Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2011, 00:54   #1
God Member

Chinese restaurants in Accrington

OK , jumping over from the first kebab shop , what was the first Chinese restaurant (sit-down place,waiter service , not take away ) in Accy , I'm thinking it was the place on Church st ? (between the Commercial and the Bridge on the opposite side) across from the Arcade entrance , thinking mid/late 60s you could get a 3 course evening meal for 4/- (four shillings) per person , expensive place to impress a date when you were an apprentice on £4 a week , anyone remember the name

going back to the days when you could get a 'smart' suit from Burtons opposite the Market Hall for £7 paid off at 8/- a week
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2011, 07:04   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Chinese restaurants in Accrington

I thought that the one that was on Blackburn Road as you are going out of Accy on the right, just before you get to the viaduct was possibly the first (next to the then Gibson's Sports) ? Can't remember what they were called either.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:17   #3
Super Moderator

I reckon Kate's right. Definitely remember going in the one on Blackburn Road, next to Gibson's in '66/'67 for the cheap lunchtime menu.
Old 23-06-2011, 08:19   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The one on Blackburn Rd i reckon, was called The King Wah, used to use pretty regular, they got prosecuted after a few years, "Cats" were found in fridge, twas in the observer at the time, assume they were selling em as chicken, if so they sure tasted ok. after then it changed ownership n name and became the "Sun Wah" which never seemed to do as well, suppose the reason is obvious?
Old 23-06-2011, 08:34   #5
Resting in Peace

LOL, Cashy, will have to give you karma for that one .. you are such a mind of information, with a phenomenal memory ..x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:43   #6
Resting in Peace

I remember going to that restaurant for my mates 12th birthday that's about 53 years ago
Old 23-06-2011, 08:52   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember going to that restaurant for my mates 12th birthday that's about 53 years ago
So it was a Chinese restaurant in 1958, Jay? Must admit, you've surprised me there, as I didn't think Chinese cuisine had arrived in Accy back then.
Old 23-06-2011, 09:07   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So it was a Chinese restaurant in 1958, Jay? Must admit, you've surprised me there, as I didn't think Chinese cuisine had arrived in Accy back then.
well twas defo yon early 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
LOL, Cashy, will have to give you karma for that one .. you are such a mind of information, with a phenomenal memory ..x
kate if yeh think thats funny, when it became the Sun Wah, have a tale that'll really crack yeh up, but yeh will have to ask me next time we meet, sure aint posting this one.
Old 23-06-2011, 09:17   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
kate if yeh think thats funny, when it became the Sun Wah, have a tale that'll really crack yeh up, but yeh will have to ask me next time we meet, sure aint posting this one.
...and me too, please!
Old 23-06-2011, 09:29   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well the reason I remember it Wyn is that it was actually a novelty in those days and when we went along we could understand why the owner a big fat chap was sat at a table near the serving door keeping his beady eyes on us, until my mates mum told us she asked in to watch use when she arranged the meal for us and ya it was defo is 12 birthday. Incidentally the first Chinese in the area was actually in Ossy, opposite what was then Foxhill grove Methodists church, it wasn't a Chinese as such it was an ordinary fish and chip shop, the owner was called Chan and he had an English wife, the only chinese they sold was curry sauce, which was novel in those days
Old 23-06-2011, 09:48   #11
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Incidentally the first Chinese in the area was actually in Ossy, opposite what was then Foxhill grove Methodists church, it wasn't a Chinese as such it was an ordinary fish and chip shop, the owner was called Chan and he had an English wife, the only chinese they sold was curry sauce, which was novel in those days
I can remember that Jaysay . We used to go to the Palladium for 9d and call in that chippy for a bag of chips afterwards .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:50   #12
God Member

Was it not tins of cat food Cashie?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:52   #13
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The one on Blackburn Rd i reckon, was called The King Wah, used to use pretty regular, they got prosecuted after a few years, "Cats" were found in fridge,
Yuk ! Are you serious ? I used to go there in 1970 for 3 course dinner for 5 bob .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:54   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Was it not tins of cat food Cashie?
no roy twas defo cats. dont remember if twas 2 or 3 carcases skinned n hung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Yuk ! Are you serious ? I used to go there in 1970 for 3 course dinner for 5 bob .
perfectly serious can be checked in accy observer in public library. near sure would be the Sun Wah in 70 JCB, so yeh would be ok.

Last edited by cashman; 23-06-2011 at 09:59.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 10:04   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Ya those were the days JCB in fact Chinese restaurants did this all over the country (used them regularly when I worked for Shopfitters) think they called it Business mans lunch, you had a choice of soup, 3 main courses (one of which was Chinese) and choice of sweet, with coffee extra all for 5 bob as you said, those were the days

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..