Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2009, 23:11   #1

Chip shops near you (how many)

We lived on Pendle street from the mid 1950's so we were lucky to have the chippy owned by the Sutch's on the corner of Perth St. As I got older I remember getting closer and closer to being able to rest my elbows on the counter top! Does anyone remember Kens chippy, can't remember the street it was on but it was off Willows Lane just up from the church where the chapel of rest is now. He was the last shop to only sell fish, chips and mushy peas, no fancy things like pies! At their peck there was 5 chippy's within a 5 minute walk from our house. By the way we could only afford to use them on Friday night, pay night. One last thing, do you remember that one opposite the Accy baths. I thought they had the best chips in town!! I went in years later on the way home from having a pint and they couldn't have tasted worse!!!! Must have been all the chlorine in the baths water that made them taste good when I was a kid!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2009, 23:18   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Chip shops near you (how many)

nope was born in 78

but i do miss lister street chippy's chips
Old 14-05-2009, 23:18   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

chippys are few n far between these days up here, especially traditional ones, also many of those do not do suppers any more. was 4 within a 2 min walk from our house in 50s all good uns n all.
Old 15-05-2009, 07:37   #4

There were 5 in the top end of Clayton, from the canal on Whalley rd to the Grayhound. one next door to the top club. Then Hackings, Chans, Grimshaws on Blackburn rd, Pillings on Burnley rd. There were 4 Bakers as well,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 07:39   #5
Resting in Peace

There is no chippy in Accrington that can make them properly they are all greasy and undercooked.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 08:02   #6
Beacon of light

Mr Pilling who owned the chip shop in Burnley Rd, Clayton....is still trotting about.
He lost his dear wife about six months ago, but he is still going. He must be in his nineties now, but doesn't look it.
After selling the chippy he became the Groundsman at one of the big schools in Blackburn(St Marys I think) and in his spare time taught people to drive....this later became his main occupation....and he taught me to drive in !980....lovely man.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:28   #7

Ill let my mum & dad know hes still living Margaret, they are around the same age, his son played cricket for Enfield. Did you remember Dora befor Chan bought it, she had two sons, one was a hairdresser, for Bazagalupua ( dont know corect spelling )
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 10:17   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Does anyone remember Kens chippy, can't remember the street it was on but it was off Willows Lane just up from the church where the chapel of rest is now. He was the last shop to only sell fish, chips and mushy peas, no fancy things like pies!
It was Len's, corner of Ranger Street and Eden Street. When the history of Accy chippies comes to be written, this man will have a chapter all to himself. As you say, only fish, chips and peas, but fish, chips and peas to die for! I can taste 'em now!
Old 15-05-2009, 10:49   #9
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It was Len's, corner of Ranger Street and Eden Street. When the history of Accy chippies comes to be written, this man will have a chapter all to himself. As you say, only fish, chips and peas, but fish, chips and peas to die for! I can taste 'em now!
I can only ever remember two chippies the one across the road from were we lived on Church Street, Church; it was between Canal Street and Kershaw Street. I can remember going in and helping make chips by pulling the leaver on the chipper, it was a big black b***** that chipped one spud at a time.

The other was the one on the corner of Ormerod Street and Richmond Hill? Or was it Hope Street. The chippy was always a treat; chips and mushy peas in a bowl……can never remember us having fish or anything exotic like pies.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 10:55   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I can only ever remember two chippies the one across the road from were we lived on Church Street, Church; it was between Canal Street and Kershaw Street. I can remember going in and helping make chips by pulling the leaver on the chipper, it was a big black b***** that chipped one spud at a time.
Isn't that the chippy where the cat ended up in the deep fryer one friday night?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 11:35   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

The other was the one on the corner of Ormerod Street and Richmond Hill? Or was it Hope Street. The chippy was always a treat; chips and mushy peas in a bowl……can never remember us having fish or anything exotic like pies.
When I lived in Church there were two, both on Church Kirk Lane.
Mrs bush.......Thats the first one you mentioned and Mrs Kelly.....That was opposite the paper shop...........Fish Yes, Pies no.
If I remember.....Mixture and a fish 11P old money.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 11:45   #12
Beacon of light

I don't remember Dora's but my hubby does.
One of Mr Pillings sons now lives in the USA...he does come over and visit his dad quite a bit though.
Old 15-05-2009, 11:51   #13
Beacon of light

Mrs Mayor had the fish and chips shop at the old Band club end of Marsden St in Accrington.......they didn't do fancy stuff either.....fish and chips...mushy peas....hollands meat pies and puddings......and of course Hollands spud pies.
Pudding and a mixture was one and sixpence......and if my Ma was flush(which wasn't very often) she would send me for one for her supper on a friday night(and I used to pinch chips from under the paper(they always tasted better when they were pinched).

We also bought our vinegar from Mrs Mayor....you took your bottle and she filled it from a barrel in the back room...cost only a few pence....I used to drink some of the vinegar out of the bottle and fill it up at the horse trough that was on the back of Marsden St......Ma said she wouldn't buy it from Mrs Mayor anymore as she was watering it down to make more profit
Old 15-05-2009, 12:01   #14
God Member

filling up the vinegar from the horse trough?.....class Margaret!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 12:53   #15
Beacon of light

yes, I hadn't any in those days...class I mean.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..