Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2012, 06:42   #46
God Member

Re: Childhood games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What a load of boring crappy games, Proper games were Nick,Nack, but first balancing n empty bottle of milk on the Door Handle n then leg it n peep from around the corner, yeh never lived. Was even better in the Pea Soup Fog we used to get, Yeh could stand about15ft away n laugh when front door opened n yeh could see em in the light, the faces when the bottle smashed in front of em lol
We found out where one of the most hated dinner ladies at school lived, me my friend Charlotte and my sister Denise -we all lived in terror of her and ate up our greens.

Went round playing nick-nack (without bottle as not vandals!) and when we got Knacked about the fifth time in one evening she turned out to be really nice and gave us all sweets...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2012, 07:02   #47
Give, give, give member

I'd forgotten about the fish game, until Marg P. mentioned it.

We used to play it at Sunday school Christmas parties, in teams.

Probably about four, with each team wafting a plaice made from brightly coloured tissue paper, along a course.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 10:42   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What a load of boring crappy games, Proper games were Nick,Nack, but first balancing n empty bottle of milk on the Door Handle n then leg it n peep from around the corner, yeh never lived. Was even better in the Pea Soup Fog we used to get, Yeh could stand about15ft away n laugh when front door opened n yeh could see em in the light, the faces when the bottle smashed in front of em lol
We used to play this but not with a milk bottle we always picked the houses with young guys who'd come out and chase us - then we'd out run them, that was the buzz!

Marbles was another game I recall playing a lot, we loved our colored marbles and sometimes ball bearings played it a lot at junior school.

Last edited by kestrelx; 13-03-2012 at 10:48.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 10:53   #49
Beacon of light

Hopscotch too...we played that. Didn't need anything other that the pavement and a bit of a stone(which was used to write the numbers on the flags and as a marker).
Two balls as well...up against the wall......must admit, wasn't much good at this game.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 11:17   #50
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Hopscotch too...we played that. Didn't need anything other that the pavement and a bit of a stone(which was used to write the numbers on the flags and as a marker).
Two balls as well...up against the wall......must admit, wasn't much good at this game.
Glad someone else was as useless at two balls as I was!
Old 13-03-2012, 12:01   #51
Beacon of light

They used to shout to me at games 'get a bucket' or 'ask your Ma to stitch the hole in your hands'....I was useless at sport, but maybe it was because I didn't like it.......any of it. It all seemed a bit pointless to me.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:31   #52
God Member

We used to play Elastics for hours on end -in theory needed three to play but if one was missing a pair of chair legs would do instead. Can't for the life of me remember all the moves but some you had to land on the elastic in some and others inside or outside of it -must ask my best friend she was the real elastics fiend! I think you had to jump in to start and it was ankle height, then knee height and slowly got higher!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-03-2012, 11:02   #53
Beacon of light

I can remember 'Elastics' being played, but I think this might have been when my daughter was growing up....I don't remember playing it.
We used to play five stones too(also called jacks)....we didn't buy the metal jacks but used five small stones and a little rubber ball........I was rubbish at that game too.......anything to do with balls.
Old 14-03-2012, 12:20   #54
God Member

Have always been good at ball games myself. Tennis, rounders, netball and table-tennis. it's all to do with hand to eye coordination.
We used to play a game called Cannon at school that was very popular -a team game but with a ball. Had to build up your teams cannon made of three little sticks -bit like a wicket i suppose but the opposing team got you out if they hit you with the ball -a tennis ball.

Just remembered another one, used to put a tennis ball in a sock or stocking and knock it on the wall behind you (back to the wall) while singing rhymes and bashing the ball about over you shoulders, between legs etc -now what on earth was that called?!

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..