Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2014, 18:21   #1
Senior Member+

'Boil in the bag' kippers

Remember when a bloke used to come into pubs selling seafood from a tray ? I bought 'boil in the bag' kipper fillets with a knob of butter in. Can these still be bought ? Where from ? The name 'Kershaw's' comes to my mind, but I feel sure that MacFisheries also sold them
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2014, 18:26   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 'Boil in the bag' kippers

There were 2 firms Bob sold around the pubs Kershaws and Buntings who i did a spell for, Believe me the "Ice Cream Wars" weren't in it if we did the same pubs. happy days. sure ive seen em in supermarkets recently.
Old 09-08-2014, 18:34   #3
Beacon of light

Yes, You can still get them....though I would rather eat my own eyeballs.
Himself likes kippers and buys these for himself....I can still smell them days after he has eaten them......rank.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 18:36   #4
Senior Member+

'Boil in the bag' kippers

Asda sell them.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 18:47   #5
Senior Member+

Reyt . I'll pick some up and get them between two slices of bread. I cannot manage the real thing - I cannot stand the bones.
Old 09-08-2014, 19:12   #6

Also recently in Tesco - but were not as good as those I used to get in the IOM.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 19:48   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Reyt . I'll pick some up and get them between two slices of bread. I cannot manage the real thing - I cannot stand the bones.
You'll need a waterproof butty- they come out all soggy and horrible and although they have hardly any taste the smell lasts for ages.

I'm sure you can buy kipper fillets without all the bones for grilling or frying, much better.]Try Morrisons fish counter, I think that's where I saw them.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 19:54   #8
Senior Member+

I'll have a look at these too. I like the soggy bread. They don't need chewing - a good suck does it.
Old 09-08-2014, 20:05   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I'll have a look at these too. I like the soggy bread. They don't need chewing - a good suck does it.
Start putting your teeth back in before you eat, you'll be able to chew then!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 20:07   #10

Buy some crab sticks
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 13:09   #11
God Member

These are good, smoked traditionally not chemically like some of the supermarket kippers. Not too far from you.

Kippers direct from the smokehouse. Buy traditional kippers or boneless fillets.
MargaretR likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 13:26   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
These are good, smoked traditionally not chemically like some of the supermarket kippers. Not too far from you.

Kippers direct from the smokehouse. Buy traditional kippers or boneless fillets.
Is this the smokehouse at Glasson Dock?
Old 10-08-2014, 17:40   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson
Is this the smokehouse at Glasson Dock?
It is. Their smoked mackerel's pretty good too.

Old 10-08-2014, 19:18   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post

Thank you for posting the link to this site - I have ordered some kipper fillets

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 13:10   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR
Thank you for posting the link to this site - I have ordered some kipper fillets
Let us know what you think.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..