Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 22:26   #1
God Member

Childhood games...

Tried to think back this evening to what were the first games I remember playing.

Nursery school:little white clay pipes for blowing bubbles.

Primary school: Wendy house, where there was a load of plastic fruit and veg. also a till, like in a shop, in pounds, shillings and pence with plastic money.

Fuzzy felt - special board (pale blue or green) and coloured felt pieces for making pictures -especially liked the cats, dogs and flowers.

Plasticene on a board with a litle rolling pin and plastic knife.

What are the earliest games you can remember...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2012, 23:47   #3
Resting In Peace

Re: Childhood games...

Whip and top, skipping rope. Both of these used to keep me occupied for hours.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 00:05   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Snap.
Old 10-03-2012, 00:38   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
what was that card game where you had to get rid of an old woman,you just kept passing her on? Loser has the card at the end of the game
Old maid
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Old maid

Thanks Sue that`s right.
Games night for us when we were kids was usually Sunday night.Snakes and ladders,chinese checkers,Monopoly,but we had a fold away table with a green baize top-Mum`s card table,rummy,whist,Cashy`s game Snap,we couldn`t wait to play,seemed such happy times.....
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25   #8
Senior Member+

Outside it was tinny, hide and seek, marbles, inside escalado, rummy, dominoes, we also used to make rag carpets.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20   #9
white rabbits

i remember all those games...you got the clay pipes from the tobacconists,,,
i remember my dad making a game called Bagatelle for xmas,,we had hours of fun with that
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41   #10
Resting in Peace

Find the lady, then it graduated to Poker
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Thanks Sue that`s right.
Games night for us when we were kids was usually Sunday night.Snakes and ladders,chinese checkers,Monopoly,but we had a fold away table with a green baize top-Mum`s card table,rummy,whist,Cashy`s game Snap,we couldn`t wait to play,seemed such happy times.....
Sunday night was cards night in our house too - but for my parents not us! They used to play bridge with a couple of neighbours every week. Wonder how many households these days have a card table?

We did play cards as a family usually at Christmas, Newmarket was a favourite. And we had Chinese checkers, I do remember that, and snakes and ladders and happy families.
Old 10-03-2012, 14:50   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Sunday night was cards night in our house too - but for my parents not us! They used to play bridge with a couple of neighbours every week. Wonder how many households these days have a card table?

We did play cards as a family usually at Christmas, Newmarket was a favourite. And we had Chinese checkers, I do remember that, and snakes and ladders and happy families.
On the same theme susie, I wonder if anybody still plays games like Monopoly, Cluedo and other Waddington Games, then there's chess (not my game unfortunately) draughts even good old dominoes, anybody still got a cribbage board, not to mention a dart board
Old 10-03-2012, 14:52   #13
God Member

Whip and top was definitely out of fashion when i was little. I do remember getting a bagatelle for one xmas and playing Tiddlywinks too.

Lots of card games too.
Had a good game called "Hand's Down" which was a seventies thing and we used to pley Kerplunk too, as well as the usual Monopoly and Cluedo.
Used to play a lot of Draughts with my Grandad too but he was a terrible cheat!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:12   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
On the same theme susie, I wonder if anybody still plays games like Monopoly, Cluedo and other Waddington Games, then there's chess (not my game unfortunately) draughts even good old dominoes, anybody still got a cribbage board, not to mention a dart board
My other half still plays dominoes and crib for pub teams when he gets the chance. We don't play at home as I'm not keen, was put off all cards etc especially bridge as my parents were such fanatics. They put me off smoking too for similar reasons - no bad thing!

My brother used to play chess at county level once upon a time.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:21   #15
God Member

At my son's house Monopoly, chess and scrabble are played fairly often.
My stepgrandaughter was a little piqued when I beat her at Scrabble.
I recently donated my boxed Backgammon set to them (I have no-one to play it with)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..