Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2012, 20:32   #1

Cock-O-Lumb

Anyone remember spending summer afternoons here? Was there a small shop here next to the stream? Is that how you spell it and is it still there?? Down Rams Clough Lane, half way down Broadfield just before you get to Haslingden Road.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2012, 21:34   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Cock-O-Lumb

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...61576-168.html

Follow the link, post number 2513, for a couple of snaps of cocker Lumb as it is now, I went up earlier in the year and was disappointed. Although to answer your question yes I was taken up as a child and it was always busy on sunny days.

Its very different now as I was challenged as to why I was taking pictures, even though I was on a public footpath, so I don't think people are invited to stay anymore.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 21:50   #3

remember it well as i was born at jackhouse farm, not too far away from cockerlumb, i spent a great deal of my childhood exploreing as we did in those days, the only shop so called was the tea gardens, cant remember the name of the place,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 22:33   #4
Senior Member+

I used to go up to Cock-o Lumb regularly when we were kids to eat ice creams and play in the stream
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 08:20   #5

It's pity that most kids today can't do some of the stuff we used to do back then. I used to explore the brooks & moors around Ossy from about the age of 6 with just a bunch of other kids. Great fun!
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 08:35   #6
Resting in Peace

Used to spend lots of time up yon, we even went on a nature trip from St Mary's Ossy, led by the now local historian Cliff Astin, who was my form teach at the time, just before The Holy Family (Mt Carmel) was\ opened in 59
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...61576-168.html

Follow the link, post number 2513, for a couple of snaps of cocker Lumb as it is now, I went up earlier in the year and was disappointed. Although to answer your question yes I was taken up as a child and it was always busy on sunny days.

Its very different now as I was challenged as to why I was taking pictures, even though I was on a public footpath, so I don't think people are invited to stay anymore.
Sad how all of the places I remember as a kid now seem to be more or less out of bounds or gone! Cock-O-Lumb, Preistly Clough, Black Rock! All of the factory lodges. Any more?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:02   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Sad how all of the places I remember as a kid now seem to be more or less out of bounds or gone! Cock-O-Lumb, Preistly Clough, Black Rock! All of the factory lodges. Any more?
I walk Priestly Clough on a regular basis, and it looks nothing like the place I used to roam around for the school holidays. I also walked the path up to black rock, gone are the tarmac paths, and what was once called black rock is not there anymore, it was bulldozed away and spoil tipped over the edge. I walked it up to Millerfold Avenue and it was a disappointment from start to finish.
I do however use paths that were not there as I played as a scruffy kid, Woodnook Vale, Mill Lane, Castle Clough, all contributions from the millennium fund, so perhaps they will be there when todays kids start to reminisce as wrinklies. (I refer to myself)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:35   #9
God Member

The correct name is Cocker Lumb.
I have early childhood memories of frequent visits to Cockerly farm in mid/late 40s.

The farmer was Billy Finch, who went on to be an LCC councillor, and who was a friend of my parents.

We went there in my dad's Austin 7 and I recall that we took a steep uphill left turn onto a cobbled road with a waterfall on the right.

When I look now on google maps I do not see the route I remember - no steep uphill section of road - no waterfall.

The waterfall did exist
Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Item

Unfortunately google maps does not follow the entire route to the farm, but from what I can see, the present landscape and access roads are not as I remember them.
Judith Addison likes this.

Last edited by MargaretR; 01-01-2013 at 20:40.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:49   #10

I was born at Cockerley farm in the fortys and now live only 1mile away ( as the crow flies)
Ice cream Eddie 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 20:31   #11

Ice cream eddie, did you concoct an a curry type icecream, in years gone by,
Old 12-04-2013, 13:51   #12

Yes,I was on telly with 'hot ice cream'.good fun.
janloot likes this.
Ice cream Eddie 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:37   #13

i remember you very well, i used to work for alec hindle, and stuart,i used to come down to the house you lived in opposite the plough, had a motor bike at the time, nick name bronc, at that time you had an old car wosley, cant spell it, a blue bedford van, memorys not as good these days,
Old 03-05-2013, 13:16   #14

Remember this so well, where me and my brothers grew up. Sadly just dcattered my oldest brothers shes there.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07   #15

Don't know about driving a vehicle, Margaret, but there is still a public right of way on foot through the farmyard at Gaulkthorn down to the brook where Fern Bridge and the waterfall are/were - I haven't been round for a long time. After crossing the book the path curves round two sides of a field to come out at Cockerley Fold Farm where Bill Finch lived.

Re Ramsclough Lane, the three cottages at the bottom are called Benjamin Row - apparently the tea room used to be there.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..