Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 18:18   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: Buying stuff way back!!! How things have changed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Players No7 did coupons too - I got a suede jacket
Think you mean No 6 Margaret.

I've still got a couple of books of Green Shield stamps somewhere!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2012, 18:30   #47
Full Member+

I recall a popular green grocery cum fuiterers store at the junction of Broadway with Whalley Road. That was before Broadway was pedestrianised. I believe it was called Catlows and run as a family affair by two brothers.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 18:53   #48

First 'supermarket' I went in was Tescos on Union St. I seem to remember a bit of chaos - stack 'em hi sell 'em cheap?
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 19:13   #49
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
First 'supermarket' I went in was Tescos on Union St. I seem to remember a bit of chaos - stack 'em hi sell 'em cheap?
Tesco had stores at either end of Union Street, long before they were the Tesco Chain that we know today.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 19:51   #50
Rest in Peace

A long long time ago when I went to school most of us boys and girls wore clogs. Boys clogs had irons on the bottom,girls had rubber pieces,It was great to run down the street and make sparks from the irons,but also helped to wear them away.
You could go to the Co-op shoe shop and buy new irons for 1 shilling and fit them youself or your dad,but the best way was to go into the cloggers no appointment just straight in after school and hope no one had got there before you, or then you had to sit on a wooden form and wait your turn which cut down playing out time.
When it was your turn he always asked your name,and then he got the last (which is a metal form to put the clogs on) between his knees took your clogs one at a time pulled the old broken irons off then he would knock little wooden sticks in to the old nail holes before fitting the new irons,and he would do the same with the heels,about 20 minutes work.
He would make you put the clogs on and jump up and down,then he wrote the money to pay on a piece of paper and sealed it up so you could not see the cost, until you got to the counter in the shop to pay,the lady would say how much it was to pay,if you had not enough she would write a note to give to your mum to pay later.
When I grew older I remember asking my dad about why the clogger always asked your name,he said that the clogger new nearly everyone in the top end of Clayton and who were the poor familys thats why he sealed the prices to hide the different charges that he made.

You could not get away with that now. And I'm told things have got better?
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 20:35   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I recall a popular green grocery cum fuiterers store at the junction of Broadway with Whalley Road. That was before Broadway was pedestrianised. I believe it was called Catlows and run as a family affair by two brothers.
Correct, and before that the Catlows fruit & veg was at the bottom of Infant St at its junction with Peel St, in an old wooden building.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 22:37   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Correct, and before that the Catlows fruit & veg was at the bottom of Infant St at its junction with Peel St, in an old wooden building.
Retlaw.
So yeh learnt me summat there walter, can remember the Fruit @ Veg in the Green painted wooden building bottom of Infant St, but never knew twas Catlows, cheers fer that un.
Old 08-01-2012, 22:55   #53
Beacon of light

Yes there was a stall in there selling dress materials too...can't for the life of me think of the name of it though.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
You would not have got many coupons then
No it was back in the late 50s and 60s that coupons were in their prime, can't remember why they stopped including coupons though,
Old 09-01-2012, 09:54   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Kensitas coupons - my dad got lung cancer!
Think they were the first to include coupons if I remember rightly
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18   #56
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes there was a stall in there selling dress materials too...can't for the life of me think of the name of it though.
You know Margaret I seem to remember wooden tables in there with bric-a-brac and small tools and bits of stuff you might find at a car boot sale.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No it was back in the late 50s and 60s that coupons were in their prime, can't remember why they stopped including coupons though,
Could have been inflation. Do you remember when that guy had saved up enough books to get a Ford Cortina and when he went to claim it he found out it had gone up by hundreds of books!!!!! Long walk home with wheelbarrows full of Green Shield Stamps!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37   #58
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
A long long time ago when I went to school most of us boys and girls wore clogs. Boys clogs had irons on the bottom,girls had rubber pieces,It was great to run down the street and make sparks from the irons,but also helped to wear them away.
You could go to the Co-op shoe shop and buy new irons for 1 shilling and fit them youself or your dad,but the best way was to go into the cloggers no appointment just straight in after school and hope no one had got there before you, or then you had to sit on a wooden form and wait your turn which cut down playing out time.
When it was your turn he always asked your name,and then he got the last (which is a metal form to put the clogs on) between his knees took your clogs one at a time pulled the old broken irons off then he would knock little wooden sticks in to the old nail holes before fitting the new irons,and he would do the same with the heels,about 20 minutes work.
He would make you put the clogs on and jump up and down,then he wrote the money to pay on a piece of paper and sealed it up so you could not see the cost, until you got to the counter in the shop to pay,the lady would say how much it was to pay,if you had not enough she would write a note to give to your mum to pay later.
When I grew older I remember asking my dad about why the clogger always asked your name,he said that the clogger new nearly everyone in the top end of Clayton and who were the poor familys thats why he sealed the prices to hide the different charges that he made.

You could not get away with that now. And I'm told things have got better?
I remember buying ribbed clogs from a shop on Blackburn road Army and Navy shop. These clogs were made ribbed or a corrugated type of leather. We wore these down the pit at Huncoat. I remember getting up at 04.30 in the morning to get ready. My mam had put up my bait the night before. If I was lucky I would get 1 egg or potted beef spread on 8 slices of bread. We saved up green shield stamps. I think it worked out you had to spend so many pounds to fill 1 book. Proud as hell I managed to save for a flask to take my tea in. First day taking it to work, Broke it getting off the train at Huncoat station. Heart broken. Never even tasted the tea.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..