Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2012, 22:53   #1
Senior Member+

Question Easy Places to get a Job in Accy!

Anyone got any incidences of places where it was easy to get a job in the old days (50's 60's 70's to the present day), any time - perhaps part-time jobs, student jobs are where the employer was always looking for new staff, as possibly a high turn over.

I recall working at Whites Garage, Burnley Road - which was a Toyota dealer ship, used to clean and fit new cars as they came in and also work on the petrol pumps. Was good for students and part-timers!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2012, 23:00   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Easy Places to get a Job in Accy!

Saturday girls at Woolies when I was at the High School in the sixties.
Old 28-07-2012, 01:35   #3

Slingers went down said hello started the next day

by Site Admin
chrismuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 07:49   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Brick yards, The Mills, Blythes, The dairys, All were dead easy to get in, in 60s, worked at most of em. Anyone who wanted to work,could get a job No Problem.
Old 28-07-2012, 09:00   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The Brick yards, The Mills, Blythes, The dairys, All were dead easy to get in, in 60s, worked at most of em. Anyone who wanted to work,could get a job No Problem.
The first time I was out of work cashy was when my health failed me, before that it was 7 days a week, and whats more loved every minute off it
Old 28-07-2012, 09:18   #6
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The first time I was out of work cashy was when my health failed me, before that it was 7 days a week, and whats more loved every minute off it
Coal mines in the seventies was pretty easy to get into but only limited jobs like conveyor man. Or a button man as we called them. In Coventry when the Car factories were laying people off, they would come to Cov Mine and would bring the car factories attitude. "One man one job" didnt work in the mines. 1 chap told me his job at the Jag was head rest fitter. But they had to get somebody else as an Head rest tester. These guys didnt last long when they were given a big shovel.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:37   #7

Joseph Arnolds (Express Gifts) and Holland Pies - had many jobs for mums - 5pm until
10pm- a great way for Mums to be at home with the children all day, then it was Dads turn to take over at 5.00
Kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:38   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The mines were pretty easy to get in the 60s, Bank Hall even took me on.
Old 28-07-2012, 09:45   #9
Senior Member+

Karrimore though I never worked there, Asda, Metcalfes, Blythes Chemicals.
Old 28-07-2012, 09:54   #10

nori as i remember, worked there, must have been a half dozen times, worked summer on the fairgrounds, winter in the nori,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 12:17   #11
Senior Member+

I walked out of a few jobs in the sixties and walked straight into another.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 18:54   #12
Senior Member+

Anyone ever work at Tattersalls Window Cleaners - they had a high staff turnover - I was there about 2 weeks.
Old 28-07-2012, 19:12   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Anyone got any incidences of places where it was easy to get a job in the old days (50's 60's 70's to the present day), any time - perhaps part-time jobs, student jobs are where the employer was always looking for new staff, as possibly a high turn over.

I recall working at Whites Garage, Burnley Road - which was a Toyota dealer ship, used to clean and fit new cars as they came in and also work on the petrol pumps. Was good for students and part-timers!
I wonder if you worked for two good pals of mine, the Bentley brothers, they ran the garage about that time but Gilbraith was the actual owner.
Old 28-07-2012, 19:26   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I wonder if you worked for two good pals of mine, the Bentley brothers, they ran the garage about that time but Gilbraith was the actual owner.
I worked there 76 - Gilbraith rings a bell - the manager we worked under was called Tony and I don't recall is surname, is that name familiar?
Old 28-07-2012, 19:41   #15
Senior Member+

Yes, Tony Bentley, he lived in the red brick detached house on the right just before Holland's pie works.
At that time Gilbraith owned the garage as well as Accrington garages, The Greyhound, and the one opposite where we kept the lorries and the one across from the Cemetery, I think it is now a bit of a shopping place and the one where the new chemist is being built on Blackburn road next to the Acorn medical place.

They employed a lot of people and there was nearly always a job going.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..