Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 00:52   #1

Can anyone help?

I lived in Accrington from around 1982-84, I moved there from Milton Keynes. While in Milton Keynes I left home and moved into some digs met a Guy Called Andy Farrell... He announced one day that he was off to visit his Mum, she lived in Church Accrington, would I like to come? me and Andy were firm friends and I agreed! hell yeah! We Hitchihicked... I had never at that point realised you could do that...
And so to Accrington on a thumb and a lift.... Milton Keynes is (was) a new city and to be frank its crap. Accrington on the other hand was very new (to me at 19 years old) Took my CB radio (his Mum lived on Ormerod Street) and I met a lass on the CB... Long story... I nearly married "Barn Owl" CB sign, only found out later that acutally (because I was a daft deaf southerner) that he call sign Was "Bono" of U2 lol. Her Name is Anne Seymour... After about a year and a half we parted (as young people do) I found out that my (Birth) Mother now lived in Pontefract,, I know this is really protracted tale, but after the split I decided to go and find her.. as I was in the north. I eventually moved to Pontefract (another Vibrant northern town) and married a Lady there (Debbie Braime)... but that was a long time ago... Lol Im really emptying my brain here... We werent married for very long and have long since divorced, whole relationship lasted about a year... including the marraige.
Now heres the thing, I used to come back to Accrington while I was between there and pontefract to visit mates i had made. I used to love the Blockade on Union Street, and used to stop at my mates Andy Mums house on the odd visit. One night leaving the Blockade and heading unsteadingly towards Church I met a group of three lasses that started giving me some grief... I have no idea why, however one of them (and forgive me I cannot recal your name) split from the group and hooked her arm with my arm.. she came "home" with me... I met her maybe on two occasions after that, on the last occasion I gave her my address in Pontefract. During this time I had started the relationship with my then to be wife Debbie.

Heres the thing one day a letter arrived, post marked Accrington, Hand written Address, Im sure it was the Lady that I had met that had wrote to me and fearing repercussions from my new girl friend I snatched it up lest my new partner saw it and destroyed it... I never even read it. Now some 30 years later I would love to know what she wrote.... Silly arse I know... Whoever you were I know that you were bloody pretty and... you really liked the 18 year old me (now 49). Im sorry I never read your letter, and regret not reading it. I hope you are well and that life is treating you as you deserve, I have never forgotten you, you were (and still are) on my mind. If only for a time machine.

There thats nostagia. I loved Accrington amazing town. Sent from Heckmonwike West Yorks. I never returned south

Last edited by Mick; 01-09-2013 at 06:10. Reason: language deleted
Pete Sapwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Can anyone help?

This has promise for an aspiring paperback writer.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58   #3
Beacon of light

Re: Can anyone help?

Pete.....welcome to the forum. I wish I could help you in your search.....alas I can't, but as Bob says, that would make a mighty fine read. I'd buy it...and I'm not much on romantic novels.

If fate wanted you to be in touch(if you believe in fate) then it would engineer(in some way) for that to happen.

I hope you find the answers, but if not, you will find a lively time on here.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..