Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2006, 15:20   #1

Bygone Petrol Prices

Just thinking the other day about how I remember the shock of Petrol breaking the £1 per gallon barrier... and now it's £1 per LITRE!!!

Which explains why they switched to pricing it in litres I suppose.

Last edited by semihere; 14-08-2006 at 15:21. Reason: Typo
semihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2006, 20:20   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Bygone Petrol Prices

I can remember my dad saying he would get rid of his car when petrol went up to five bob a gallon........he never did but he complained endlessly about being held to ransom over fags and petrol.......and later on in his life booze,he cursed the chancellor every budget day....but carried on paying the prices. I am glad he has gone to the great motorway in the sky.....Lord knows what he would make of the current prices!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 21:03   #3
God Member

take a look at pipelinecard.org joined myself but its slowly taking off
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 11:19   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

inflation = a trap we are all snared in and can do sod all about it, only whinge.
Old 15-08-2006, 11:49   #5

I've considered LPG conversion but I don't do the mileage which would make it worthwhile unless I keep my car for longer than normal and also the price of approx 39p per litre is of course dependent on the government not deciding to raise the TAX on it. I had a look at a Prius last time I changed but unless you learn how to drive them so that they mainly run off the batteries they aren't that much of a frugal machine especially when you consider the rising electricity prices.

When at college I worked at a petrol station part time and iirc the price worked out to around 40p per litre.
Old 15-08-2006, 13:04   #6

Thanks Cherokee, I have just joined that Pipeline - I have heard about it but never registered. What harm can it do to sign up, it could come to something one day. I do over 20k miles a year, and over the last 12 months have spent 4 grand on fuel alone. I am looking at renting a place closer to work, which means leaving good ol' Accy Maybe Pipeline will help me?
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 14:15   #7
God Member

Dunno how you cope going round the M60 kisser, that bit of it drives me crackers.
Anybody got any old accy photographs with petrol prices on them? It's not something that you think of including in a pic is it. I try to avoid taking people or cars unless they are relevant to the picture but I suppose it will date it in the future and make it more interesting.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 14:53   #8
God Member

Where do you work Kisser? also if you do that sort of mileage the LPG is for you. I work in Knutsford and have been on LPG for over 5 years( 3rd car now). I run a Volvo V70 2.5 Turbo, get 22/3 to a gallon on gas at 40p/litre, thats alos sitting at Ahem mph most of the way there. I could probably get another 2-3 if I slowed down a bit.

Shout if you want more info

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 15:21   #9

I work in North Wales, just on the border at the Airbus factory in Broughton. It's about 70 miles each way for me, drives me potty. I drive an MX-5 too (poser that I am) so I dont get many miles at all to the gallon. I keep thinking I should change my car really. I am giving serious consideration to renting in maybe Chester or something and come home at the weekends. Thanks for the info on the LPG though, and yes please send me more info on it. I dont really know what you mean to be honest
Old 15-08-2006, 19:57   #10
God Member

OK, brief tour of LPG

Your car is converted to run on gas instead of petrol, any petrol engine that can run on unleaded will run fine[1]. YOu get a tank in the boot/spare wheel well(which on yours is tiny so looks like a boot tank for you!) with a filler somewhere on teh car, I have mine on a bracket on the towbar so that I didn't have any holes cut in the body. Simply, as you start the engine it switches over to gas, you can switch back and forth at any time even whilst driving along. You tend to get slightly less mpg than on petrol, usually about 10% less but as opposed to 98.9/litre gas is about 40p so taking my example, I get 22 mpg on gas, but gas is only 40% of the. cost, so that means I get an effective 55mpg. So better than most diesels with the 200bhp turbo charged engine, volvo safety, leather and toys interior and a boot the size of a cave.

It costs in the region of £1700 for a top quality conversion. You can get cheaper kits but as with most things, you get what you pay for. Effectively it takes about 25K miles to get your cash back then its profit all teh way. Plus its environmentally friendly.

For an installer I can highly recommend Simon and Gary at Grange Lane garage (motorgas conversion) who have done my last 2 cars. They have been doing then for years now and really know their stuff.

Any questions please ask.

[1] Some vehicles with soft valve seats need a lubrication system called flashlube, not dear for the piece of mind it gives, I officially didn't need one but I put one on anyway as I want to get the far side of 300K on this car (160 and counting).

Old 15-08-2006, 21:11   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser
Thanks Cherokee, I have just joined that Pipeline - I have heard about it but never registered. What harm can it do to sign up, it could come to something one day. I do over 20k miles a year, and over the last 12 months have spent 4 grand on fuel alone. I am looking at renting a place closer to work, which means leaving good ol' Accy Maybe Pipeline will help me?
hope it takes off kisser would be handy to a lot of folk if it could but at moment its still in negotiation with many outlets and relies heavily on member quantity.. also why not try www.petrolprices.com it gives the cheapest stations in your area.so maybe handy also for the travelling you do ...good luck
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 17:41   #12

Thanks for your help entwisi and it is certainly something to consider, although I do probably between 20-24k miles a year and rarely keep my cars for longer than 2 years! Also my boot space is very limited with it being a sports car, and I work away a lot meaning I constantly have a big suitcase in the boot. I think what I probably need to do is get a more fuel efficient car and keep it for longer than a couple of years (I get bored!!), and just hope that fuel prices dont raise too much more over the next few years. Or get a job in Accy
Old 16-08-2006, 17:51   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser
and just hope that fuel prices dont raise too much more over the next few years. Or get a job in Accy
Just heard on Radio that Tesco are reducing their prices this evening and Asda tomorrow. Think only 1p. per litre (sorry only half-listening) .. every little helps though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 21:46   #14
God Member

The price of petrol varies so much countrywide. A workmate drove to Cornwall last week and couldnt belive that petrol was cheaper there than in Grangemouth with its refinery. Gordie Brown must love it when the price of fuel rises so high because of the money he gets in tax. As to wether the tax on LPG for cars will increase well yes it will as the more popular it becomes the more likely a tax rise will appear. Just look at deisel as an example because as more people started running deisel cars the tax and price went up yet at one time it was about 12% cheaper than petrol.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 06:33   #15
God Member

Spuggie, The Gubment have signed up to EU jurisdiction(for next 3-4 years IIRC) that says they can't increase the tax on LPG any higher PA than they increase petrol. so if Petrol goes up 1p then thats all LPG can go up. plus there is a scam that some people use in that the LPG you buy for heating can't have any tax imposed yet is exactly the same stuff, one home pump later and you have your own mini filling station

So irrelevant of how many take it up its still going to be cheap.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..