Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 10:39   #16
Rest in Peace

Re: Buying stuff way back!!! How things have changed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sounds a bit like what I did claytonx, only we bought second hand furniture (people did that in those days, now everything has to be new) the inlaws bought the 3 piece suite, my parents fitted carpets and a new twin tub washer (do they still make them) Ya the good old days
I had a good wage John as a underground mechanic at Huncoat Pit and could make my own overtime.While my wife worked at Clayton laundry and had a good wage.Mortgage was £4.25 per month,no car, no telephone,no tv very little outgoing expence.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2012, 11:27   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Thanks, I've seen the blog.

No, Rowland Joynson, think that's the right spelling, was a reporter on the Observer. The grocer I think was Herbert and there was a Herbert Joinson on the Accy absent voters list after WW1 so he would have been approaching retirement in the 50s/60s.
There are 3 Joinson's in the Absent Voters list, they all lived in Clayton.
The Absent Voters list wasn't after WW1.
After WW1 they wouldn't be absent, that list was created in 1918 whilst the war was on. It was supposed to have been created by the soldiers filling in forms, but thats bull shine.
There are three men in the Accrington list, who were killed in action 2 years earlier, who filled in those forms, who filled in the forms of men missing in action, later to be found as prisoners of war.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-01-2012 at 11:30.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There are 3 Joinson's in the Absent Voters list, they all lived in Clayton.
The Absent Voters list wasn't after WW1.
After WW1 they wouldn't be absent, that list was created in 1918 whilst the war was on. It was supposed to have been created by the soldiers filling in forms, but thats bull shine.
There are three men in the Accrington list, who were killed in action 2 years earlier, who filled in those forms, who filled in the forms of men missing in action, later to be found as prisoners of war.
Retlaw.
Thanks for that info Walter, it's fascinating.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 14:16   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I had a good wage John as a underground mechanic at Huncoat Pit and could make my own overtime.While my wife worked at Clayton laundry and had a good wage.Mortgage was £4.25 per month,no car, no telephone,no tv very little outgoing expence.
The laundry where your wife worked? Was that at the end of Lower Barnes Street?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:07   #20
God Member

My Great-Aunt, Lucy Border (neè Croston) ran the laundry down in Clayton for a long time -it was on the left half way down Whallley Road from The Greyhound pub.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:10   #21
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The laundry where your wife worked? Was that at the end of Lower Barnes Street?
Correct, Eric, You are a Cayton lad did you go to school in Clayton
Old 06-01-2012, 15:16   #22
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
My Great-Aunt, Lucy Border (neè Croston) ran the laundry down in Clayton for a long time -it was on the left half way down Whallley Road from The Greyhound pub.
I don't remember that. I had a friend called Voll Croston lived in Henry st and had a school of motoring learner drivers.
Old 06-01-2012, 16:03   #23
God Member

Quote:
I don't remember that. I had a friend called Voll Croston lived in Henry st and had a school of motoring learner drivers.
Volney is my mum's cousin -his name comes through from a French second wife of my grandad's uncle (complicated!)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:10   #24
Beacon of light

my husband learned to drive with Volney....I believe his son Glenn, now runs the motoring school.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 19:04   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sounds a bit like what I did claytonx, only we bought second hand furniture (people did that in those days, now everything has to be new) the inlaws bought the 3 piece suite, my parents fitted carpets and a new twin tub washer (do they still make them) Ya the good old days
Same here,only new thing was a Gas Cooker,wouldn't risk a second hand un.
Old 06-01-2012, 19:05   #26
God Member

Quote:
Correct, Eric, You are a Cayton lad did you go to school in Clayton
Yup ... All Saints ... left in '57 for Accy Grammar .... there were others from down Lower Barnes St. going at the same time I was ... David Bartram, Raymond Pye, Rodney Howard ... and probably a couple more that have slipped my memory. I lived up Rishton Road, past the old paint works, at the bottom of Charles St., near the gate and the stile to Ringstonhalgh Farm ... don't know if that's the correct spelling (and I don't think spellcheck would help), but a family called Swale had it. Used to get milk from them, dipped out fresh ... always remember the horse used to like to take a dump outside our house How did I ever survive without health controls on how milk was processed and sold.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 20:28   #27
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Volney is my mum's cousin -his name comes through from a French second wife of my grandad's uncle (complicated!)
That has sorted how he got that name very unusual name,he also had a friend called Jack
Lightbrown another driving instructor,they both worked at Huncoat Pit while they were getting there schools started. Small World
Old 06-01-2012, 20:45   #28
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yup ... All Saints ... left in '57 for Accy Grammar .... there were others from down Lower Barnes St. going at the same time I was ... David Bartram, Raymond Pye, Rodney Howard ... and probably a couple more that have slipped my memory. I lived up Rishton Road, past the old paint works, at the bottom of Charles St., near the gate and the stile to Ringstonhalgh Farm ... don't know if that's the correct spelling (and I don't think spellcheck would help), but a family called Swale had it. Used to get milk from them, dipped out fresh ... always remember the horse used to like to take a dump outside our house How did I ever survive without health controls on how milk was processed and sold.
You are quite a lot younger than me.The year you left was Jim Bradshaw still Headmaster
he taught me at Mount Pleasant but I left 1950 I was getting married the year you left All Saints 1957 that makes me 77 in July.I thought you might have known some of the Howsen girls they lived at 1 Alexander st.
I lived at 71 Barnes st and when married accross the road at 74
The photo on the post Harry Boyle has quite a few bottom enders on I am the smallest stood next to the teacher (the Billy Bremner of the day)have a look you might reconise someone,two lads stood at the back far end are from below the bridge

Roy Smethurst
Old 07-01-2012, 19:19   #29

Jim Bradshaw was still headmaster at All Saints when I left in 1968.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 23:28   #30

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;960403]
Biscuits.......if you wanted a pound of mixed biscuits you chose the ones you liked from the glass lidded tins....the grocery assistant would pick them out and put them in a paper bag. The name Huntley and Palmers springs to mind.
My dad was an apprentice grocer (his words) at Redmans in Accrington,he then moved to Duckworth`s,got married,bought a house up Dowry St.Not long after,dad bought a shop in Haslingden.I was born above the shop(1952),the biscuit comment Margaret, was so true,those glass lidded tins were a feature in dads shop, I will never forget that.What I also remember strongly was dad buying a freezer,it was very much the new thing to sell frozen food,tv dinners and frozen peas!
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..