Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jinks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2005, 16:02   #1
resting in peace

Corner Blues

Does anybody remember a band called Corner Blues from the early 70's. They used to play ina club round Accy. The lead singer was Tom Robinsin (not THE Tom Robinson!), The Drummer was Kevin Florentine and Guitarists Ian Alvestone and Tony Jenkinson (Jinks).
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2005, 13:05   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Corner Blues

Ian Alveston still plays guitar - saw him in Ossy a year or so back, at a New Year's Eve bash that was almost empty because of the foul weather.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 13:14   #3

yeah i think i saw them a few years ago!!! ian used to play the acoustic club once a month in ossy!!! whether he still does is anyones guess!!
Old 22-02-2005, 14:06   #4
Super Moderator

They were actually called Korner Blues because they were named after the late, great Alexis Korner. Still see "Florrie" round town occasionally, don't know if he's drumming with anyone these days.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59   #5

I'm amazed that anyone remembers these things but Corner Blues did exist in the mid to late 60's I think and the 2/3 other members were Franny Daly on bass & Ernie Lee or Dave Tunnicliffe on harmonica. I lost touch with Tom 20 odd years ago and with Franny long before that. I see Kevin from time to time and have played with Ernie and Ian on and off over the years. Ernie now spends most of his time in France but Ian is still fairly active playing locally with scratch bands and also accoustically and incidentally writing lots of good stuff. I still play when the opportunity arises but there aren't too many places these days.

Hope this may be of interest.

Tony Jenkinson
anthnbul likes this.
Jinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:20   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yeh shouldn't be amazed anyone remembers Jinks, i can't remember what i had fer tea yesterday, but "Music" n groups of that era, now thats summat else.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:02   #7
Super Moderator

Think Dave Tunnicliffe lives out Whalley way these days. His younger brother, Keith, occasionally posts on here under the user name Tunny.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:51   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks View Post
I'm amazed that anyone remembers these things but Corner Blues did exist in the mid to late 60's I think and the 2/3 other members were Franny Daly on bass & Ernie Lee or Dave Tunnicliffe on harmonica. I lost touch with Tom 20 odd years ago and with Franny long before that. I see Kevin from time to time and have played with Ernie and Ian on and off over the years. Ernie now spends most of his time in France but Ian is still fairly active playing locally with scratch bands and also accoustically and incidentally writing lots of good stuff. I still play when the opportunity arises but there aren't too many places these days.

Hope this may be of interest.

Tony Jenkinson
Hi Tony, those were the good old days, I've always thought that if Ian had been so inclined he would have gone right to the top in the music business, probable one of the best all round guitar players I've seen from this area, he was one of the first people I saw using jazz chords, a great player and a good lad to boot
Old 16-08-2011, 14:26   #9

Hi Jinks, good to know you are still alive and kicking. I saw Ernie a few years ago in France, just the same as ever and the same arguments while 'in drink'. It's been years since I was back and I don't think I will be over again.
stew as ever
whitecrags is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..