Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2011, 10:41   #1
Resting in Peace

Cigarettes

Was watching one of the antiques programs yesterday and they showed cigarette cards, which got me thinking back to my youth, lots of lads in those days collected, not the cards but the actually packets, there were loads of them about in those days. Don't know what the situation is today because its over 30 years since I smoked.

I remember the popular brands in those days which were sold on size not strength, the most popular cheap ones were Woodbinds and Park Drive with Players, Senior Service, Capstan, even Capstan Full Strength the bigger ones, but there were loads on the market State Express 555 Sweet Afton, Balkan Sobranie (not sure of the spelling of some of these) of course filter tips didn't come on the market until around 1960.

Anybody remember other brands which were on the market in those days
Old 29-11-2011, 13:34   #2

Re: Cigarettes

I remember as a school kid going into the newsagents and saying: "Ten Number 6 please and a box of matches." I was tall for my age so had no problems getting my fags. Number 6 were made by Player's, who also made a smaller version called Number 10.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 14:59   #3

During the war, the only fags were usually Turkish brands.If anybody lit up in the cinema the stink was horrendous." Put that bloody fag out" shouted almost everyone in the place.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:08   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post

Anybody remember other brands which were on the market in those days
Craven A had a cork band at one end similar to some of today's filter tips. Not sure what the idea was unless it was to stop it sicking to your lips - which could hurt both lips and fingers
Old 29-11-2011, 15:10   #5
Member.

Don't forget "Black Cat" My frist where Woodbine in a five pack. Most of the family smoked Park Drive and Senior Service, but I can remember Embassey and Players No6 creeping in.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:38   #6
God Member

You're never alone with a Strand

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
During the war, the only fags were usually Turkish brands.If anybody lit up in the cinema the stink was horrendous." Put that bloody fag out" shouted almost everyone in the place.
My dad told me about these. I think they were called Pasha (not sure about the spelling). When cigarettes were in short supply, he also smoked tea leaves, although I am not sure if he was pulling my leg!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 19:01   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Craven A had a cork band at one end similar to some of today's filter tips. Not sure what the idea was unless it was to stop it sicking to your lips - which could hurt both lips and fingers
That's right Barrie was racking my brains and couldn't think of the name, think they were the first one to have filters, can remember one of the lads got a packet and we were trying them out on the old technical school playground in Ossy
Old 29-11-2011, 19:03   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You're never alone with a Strand

Hell Margaret that brings back memories, think they were the first ciggies to be advertised on TV
Old 29-11-2011, 19:05   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
My dad told me about these. I think they were called Pasha (not sure about the spelling). When cigarettes were in short supply, he also smoked tea leaves, although I am not sure if he was pulling my leg!
Camel were very similar Michael, like smoking arabs underpants
Old 29-11-2011, 19:07   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Don't forget "Black Cat" My first where Woodbine in a five pack. Most of the family smoked Park Drive and Senior Service, but I can remember Embassey and Players No6 creeping in.
Woodbines in those little paper packets, anybody remember the other ones that came in paper packets, but there were only four, Domino, cheap and nasty
Old 29-11-2011, 19:12   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Gold Leaf were ok if yeh were feeling posh.
Old 29-11-2011, 19:12   #13
Senior Member+

Remember when it was considered sexy to light two cigarettes at once,lean forward,gaze into her eyes and give her one( of the cigarettes!).
Trouble was, I didn't smoke, she did but didn't like smoking when I didn't so asked me to just hold a lit cigarette.
Lighting two cigarettes at once was a bit of a challenge for a non-smoker but I persisted-Greater love hath no man!
Now she lights her own.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 19:19   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Gold Leaf were ok if yeh were feeling posh.
Used to smoke um all the time cashy
Old 29-11-2011, 19:22   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Remember when it was considered sexy to light two cigarettes at once,lean forward,gaze into her eyes and give her one( of the cigarettes!).
Trouble was, I didn't smoke, she did but didn't like smoking when I didn't so asked me to just hold a lit cigarette.
Lighting two cigarettes at once was a bit of a challenge for a non-smoker but I persisted-Greater love hath no man!
Now she lights her own.
Ya Gordon I remember somebody once asked me if I smoked after making love, I just said I don't know I've never looked

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..