Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15   #1

Fennings

As a kid , Mum used to dose us up with Fennings fever cure.Anyone else remember this foul tasting concoction?...You couldn,t drink it......only sip it.... and the taste stayed for hours...She used to give us a sweet to get rid of the taste ....it never did.This horrible cure was supposed to combat the common cold and myriad other diseases.
Not content with this torture....us kids were made to swallow olive oil and raspberry vinegar and halibut liver oil capsules...URRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18   #2
Full Member+

Re: Fennings

I do not remember the medicine but I do remember Fenning Little healers , mum called them Lung Healers , they were ever so tiny, like a pinhead of a tablet.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:03   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
As a kid , Mum used to dose us up with Fennings fever cure.Anyone else remember this foul tasting concoction?...You couldn,t drink it......only sip it.... and the taste stayed for hours...She used to give us a sweet to get rid of the taste ....it never did.This horrible cure was supposed to combat the common cold and myriad other diseases.
Not content with this torture....us kids were made to swallow olive oil and raspberry vinegar and halibut liver oil capsules...URRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
Fond rememberance, must have been wierd then as I loved it. Had a cat that started sneezing so Dad gave it some Fennings - we didn't see the cat for over a week.
Old 12-03-2011, 14:06   #4
Resting in Peace

I can always remember my mother using Hills Bronchial balsam when she had a chesty cough, I used it early on, but never seemed to do me much good
Old 12-03-2011, 17:21   #5
God Member

I liked the stuff , think the quinine in it gave me a taste for Gin and Tonic in later years
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 18:31   #6
Resting in Peace

LOL .. 'you lot' are so funny.

Only Beecham's Powder ... put on a spoon mixed with a fruit jam .. that was yucky too.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 19:35   #7
Beacon of light

I remember Fennings Fever cure, and the little lung healers.......and Beechams powders(Kate, we got 'em just as they were, we were too poor to get jam).
I hated Cod Liver oil, but the rule in our house was, if you didn't take the cod liver oil, then you didn't get your share of the clinic orange juice.
I used to get around this by swigging my clinic orange juice when Ma was out of the house, and diluting what was left in the bottle with tap water.

Virol, Scotts Emulsion...the stuff that kept us going...oh no! sorry that was California Syrup of Figs
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 20:21   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
then you didn't get your share of the clinic orange juice.
I used to get around this by swigging my clinic orange juice when Ma was out of the house, and diluting what was left in the bottle with tap water.

Gosh, forgotten about that .. yes, was really thick . Can taste it now. Naughty girl ... Guess survival of the fittest, eh ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 20:26   #9
God Member

i remember Fennings cooling powders, i used them once or twice for Reece when he was a baby
Old 12-03-2011, 20:29   #10
Beacon of light

Oooh, it was lovely. We never got sweet things, so this was a real treat, and to be denied it because I wouldn't have the cod liver oil, was a real punishment.

As for sweet things.......we used to sit on the back step during the summer(although we called it the back stoop) with a bit of rhubarb and a paper twist of sugar......if we had no rhubarb, it was a twist of paper with cocoa and a bit of sugar......dipping our mucky fingers in and licking off the chocolatey flavour. The nearest we got to chocolate was 'Worm Cakes'.....does anyone remember those?
Aah sweet memories.
Old 12-03-2011, 20:46   #11

Always used to have to drink Fever Cure straight out of the bottle. Thought it was poison but my mother always had a good look at the bottle and wouldn't let me off until a decent amount had gone down my throat.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 21:49   #12
God Member

What was that "malt extract" stuff ? my family never had it but other did , a largetin or jam jar in the middle of the dinner table and after the food had been eaten those who wanted dug in and helped themselves to a spoonful , the stuff looked like treacle but was I suppose some sort of 1950s food supplement.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 08:22   #13
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
What was that "malt extract" stuff ? my family never had it but other did , a largetin or jam jar in the middle of the dinner table and after the food had been eaten those who wanted dug in and helped themselves to a spoonful , the stuff looked like treacle but was I suppose some sort of 1950s food supplement.
Virol(mentioned in post 7).......I hated that too. Maybe because it was cod liver oil and malt......I just cannot stand cod liver oil........I know it is good for you, but it is hateful stuff.
Old 13-03-2011, 09:23   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
LOL .. 'you lot' are so funny.

Only Beecham's Powder ... put on a spoon mixed with a fruit jam .. that was yucky too.
Beecham's powders, hell my mother used to swear by them, first signs of a cold out the the BPs
Old 13-03-2011, 09:26   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Virol(mentioned in post 7).......I hated that too. Maybe because it was cod liver oil and malt......I just cannot stand cod liver oil........I know it is good for you, but it is hateful stuff.
Ugh cod liver oil Margaret I shudder just thinking about it, hated it with a vengeance

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..