Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2010, 23:53   #1

Did Rishton start the Green Party?

The avatar of Ken Moss reminded me of my old headmaster - George Akenhead Knowlson - known as GAK, of St. Peter's and Paul's school in Rishton back in the late 1940's. There was a shield in the school with the single word "Reviresco", and he explained to us that it was Rishton's motto and was Latin for "I grow green again" and if we were clever enough to pass our 11-plus exams we could go to grammar school and learn Latin - and I was one of the three lucky ones in my year, and I've always found it useful for crosswords!
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-08-2010, 02:02   #2
God Member

Re: Did Rishton start the Green Party?

One thing which us Arrod kids noticed when Gt. Harwood 'Top Council' school was amalgamated with Rishton Sec Mod. (circa 62) to create the Norden was a lot of the Rishton kids had green teeth
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 09:08   #3
Resting in Peace

Well there is a lot of Moss about in Rishton
Old 28-08-2010, 19:35   #4
Senior Member+

I am perplexed......... Ossylass going to the grammar school? To my knowledge, apart from one lad who has since become a girl, there have been no lasses at Accrington Grammar school since 1939. Latin is one of the languages which divides nouns into masculine and feminine. Is Ossylass really an Ossylad? Has he changed genders since changing from Rishtonian to Oswaldtwistlian? Come out, lad/lass.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 21:57   #5

No, Bob - I can assure you that I am female, and have three offspring to prove it. Back in 1947/8 - 11 plus = grammar school and if you failed you went to a secondary modern school, and I went to Accrington High School - no sex change, sorry if I confused you.
Old 29-08-2010, 12:05   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
No, Bob - I can assure you that I am female, and have three offspring to prove it. Back in 1947/8 - 11 plus = grammar school and if you failed you went to a secondary modern school, and I went to Accrington High School - no sex change, sorry if I confused you.
Ya but you are showing your age ossylass
Old 29-08-2010, 12:40   #7

It's never been a secret, Jaysay. The portrait's in the attic!
Old 29-08-2010, 12:54   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's never been a secret, Jaysay. The portrait's in the attic!
So is mine, it only has one ear though
Old 02-09-2010, 18:35   #9
Common Sense Member

'Reviresco' is widely acknowledged to mean 'I flourish' and since I got a severe ticking off for using the hallowed council crest as my avatar I have since had an original one of my own made up with council approval.

The crest is a great source of pride for both myself and Cllr Grayson and we have since adopted it as our letterhead.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 19:38   #10
God Member

Oh Dear Ken...I don't think the Greens would be too impressed with the idea that Rshton is the spiritual home of their movement. Just the opposite - Rishton was the birthplace of Ernie Marsden, who along with his mates Rutherford & Geiger did some of the first investigations into atomic structure, which in turn begat the bomb, nuclear power, etc...not exactly in the Green bible.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 19:56   #11
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Oh Dear Ken...I don't think the Greens would be too impressed with the idea that Rshton is the spiritual home of their movement. Just the opposite - Rishton was the birthplace of Ernie Marsden, who along with his mates Rutherford & Geiger did some of the first investigations into atomic structure, which in turn begat the bomb, nuclear power, etc...not exactly in the Green bible.
I never suggested it was, Tealeaf. In fact I think that (beyond the thread title) that's the first time the Green Party has been brought up.

Marsden eventually got poached by Rutherford in 1915 and went to New Zealand but was knighted in 1958. There's a blue plaque on his house on Hermitage Street to commemorate him.

Those of us who are interested in the history of the village are rather proud of that too. There was also George Tomlinson, one of my council predecessors, who eventually went on to become Minister of Education for Clement Atlee.

Old 02-09-2010, 20:11   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I never suggested it was, Tealeaf. In fact I think that (beyond the thread title) that's the first time the Green Party has been brought up.
Thats a little bit like going into a bookshop, buying a copy of the Bible and after opening up, find from the third page in you're reading the Koran.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 21:57   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Shame they didn't do the "Tests" in Rishton.
Old 02-09-2010, 23:26   #14

Ken, I remember George Tomlinson living across the road from us in Harwood Road when I was a youngster. My dad, who was the treasurer at the conservative club at the time wasn't very impressed by him!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:32   #15
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Ken, I remember George Tomlinson living across the road from us in Harwood Road when I was a youngster. My dad, who was the treasurer at the conservative club at the time wasn't very impressed by him!
Not surprising really, he was a Labour man....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..