Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2012, 21:59   #1
Senior Member+

Eating Trout!

Has anyone been out to one of the local streams, rivers or reservoirs and caught trout and cooked and eaten them at home. Something I used to do a lot.

kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2012, 22:05   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Eating Trout!

Never eaten Trout in me life, No idea why, just aint. Had Shark n allsorts of weird horrible crap but never Trout.
Old 18-10-2012, 22:06   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Never eaten Trout in me life, No idea why, just aint. Had Shark n allsorts of weird horrible crap but never Trout.
Well it's never too late - get yourself up to Broad Oak if there's still any left in the brook there!
Old 18-10-2012, 22:10   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Only Fished once in me life,when i lived in spain n it bored the hell outa me, so Broad oaks a no no. plus sod that tickling also.
Old 18-10-2012, 22:14   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Only Fished once in me life,when i lived in spain n it bored the hell outa me, so Broad oaks a no no. plus sod that tickling also.
I think I've only tickled one trout in my life, but I have caught a lot using a fishing rod round streams and reservoirs in the area - I think I caught one at Jack House Res years ago but only one there. Is it tinker brook, the stream, that runs down into Ossie?
Old 18-10-2012, 22:17   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yeh as far as i know its Tinker Brook.
Old 18-10-2012, 22:45   #8
God Member

During food rationing post war, trout were on our family table regularly. I recall a metal bucket under the sink with two live trout in it.

My dad tickled for them regularly. I once watched him do it. I had to keep still and silent. He had his hand under the edge of the bank for several minutes before throwing one onto the grass.

I hadn't to tell because dad said the method was illegal.

He later taught my son how to do it.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 23:19   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Just prior to the Straits Club,to the right of the bridge,this small stretch of Tinker Brook has some decent sized Brown Trout.
I don't know where that is Steve? Is it still legal for the public to fish there - with a rod licence of course!
Old 19-10-2012, 05:01   #10

I used to fish tinker brook a few years ago, and as stevie, says there are some decent sized trout in there.The best spot I found was the waterfall, under union road, the biggest I caught was just under 3lb, which is a good size, for a small brook.Also caught roach and perch there to.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 13:43   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
I used to fish tinker brook a few years ago, and as stevie, says there are some decent sized trout in there.The best spot I found was the waterfall, under union road, the biggest I caught was just under 3lb, which is a good size, for a small brook.Also caught roach and perch there to.
What bait and tackle did you use?
Old 19-10-2012, 14:15   #12
Beacon of light

Ewwww! No. I don't like fish(other than those sold in the chippy - the ones with batter on).
My father had a friend who was a keen fisherman, and caught more than his family could eat(or perhaps didn't want to eat what he had cauight).......I would come home from school and find two trout on the slopstone wrapped in grass......my Ma would clean them and cook them for dad......he would have them on a plate complete with the head on and the milky looking eyes staring up at him.
No not for me.........I would eat my own flesh before I would eat them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 15:10   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ewwww! No. I don't like fish(other than those sold in the chippy - the ones with batter on).
My father had a friend who was a keen fisherman, and caught more than his family could eat(or perhaps didn't want to eat what he had cauight).......I would come home from school and find two trout on the slopstone wrapped in grass......my Ma would clean them and cook them for dad......he would have them on a plate complete with the head on and the milky looking eyes staring up at him.
No not for me.........I would eat my own flesh before I would eat them.
I always cut the heads and tails off, if you cut at the right spot you don't lose any meat. Grilled for about 5 mins and ad some lemon juice.
Old 19-10-2012, 20:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I don't know where that is Steve? Is it still legal for the public to fish there - with a rod licence of course!
The Straits Club, Kes,is just off Union Rd Ossie.If the Cenotaph is on your left,the Tinker and Budget will be on your right,the club is down a bit of a lane prior to the pub,Tesco Express/old Ossie fire station are at the top of that lane.
The brook flows on through Foxhill bank,gaining some extra depth and has some interesting glides,I personally have never fished it,and I have never seen a no/private fishing sign anywhere.
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 22:07   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

You'd need to talk to your local tackle shop/fishing clubs to find out exactly which stretches are private/rented/free, but regardless a rod licence will be a prerequisite.

As to Trout, after cleaning & gutting, top & tail them, fillet, then in a frying pan with salt, pepper, garlic & butter, jobs a good un !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..