? It must have!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Blythe Chemicals Works

worked yon from mid 70s until late 90s, improved greatly from the introduction of H.S.W.A. in early 70s, was a top place to work, some good lads, until was taken oer by "Yule Catto" early 90s, they were only interested in finance, its still yon but most things/ people now gone, since the clowns ran the circus.
Old 05-12-2009, 13:59   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
worked yon from mid 70s until late 90s
Do you remember Dick Cunliffe (welders shop foreman)? "Si thi theer lad, sal ammoniac, iron filings and hoss p1ss, that's wod thi used to mek them theer from."
Roy Roberts, who used to be the fitters shop foreman, is usually to be found in the main stand at Stanley home matches.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 17:54   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Do you remember Dick Cunliffe (welders shop foreman)? "Si thi theer lad, sal ammoniac, iron filings and hoss p1ss, that's wod thi used to mek them theer from."
Roy Roberts, who used to be the fitters shop foreman, is usually to be found in the main stand at Stanley home matches.
Yep "Black Dick" as they used to call him, Roy Roberts i still see occasionally, used to be one of my groupies in the "Plough" still lives up that way, Top Geezer, health aint so good these days though. never seen roy up stanley, mind i'm in clayton end.
Old 05-12-2009, 18:20   #5
Senior Member+

My brother Phil McHugh used to work there a lot. Nigel Talbot also worked their it was one of those places you could always get a job, such as Karrimor, Crown Paints, Metcalfes and what was that gift factory down Church Lane.

All places to Kill some time...

And earn some money!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 20:36   #6

[quote=kestrelx;767730]My brother Phil McHugh used to work there a lot. Nigel Talbot also worked their it was one of those places you could always get a job, such as Karrimor, Crown Paints, Metcalfes and what was that gift factory down Church Lane.

All places to Kill some time...

while "abusing the rules" no doubt
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 20:39   #7
God Member

Seem to remember that a few Polish chaps worked there in the years after WW2.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 21:17   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot66 View Post
[
while "abusing the rules" no doubt
Ha ha! I abused a few rules when I worked at ASDA say no more!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Does anyone remember working here in the 60's and 70's. Had to be the dirtiest place on the planet to work at that time. I worked for Pilkington Bros. who did lots of work for them. ALL of my tools took on a grey colour with no shine on anything, what did it do to your lungs I wonder. Is it still there and has the place been cleaned up yet???? It must have!
I worked at Pilks in the early 70s gdm, and worked a Blythe's on many occasion, me thinks I may know you
Old 06-12-2009, 10:27   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Seem to remember that a few Polish chaps worked there in the years after WW2.
Still quite a few there in my time, all good workers, some could go back home fer a visit, some couldn't, Depending on which uniform they were wearing at the end of W.W.2.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I worked at Pilks in the early 70s gdm, and worked a Blythe's on many occasion, me thinks I may know you
Sent you a message a few days ago!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 20:31   #12

as a hgv driver in the seventies I remember driving into blythes yard to load a manchester liners container and told to report to the yard forman who turned out to be joe slattery ex accrington stanley footballer an old friend from wnen we both worked at the NBC joe at the coke works the job he took after the football and I was a tipper driver on the transport we got made redundant together he went to blythes I went to thomas gilmartins transport and then gilbraiths among the drivers at blythes at that time jimmy hargreaves and a lad from rishton where I lived at that time big jim loynds I believe jim had to finish driving through bad health but blythes kept him on as a forklift driver
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 20:54   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Remember em all Keith, Joe Slatt, was G.S.D. Foreman, big Jim, n Jimmy, both good lads n drivers.
Old 06-12-2009, 20:59   #14
God Member

Joe Slattery is an ace guy
Old 20-03-2011, 20:37   #15
Junior Member+

Went there once on a school trip in the Sixties. I remember having to wear goggles and it seemed terrifying!

They used to have a couple of sidings on the railway - one either side of the road bridge.

The one on the Accrington side were mostly for coal - invariably shunted by 47201 - which dated from the nineteenth century.

The ones on the Rishton side generally had tar wagons in there - owned by Lancashire Tar Distillers (somewhere near Manchester) - which were covered in an evil looking black gunk.

Rgds

John45378
John45378 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..