Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 00:16   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Childhood games...

Haunted House board game.

THE COBWEBBED ROOM: DENYS FISHER HAUNTED HOUSE board game 1970's

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2012, 10:14   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Has anyone ever told you, you can be a right pain in the....
what do you mean CAN BE
Old 11-03-2012, 10:16   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's the one -we didn't have it either. A neighbouring family had it and a game called Buckaroo and Operation where you had to lift little bones out without making it buzz!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 11-03-2012 at 10:24.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:18   #34
God Member

Quote:
Wonderful games -I wonder where they all ended up...probably sold on at a jumble sale...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
what do you mean CAN BE
My years in the diplomatic service Jay

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-03-2012, 10:23   #36
God Member

Does anyone remember the game Beetle where you had to throw a dice and build up a plastic beetle -you got a piece every time you threw a six. Beetle drives were very popular once over. I tried to find this game for my son's when they were little but they didn't make it like that anymore -only with cards and you made up a beetle that way. Took quite a lot of doing i remember, all those fiddly legs to stick in!

Think it was a Spear's games original...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-03-2012, 10:37   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Does anyone remember the game Beetle where you had to throw a dice and build up a plastic beetle -you got a piece every time you threw a six. Beetle drives were very popular once over. I tried to find this game for my son's when they were little but they didn't make it like that anymore -only with cards and you made up a beetle that way. Took quite a lot of doing i remember, all those fiddly legs to stick in!

Think it was a Spear's games original...
Yes, we had one.

Just the same as the beetle drive game, except you made, rather than drew the beetle.

I went to a beetle drive at a friend's church, and won first prize of a squirble.

Which I mentioned on this thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ves-28908.html

Old 11-03-2012, 10:44   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes, we had one.

Just the same as the beetle drive game, except you made, rather than drew the beetle.

I went to a beetle drive at a friend's church, and won first prize of a squirble.

Squirmles!

Not squirbles.

Nowstalgic Toys | The Original Squirmle | Magic Pet | Magic Worm | The Magical Pet| Magic Twisty | Wurli Worm | Ball Wizard | Squirmles

SQUIRMLES/THE OFFICIAL SQUIRMLES WEBSITE/SQUIRMLES MAGICAL PETS/SQUIRMELS/SQUIRMLE/MAGIC WIGGLEE WORM/WIGGLEE WORMS/MAGIC TWISTY/WURLI WURMW

Was a rubbish prize.

They weren't really alive.

Should have gone for the bottle of sherry.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:53   #39
God Member

During the few years I was doing the school run and making the tea for my three primary school grandchildren, I was entrusted with the care of a Tamagotchi which was accidentaly left with me over a weekend.

Tamagotchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My young grandson gave me instruction over the phone and I fed and shovelled crap for the little blighter for two days. I know he had an irrational devotion to that little gadget, and I didn't realise that, if neglected, it just 'died' but would 'live again'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 13:43   #40
God Member

Oooh, lucky you!

I never had a squirmel -i did however have a Slinky

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-03-2012, 13:48   #41
God Member

Quote:
Yes, we had one.

Read your description of the game -had forgotten that each piece had to be won by throwing a different number...

It was a great party favourite with us.
Along with musical chairs, blind man's buff and "all pile on"!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-03-2012, 13:54   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

What a load of boring crappy games, Proper games were Nick,Nack, but first balancing n empty bottle of milk on the Door Handle n then leg it n peep from around the corner, yeh never lived. Was even better in the Pea Soup Fog we used to get, Yeh could stand about15ft away n laugh when front door opened n yeh could see em in the light, the faces when the bottle smashed in front of em lol

Last edited by cashman; 11-03-2012 at 14:01.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:52   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Proper games were Nick,Nack,
Was i called that, because once you were nicked, you realised you were knacked?

Old 11-03-2012, 18:49   #44
Beacon of light

Outside games were:- whip and top(tops decorated with coloured chalk if you 6d to spare)......skipping games, cowboys and Indians...goodies and baddies......we made dens, played in the streams, caught sticklebacks, brought home hedgehogs which were banished from the house because they had fleas and red mites......hula hoops...hide and seek.....Knock and run, Swing from the lampost(or tree).

Inside games:- paper planes, thrown from the top of the stairs, hunt the thimble.....the usual board games.....except we usually were negligent in taking care of the dice, could never find one.

We didn't have the beetle game(a friend of mine did though) but played a game called kipper....a large fish shape was torn from a newspaper and another newspaper was used to make the fish move by hitting it with another rolled up newspaper...... we had races.......there was much cheating and falling out......Ma would rush in gather up the fish, hit us with the rolled up newspaper and throw the whole lot on the fireback.......game over!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 01:32   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What a load of boring crappy games, Proper games were Nick,Nack, but first balancing n empty bottle of milk on the Door Handle n then leg it n peep from around the corner, yeh never lived. Was even better in the Pea Soup Fog we used to get, Yeh could stand about15ft away n laugh when front door opened n yeh could see em in the light, the faces when the bottle smashed in front of em lol
I always knew you were a vandal!!!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..