Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 00:39   #31

Re: Buying stuff way back!!! How things have changed!!!

I remember when Mum and Dad had to run a tab at the grocers around the corner. Bet that doesn't happen anymore!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2012, 09:19   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I had a good wage John as a underground mechanic at Huncoat Pit and could make my own overtime.While my wife worked at Clayton laundry and had a good wage.Mortgage was £4.25 per month,no car, no telephone,no tv very little outgoing expence.
Ya I seem to remember our mortgage was about a fiver a month, think we paid something like £1,100 for the house,(hell my granddaughter paid about £115 grand for her house) I had a quite well paid job and so did the wife, but she soon had to finish work (because thats why I have a granddaughter now) think the same house has been sold quite resently for £96 grand, the good old days hey
Old 08-01-2012, 09:22   #33
Resting in Peace

[quote=Stevie R;961001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Biscuits.......if you wanted a pound of mixed biscuits you chose the ones you liked from the glass lidded tins....the grocery assistant would pick them out and put them in a paper bag. The name Huntley and Palmers springs to mind.
My dad was an apprentice grocer (his words) at Redmans in Accrington,he then moved to Duckworth`s,got married,bought a house up Dowry St.Not long after,dad bought a shop in Haslingden.I was born above the shop(1952),the biscuit comment Margaret, was so true,those glass lidded tins were a feature in dads shop, I will never forget that.What I also remember strongly was dad buying a freezer,it was very much the new thing to sell frozen food,tv dinners and frozen peas!
Remember going down Accy on a Saturday Morning with my Mum and went to the biscuit stall to see if they had a bag of broken biscuits, it was first come first served
Old 08-01-2012, 09:25   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
I remember when Mum and Dad had to run a tab at the grocers around the corner. Bet that doesn't happen anymore!
Ya a lot of shops had signs up saying Please don't ask for credit as refusal sometimes offends, my mate had a different slant on it please don't ask for credit as a smack in the mouth might offend
Old 08-01-2012, 11:48   #35
Rest in Peace

If you went to put petrol in your car and pay cash(no cards in them days) they would usually knock the odd pence off.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 14:39   #36
God Member

I remember mum collecting Green Shield Stamps when i was little but I don't know what they were for.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 14:58   #37
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I remember mum collecting Green Shield Stamps when i was little but I don't know what they were for.
Shops bought Green Shield Stamps and gave them away to customers for buying at their shop and to tempt them to come back.You saved the stamps in books provided and you were also given at the time a catalogue with gifts in,when you had enough books filled you could exchange them for gifts to that value either by post, or there was a shop at Blackpool where you could go and choose there.

Good explanation or not?

Last edited by claytonx; 08-01-2012 at 15:01.
Old 08-01-2012, 15:11   #38
God Member

Quote:
Shops bought Green Shield Stamps and gave them away to customers for buying at their shop and to tempt them to come back.You saved the stamps in books provided and you were also given at the time a catalogue with gifts in,when you had enough books filled you could exchange them for gifts to that value either by post, or there was a shop at Blackpool where you could go and choose there.

Good explanation or not?
Great explanation - now you mention them I remember the catalogues too. A sort of early "supermarket points" system for faithful clients.

Mum used to smoke back then and I vaguely remember some Embassy coupons too...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 15:22   #39

[QUOTE=claytonx;961072]Shops bought Green Shield Stamps and gave them away to customers for buying at their shop and to tempt them to come back.You saved the stamps in books provided and you were also given at the time a catalogue with gifts in,when you had enough books filled you could exchange them for gifts to that value either by post, or there was a shop at Blackpool where you could go and choose there

My firm I worked for sent me out to buy the christmas bottles of spirits for the works do,I spent £38 at Tesco and got treble stamps!!
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 15:29   #40
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Great explanation - now you mention them I remember the catalogues too. A sort of early "supermarket points" system for faithful clients.

Mum used to smoke back then and I vaguely remember some Embassy coupons too...
I now shame to say that my wife and me saved enough Embassy ciggy coupons to get a babys pram this was 1968/9 i've just asked my wife she says value about £40-£50 what a lot of cigs we must have smoked. I gave up after heart problems 2003.
Old 08-01-2012, 16:13   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Good explanation or not?
All the fitters at Shopfitters used to save Green Shield stamps, just think when you were filling up Bedford TK with about 50 gallons with quadruple stamps, I had dozens of books full of stamps, if I remember rightly swapped um for somat. Green Shield main office was in Edgware north London and there was a big store where you could trade um in
Old 08-01-2012, 16:15   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I now shame to say that my wife and me saved enough Embassy ciggy coupons to get a babys pram this was 1968/9 i've just asked my wife she says value about £40-£50 what a lot of cigs we must have smoked. I gave up after heart problems 2003.
Ya I used to smoke Embassy too claytonx, I gave up in 1978
Old 08-01-2012, 16:24   #43
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya I used to smoke Embassy too claytonx, I gave up in 1978
You would not have got many coupons then
Old 08-01-2012, 16:36   #44
God Member

Players No7 did coupons too - I got a suede jacket

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:15   #45

Kensitas coupons - my dad got lung cancer!
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..